Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Apparently from 1940-1970, a lot of the remaining housing in the Strip was condemned and razed.
Looking at those pictures I can see why. Goodness talk about lean tos. Goodness, think we can do better than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Thank you very much, pman, for sharing this article with us. I was completely unaware of this, and considering I live literally spitting distance from this site I find the content to be very important.

Americans are increasingly shifting back into urban living. Many suburbs have now grown to the point where commute times are maddening, taxes are increasing nearer to the levels they originally attempted to escape from in the cities as these suburbs demand more public services and infrastructure, and people are starting to feel a greater "disconnect" with those around them. I'm 25, and many in my generation grew up in those sidewalk-less cul-de-sac-ridden (cul-de-SUCKs, as I call them) sterile environments where you were fully dependent upon your vehicle. We're breaking free from that trend, and the only obstacle a city like Pittsburgh still faces on getting the recent influx of educated young people to STAY is its public school system (even if the perceived school quality is actually worse than the prevailing school quality in many cases).

Just today I walked back-and-forth to a half-day at work in Oakland and then walked back home after dropping my car off to get inspected along Baum Boulevard. I'll then walk back to pick it up from the garage and drive it home. My partner walked to work this morning on the North Shore. We routinely walk to the Strip District on weekend mornings. While Polish Hill is a LONG walk from a lot of areas it is still WALKABLE whereas I couldn't really walk to much of anything of interest either where I grew up or where I was formerly living in NooooooVA.

Keeping Pittsburgh walkable and accessible for EVERYONE is IMPERATIVE if we wish to regain our spot as "America's Most Livable City" from Honolulu. When I first moved here I stood along the North Shore RiverWalk trail, surveyed the skyline, and teared up in happiness. The notion of our riverfront property being reserved exclusively for the wealthy disgusts me.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Not only did the Strip used to have a lot more housing (rowhouses mostly, similar to the few stands remaining on the upper portions of Penn Avenue), there also used to be inclines which went from the Hill District to the strip, which was one of the primary ways the working class in Pittsburgh commuted. Strange how things change huh?

FWIW, I think it's safe to say no new SFH/townhouse construction in Pittsburgh (which isn't federally-funded mixed-income) will offer options for less than $250,000-$300,000. It just can't be done. Cheaper condos and apartments are a possibility however.

Regardless, while this plan sucks balls, I'm all for the Strip becoming a playground for the wealthy. Before it started gentrifying last decade, the population was down to like 200 people. I think there's no better place to gentrify than a neighborhood which essentially has no inhabitants, because there's virtually no one to displace.

Last edited by eschaton; 10-30-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
Yes, I recall a CD thread a while back in which some photographs of the old inclines were shared along with a personal story or two about those days. Really cool stuff.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM

423 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Yes, I recall a CD thread a while back in which some photographs of the old inclines were shared along with a personal story or two about those days. Really cool stuff.
Here's one:
http://tinyurl.com/8zcbbyg

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
FWIW, I think it's safe to say no new SFH/townhouse construction in Pittsburgh (which isn't federally-funded mixed-income) will offer options for less than $250,000-$300,000. It just can't be done. Cheaper condos and apartments are a possibility however.
I tend to agree, and I suspect for at least a while, most condos won't be too much cheaper. New mid-to-upscale housing units in the center are just in too high of demand for it to make sense for developers to try to build for the bottom of the market. Apartments could be a bit cheaper, however (more on that below).

Of course the real issue is making sure new housing developments don't destroy the very factors that are causing so much demand for housing units in these locations, and instead continue to enhance those factors.

Quote:
Regardless, while this plan sucks balls, I'm all for the Strip becoming a playground for the wealthy. Before it started gentrifying last decade, the population was down to like 200 people. I think there's no better place to gentrify than a neighborhood which essentially has no inhabitants, because there's virtually no one to displace.
I mostly agree, although I wouldn't mind seeing some of those "micro" apartments that Burns & Scalo wants to put in First Side. Those are not at the bottom of the market, but they can extend the range of households which can afford to live in a location. There are many virtues to doing that, including that it would provide support for a broader range of local entertainment and retail, and that could be complementary with the Strip as a regional amenity.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
I live the grittiness of the Strip, I would hate to see it become a yuppie playground.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 PM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
YES! What a crime that these guys are gone now. Great photo.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I live the grittiness of the Strip, I would hate to see it become a yuppie playground.
I don't know about "yuppie" folks moving there. Most of the time it is older folks. Remember the SCHOOL issue in Pittsburgh. Most younger folks with money won't move there IMHO.

Anyway, I am trying to be open minded about the idea. Haven't really formed an opinion and I am certainly not against the wealthy like Brian seems to be. Goodness he really has a chip on his shoulder for some reason.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't know about "yuppie" folks moving there. Most of the time it is older folks. Remember the SCHOOL issue in Pittsburgh. Most younger folks with money won't move there IMHO.

Anyway, I am trying to be open minded about the idea. Haven't really formed an opinion and I am certainly not against the wealthy like Brian seems to be. Goodness he really has a chip on his shoulder for some reason.

OK, let's just go with upper middle class people. I have no problem with wealthy people, but moving into the Strip and the Downtown will require some cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh