Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And don't forget -- a lot of the Brush Creek Industrial Park is in Allegheny County -- it's right at the border. The post office complex is Allegheny County. I'd bet a lot of that money funnels into Cranberry for lunch and shopping.
Yeah it's very mixed right there. On Rt 19 south of the turnpike entrance, some of those eateries and such are also in Marshall (Allegheny). The buildings in Thorn Hill RIDC are split. Actually I think more of them are in Marshall than Cranberry. Certainly a lot of the Cranberry residents who commute to Marshall are commuting only as far as those buildings in Thorn Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM

55 posts, read 93,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I might call Wheeling a little far for being a satellite, and certainly Morgantown is too far. But McKeesport, that is right on. What is McKeesport population now?
Just under 20,000. The per captia income is $13,242, actually below minimum wage. Yikes.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae22 View Post
Just under 20,000. The per captia income is $13,242, actually below minimum wage. Yikes.
Per capita income is the total wage earnings of a place's residents divided by the total population, so while a $13k per capita income is certainly low, comparing it to the minimum wage is not a very helpful metric.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Per capita income is the total wage earnings of a place's residents divided by the total population, so while a $13k per capita income is certainly low, comparing it to the minimum wage is not a very helpful metric.
It's just for reference sake. To have an average below minimum wage is still alarming. I'm assuming it's not terribly uncommon is struggling areas but still caught me off guard.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's just for reference sake. To have an average below minimum wage is still alarming. I'm assuming it's not terribly uncommon is struggling areas but still caught me off guard.
It's not an average though, it's computed by dividing by the total population, which includes wage earners and non-wage earners alike. High/low per capita incomes relative to medians can be indicative of a sizeable skew toward the upper/lower classes, an unusually high amount of wage earners (eg, few children and/or retired elderly), or an unusually low amount of wage earners (eg, many children and/or retired elderly). That's one reason a lot of Utah towns have very low per capita incomes relative to their median household/family incomes. $13k is a very low per capita income, regardless. I just figured I'd take the time to clarify what the metric really entailed.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's not an average though, it's computed by dividing by the total population, which includes wage earners and non-wage earners alike. High/low per capita incomes relative to medians can be indicative of a sizeable skew toward the upper/lower classes, an unusually high amount of wage earners (eg, few children and/or retired elderly), or an unusually low amount of wage earners (eg, many children and/or retired elderly). That's one reason a lot of Utah towns have very low per capita incomes relative to their median household/family incomes. $13k is a very low per capita income, regardless. I just figured I'd take the time to clarify what the metric really entailed.
Well it is an average, just an average for the whole population and not working population. But that's just semantics and I see what you're saying.

The median income for each household is $23,715. Still low but jumps to around $12 / Hour. I can guarantee that difference certainly isn't due to retirees or a younger population. That place is just a mess and it's damn sad.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Well it is an average, just an average for the whole population and not working population. But that's just semantics and I see what you're saying.

The median income for each household is $23,715. Still low but jumps to around $12 / Hour. I can guarantee that difference certainly isn't due to retirees or a younger population. That place is just a mess and it's damn sad.
Yes, McKeesport is in very sorry shape.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post
Although not on my short list of places to live, I have to admit that Cranberry is in one hell of a location in terms of highways! You can get onto 79 and 76 easily, meaning you can go to Pittsburgh and surrounding areas without using tunnels.
This is exactly why growth in Cranberry has taken off the way it has over the years. The excellent highway access N,S,E, & W as well as proximity to the city turned it into one of the fastest growing areas in the state.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
People want to live outside of Allegheny County. Plain and simple. I mean look at all the reassessment crap and total over extension of our county, so we have to come up with more money to feed the union/tax based workers and all the corrupt employees.
Oh Jesus.

Let's get more accurate, some people want to live where they don't pay for services they use anyway - live in Butler County and suck off of Allegheny county and then blame unions or other AM infotainment boogeymen.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I'd say that's because Cranberry and Robinson are the only 2 that are experience such growth, and are also pulling things away from the city - not just people. With so many jobs and businesses being pulled out there, it creates disdain for them. It's different than a true bedroom community, where people in the city don't really feel affected by it.
There are more than just Cranberry and Robinson. North Strabane/South Strabane is growing at an incredible rate. My current site for my job (it constantly moves) is in Washington and I drove down 19 for the first time in a year. There are lots of new housing plans and offices and strip malls being built in between Peters and Washington, I'd say on par with Cranberry. I think N. Strabane will have more than 20,000 or more residents by 2020 and it only had about 13,000 in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh