U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM

778 posts, read 644,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Oh Jesus.

Let's get more accurate, some people want to live where they don't pay for services they use anyway - live in Butler County and suck off of Allegheny county and then blame unions or other AM infotainment boogeymen.
Can you elaborate on what free services people across county lines use?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,883,560 times
About people not wanting to live in Allegheny County . . .

Pittsburgh MSA is growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
According to the estimates, Allegheny County was +3,718 between 2010 and 2011, and the MSA was +3,461. That means the MSA outside of Allegheny County was -257. I made a prediction that Pittsburgh in 2020 could be a rare instance of a growing central city and county in a shrinking MSA, but apparently Allegheny County is growing fast enough to offset any shrinkage in the rest of the MSA.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM

7,611 posts, read 10,644,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah it's very mixed right there. On Rt 19 south of the turnpike entrance, some of those eateries and such are also in Marshall (Allegheny). The buildings in Thorn Hill RIDC are split. Actually I think more of them are in Marshall than Cranberry. Certainly a lot of the Cranberry residents who commute to Marshall are commuting only as far as those buildings in Thorn Hill.
THORN HILL! I knew I was wrong calling it Brush Creek. Brush Creek is now buried under Thorn Hill.

Jeez when I was young there was a one lane bridge there and a pathway down the creek that led to a cool rope swing we played on constantly.

Hard to believe now, but as soon as I got wheels, I rode all over my side of Cranberry. Wasn't allowed to take my bike over Rte 19. Can you imagine a 10 year old riding her bike down Freedom Rd now?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,188,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Can you imagine a 10 year old riding her bike down Freedom Rd now?
Course not, but we still see a few hoodlums (as we always say , in other words teenagers doing something stupid) trying to walk it now and then. There are a few bits that actually have sidewalks now, but it's haphazard and still the worst part is the bridge over the turnpike which has no shoulder at all. There is a sidewalk though that goes from Haldeman all the way to Haine School at this point, plus a new traffic light at Haldeman.

Got some fudge last Sunday, man that stuff is good! She took forever to open up this year, despite the early warming. Was worried it wasn't going to happen, especially since that house is always for sale (and changed brokerages recently I think). First time stopping there finally was last year in December. Sells a lot for holidays I guess, and after that I guess she takes a break until late spring.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,043 posts, read 60,607,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Guess I'm out of the loop.
Me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I'd say that's because Cranberry and Robinson are the only 2 that are experience such growth, and are also pulling things away from the city - not just people. With so many jobs and businesses being pulled out there, it creates disdain for them. It's different than a true bedroom community, where people in the city don't really feel affected by it.
How is Cranberry "pulling jobs and businesses away from the city"? I believe Westinghouse made a conscious decision to locate in Cranberry, and they weren't in the city anyway, previously. People do bring businesses such as restaurants, grocery stores, all the things one needs to survive. I'd guess a lot of the workers are people that already live in Cranberry, or close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Hm. I suppose it depends upon what you're measuring. The idea that there's only one like this here as Tiger Beer mentioned is not really right. The idea that "most cities have 20-25 of these" is also not really right, heh, not cities this size anyway, and definitely not if you're counting significant job centers as opposed to just bedroom communities.

I'm sure there are still growing areas in northern Washington County (Peters), western Westmoreland (Murrysville), western Allegheny near the airport (Robinson/Moon) and southern Butler near Cranberry. If you count up all the municipalities, there are probably a dozen at least I would think. Murrysville area is not really a job cluster though I don't think.
True. Denver is just one step above Pittsburgh in MSA size, and there aren't 20-25 areas like Cranberry around that I know of. Highlands Ranch comes closest, but they're much different places. Kind of like apples to oranges.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,263,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How is Cranberry "pulling jobs and businesses away from the city"? I believe Westinghouse made a conscious decision to locate in Cranberry, and they weren't in the city anyway, previously. People do bring businesses such as restaurants, grocery stores, all the things one needs to survive. I'd guess a lot of the workers are people that already live in Cranberry, or close by.
There's a lot more than just Westinghouse out there, and I'm sure some of those companies were either formerly located in Pittsburgh (or the core area) or at least considered locating within Pittsburgh.

Even if that is just a perception, and not reality, I think that it explains some of the disdain that goes towards places like Cranberry. City-enthusiasts (for lack of a better term) feel that many of those jobs should be located within the city, and that the companies are just feeding off of Pittsburgh's education base, cultural base, and workforce. It's an easy feeling to understand when you're job hunting and are commute conscious; coming across job after job in Cranberry or Robinson is frustrating. The jobs are so close, but still out of reach to you. I'm sure it's equally frustrating to live in the exburbs and have to deal with finding job after job being located downtown, but that is to be expected , so people are less empathetic to that.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM

6,347 posts, read 4,527,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
There's a lot more than just Westinghouse out there, and I'm sure some of those companies were either formerly located in Pittsburgh (or the core area) or at least considered locating within Pittsburgh.

Even if that is just a perception, and not reality, I think that it explains some of the disdain that goes towards places like Cranberry. City-enthusiasts (for lack of a better term) feel that many of those jobs should be located within the city, and that the companies are just feeding off of Pittsburgh's education base, cultural base, and workforce. It's an easy feeling to understand when you're job hunting and are commute conscious; coming across job after job in Cranberry or Robinson is frustrating. The jobs are so close, but still out of reach to you. I'm sure it's equally frustrating to live in the exburbs and have to deal with finding job after job being located downtown, but that is to be expected , so people are less empathetic to that.
That sounds greedy to me. Even NYC doesn't "have it all"--plenty of corporate outposts in Westchester, CT, LI, and North Jersey. We all have choices to make. In addition, even though places like Cranberry are starting to attract more businesses, the urban core remains the definite epicenter of Pittsburgh's corporate sector. We all have choices to make in life. Have a job offer out in the far North Hills but don't want to leave your precious East End? Either buck up and deal with the commute or find another job. Simple as that. I'm definitely a city enthusiast first and foremost, but I also don't wish death on communities that happen to differ from my own, even if I myself would personally rather not live there.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,883,560 times
As I have argued before, it doesn't make sense for every business to pay a premium for a central location. That doesn't mean all local site locations have been ideal, and we could (and likely are) distorting that market in various unhealthy ways. But the goal can't be to have every employer located in the City--they wouldn't fit, and it wouldn't make economic sense.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM

264 posts, read 231,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
There are more than just Cranberry and Robinson. North Strabane/South Strabane is growing at an incredible rate. My current site for my job (it constantly moves) is in Washington and I drove down 19 for the first time in a year. There are lots of new housing plans and offices and strip malls being built in between Peters and Washington, I'd say on par with Cranberry. I think N. Strabane will have more than 20,000 or more residents by 2020 and it only had about 13,000 in 2010.
The traffic on 19 in the Peters/McMurray area is significantly worse than it was only 5-7 years ago. Definitely a lot of growth in that area. Southpointe and other areas of Cecil township are growing as well, and I've noticed many former wooded hillsides in the Fayette townships are rapidly filling up with new homes as well.

The 79 south interchanges at Heidelberg, Bridgeville, and Canonsburg are already at capacity during PM rush hour and often back up to the highway. Southpointe's northern exit at Morganza Road is also a nightmare, despite recently added traffic signals. Without major infrastructure upgrades, I really don't know how much more growth some of these areas will be able to sustain.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
The traffic on 19 in the Peters/McMurray area is significantly worse than it was only 5-7 years ago. Definitely a lot of growth in that area. Southpointe and other areas of Cecil township are growing as well, and I've noticed many former wooded hillsides in the Fayette townships are rapidly filling up with new homes as well.

The 79 south interchanges at Heidelberg, Bridgeville, and Canonsburg are already at capacity during PM rush hour and often back up to the highway. Southpointe's northern exit at Morganza Road is also a nightmare, despite recently added traffic signals. Without major infrastructure upgrades, I really don't know how much more growth some of these areas will be able to sustain.
That is the exact route I take home its really getting bad, I agree. I think Peters is still growing but not as fast as North Strabane. The section of 19 by the Meadow Lands is exploding, there was a giant new plan of homes built recently. There are now so many lights inbetween Washington and Peters. There are plans to update the exits of 79, but I'm not sure about 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh