Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

I have never fished it, but always wanted to try fishing the Youghiogheny. I was thinking of riding my bike along the trail and finding a more remote area of it to fish. I wasn't going to fly fish it, I was going to use a spinner. I 1/8 oz Rooster or something like that. Not going to mention the color. Anyway, I heard there are some very large fish in there. It is more a catch and release due to the pollution, but I don't mind fishing for sport and not food.

Fly Fishing Pennsylvania's Youghiogheny River

Last edited by gg; 06-10-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have never fished it, but always wanted to try fishing the Youghiogheny. I was thinking of riding my bike along the trail and finding a more remote area of it to fish. I wasn't going to fly fish it, I was going to use a spinner. I 1/8 oz Roaster or something like that. Not going to mention the color. Anyway, I heard there are some very large fish in there. It is more a catch and release due to the pollution, but I don't mind fishing for sport and not food.

Fly Fishing Pennsylvania's Youghiogheny River

I've done this.. Packed my mountain bike and fly rod. Lots of areas on the river Near Ohiopyle are deemed Trophy Trout waters and fly fishing only

Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I've done this.. Packed my mountain bike and fly rod. Lots of areas on the river Near Ohiopyle are deemed Trophy Trout waters and fly fishing only
Okay, you have done it. Any luck or of course in your case, skill?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Okay, you have done it. Any luck or of course in your case, skill?
Absolutely. It's a bike and Trout fishermans paradise

Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
h_curtis,

Is that a roaster or rooster? A rooster tail is my second go to lure. I prefer to use them in deep faster water.

Talking about pollution, I've been reading a lot about the Marcellus shale activity in the area and the quality of the water after the fracting. Has this had any impact on the streams or fish?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 AM
gg

Quote:
Absolutely. It's a bike and Trout fishermans paradise
Sounds interesting. I have read about it in a book of great trout streams/rivers in the US and it was listed as a very unpredictable because the water temp is always very low, which makes it good fishing in the super hot weather.

Thanks Scott, I might have to give that a go. I suspect you can find a spot that wouldn't be crowded?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
h_curtis,

Is that a roaster or rooster? A rooster tail is my second go to lure. I prefer to use them in deep faster water.

Talking about pollution, I've been reading a lot about the Marcellus shale activity in the area and the quality of the water after the fracting. Has this had any impact on the streams or fish?
Nothing more I enjoy then walking up to a run of water with a bunch of guys drifting meal worms or eggs, pitching in a 1/16 ounce Rooster tail, and reel em in one after the other. I never understood my more people don't use spinners

Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 AM
gg

Quote:
Nothing more I enjoy then walking up to a run of water with a bunch of guys drifting meal worms or eggs, pitching in a 1/16 ounce Rooster tail, and reel em in one after the other. I never understood my more people don't use spinners
Spinners are great in fast water. I would love to fly fish there, but that is more hit and miss. Nothing better than catching a trout on a dry fly. Wow, it has been a long time. I got so spoiled fishing in WV and upstate NY, that I stopped fishing in PA. The Yough always intrigued me though.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM

I know fishermen from different regions of the country prefer different types of lures. I have found using a panther martin in the waters I fish to be more productive than a rooster tail at certain times of the year. I prefer the holographic patterns. Do you ever use the panther martins and if so, what have been your results? A person only needs one or two types of lures.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 AM

h_curtis,

Where do you fish in West Virginia? How far is it from Pittsburgh? Do you buy a WV license and if so, how much is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh