Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,960,936 times

Advertisements

groar,

In a past visit to Pittsburgh, I attended the Three Rivers Art Festival and noticed a large number of food trucks lining the walk that skirts Point State Park. They obviously weren't in violation of any laws. Which brings to mind neighborhood ice cream trucks that play their enticing jingles to lure children into the street. Not to mention Farmers' Markets and the Strip District that displays seasonal vegetables or the catch of the day in outdoor stalls. Could it be that your opinion is Yinzers would prefer drinking an Iron City Beer in a sports bar to a Dos Equis from taco truck? My suggestion is let the consumer decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM

632 posts, read 1,066,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think so.

The Original Hot Dog of Oakland fought for 10 years to get a South Side location, finally got a location across from the Burger King and failed within a short time after opening.

Pickle Barrel had good dogs, and was around before South Side became Pittsburgh's tourist destination, and isn't reopening after their fire.

There is plenty of other junk food available over there, there really isn't a lack of places. When I lived over there, I liked the Crossroads' hot dogs which are a lot cheaper than anything a coney island would offer.
Sorry - should have specified. I'm not talking about an American/National Coney Island..not one of the originals like in downtown Detroit. I'm talking about a Leos/etc, one of the 24/7 greasy spoons that has the coney side, as well as a greasy breakfast and all sorts of other stuff. Something you can hit up at 3am when you're hammered and get a hani/fries and then again at 11am when you wakeup wanting hashbrowns and an omelette. Kind of like a Ritters in East Liberty, thats open 24/7 and in the middle of hte bar strip. Those places are jam packed back home at all hours of the day.

Digressing - I also have not seen any bike repair shops. With all the riders I see, I have yet to see a shop somewhere offering repair services? I could just have not yet been exposed to one.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,620,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
groar,

In a past visit to Pittsburgh, I attended the Three Rivers Art Festival and noticed a large number of food trucks lining the walk that skirts Point State Park. They obviously weren't in violation of any laws. Which brings to mind neighborhood ice cream trucks that play their enticing jingles to lure children into the street. Not to mention Farmers' Markets and the Strip District that displays seasonal vegetables or the catch of the day in outdoor stalls. Could it be that your opinion is Yinzers would prefer drinking an Iron City Beer in a sports bar to a Dos Equis from taco truck? My suggestion is let the consumer decide.
yes, there are food trucks in pittsburgh, but the restrictions on how the food has to be prepared (it cannot be cooked in the truck), licensing, parking, etc make it difficult to do, and impossible to follow the model that food trucks in other cities use of just driving around and parking in any parking spot. and selling alcohol? are you kidding me? believe me, if it was that easy to open one, people would be doing it. i think food trucks would be very successful in pittsburgh and i'd be happy to see "the consumers decide". the problem is, the city has already decided for them.

there's a reason you don't see those 3 rivers arts festival food trucks around the city, you only see them at events like that.

this article covers some of the myriad reasons that opening a food truck in pittsburgh is difficult and why the ones that do exist are very restricted in where they can do business. i think it would be a great thing for the food scene and the city in general if these stupid laws were done away with. other cities have accomplished this. but the laws DO EXIST NOW and that is a reality that someone starting a business has to consider.

The food truck trend is slow to reach here, thanks in part to local legal roadblocks - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

highlights:

- food trucks can't be within 500 feet of any business, including another food truck, that sells the same thing
- mobile food trucks parked on public property have to move every THIRTY MINUTES
- there are a limited number of permanent food truck spots (in oakland and a few downtown) that are spoken for
- food trucks can't be within 200 feet of a sporting event!!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,115,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Have you ever thought to yourself, "I wish Pittsburgh had......."

I'm thinking of starting a new business. I'm in the brainstorming phase.
The questions I would ask back is what sort of scope are you looking for? Do you want a small part time business? Do you want to operate out of your home, or want a retail environment? Do you want something that will start small and grow, or can you make a big splash and start big?

Are you into food? (that seems to be a big one here) And unless you are willing to find a bookstore niche and fail anyway, I wouldn't even try that one.

We started our own janitorial business and we make a good living but the work is hard. It's not fiscally advantageous for us to hire, so we do all the work ourselves. This means we don't get vacations, and often days off are working days too -- even if it's just an hour or two.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,536,533 times
In a past visit to Pittsburgh, I attended the Three Rivers Art Festival and noticed a large number of food trucks lining the walk that skirts Point State Park.[/quote]

This is concession related specifically to the arts festival. It's there for the festival and gone when the festival is over. And AFAIK, it's one company that runs that entire concession for the festival, even though they make it look like separate booths/trucks. They (or similar outfit(s)) may come in for other large events too, like the Three Rivers Regata, but it's still a special temporary case and not the same as a normal food truck.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM

270 posts, read 337,808 times
The South Hills DESPERATELY needs a decent Mexican food place. The few that are here are either disgusting (as in cheez whiz sprayed on top of a frozen burrito) or second rate Tex Mex imitations. And then there's Taco Bell.

My fear is that there are none because most Pittsburghers think Taco Bell IS real Mexican food. (Sorry, could not resist).

In general it would be great to see more decent restaurants in the Pgh suburbs. Currently options are mostly limited to old-school Italian-American cuisine and pubs serving pizza/hot wings.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,944,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
The South Hills DESPERATELY needs a decent Mexican food place. The few that are here are either disgusting (as in cheez whiz sprayed on top of a frozen burrito) or second rate Tex Mex imitations. And then there's Taco Bell.

My fear is that there are none because most Pittsburghers think Taco Bell IS real Mexican food. (Sorry, could not resist).

In general it would be great to see more decent restaurants in the Pgh suburbs. Currently options are mostly limited to old-school Italian-American cuisine and pubs serving pizza/hot wings.
I believe I have found a kindred soul!

Too bad you missed last Friday's dinner at Orbis Caffe. May was Mexico month and the month-end dinner was a 7-course tasting meal of stuff no Mexican resto is serving in these parts. And only one course was on a tortilla

Sounds like you'd really enjoy KousKous as well.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM

270 posts, read 337,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I believe I have found a kindred soul!

Too bad you missed last Friday's dinner at Orbis Caffe. May was Mexico month and the month-end dinner was a 7-course tasting meal of stuff no Mexican resto is serving in these parts. And only one course was on a tortilla

Sounds like you'd really enjoy KousKous as well.
Yeah, so far I kind of like Los Chiludos (at Southpointe near Canonsburg) and Mad Mex, but they are more like Tex-Mex (and expensive for what they are). We don't even have a nationwide Mexican chain restaurat here since Chi-Chis went under!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,049,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
highlights:

- food trucks can't be within 500 feet of any business, including another food truck, that sells the same thing
- mobile food trucks parked on public property have to move every THIRTY MINUTES
- there are a limited number of permanent food truck spots (in oakland and a few downtown) that are spoken for
- food trucks can't be within 200 feet of a sporting event!!
Sounds like the perfect time for a suburb to get a culinary edge on the city by welcoming food trucks.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,496,824 times
I went to Trader Jack's website (the Bridgeville flea market) and here's what is on their main webpage:

Quote:
THE SALE OF PREPARED FOOD OR CONCESSIONS AND
BEVERAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

The sale of packaged food is permitted but the vendor must register as a food vendor when purchasing a spot. Anyone selling food items must obtain General Liability Insurance with a certificate naming Trader Jacks Flea Market, Inc. as additionally insured and have a certificate from Allegheny County Health Department prior to selling food at Trader Jacks Flea Market.

ANYONE FOUND NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE IMMEDIATELY AND NO REFUND WILL BE ISSUED.
Trader Jack's Flea Market Bridgeville, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh