Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times

Advertisements

I was born in a place 100 miles away from Chongqing, China and live in Pittsburgh temporarily. I am surprised these two cities are so similar in many ways. Since this is a PBG forum, I am introducing some facts about Chongqing:

(1) Chongqing is called "mountain city" in China. It is the most hilly major city in that country.

(2) Chongqing has two major rivers: Yangtze River and Jialing River, and the downtown is located on the peninsula.

(3) Chongqing is probably the cloudiest major city in the world. The annual sunshine time is only about 1000 hours, or 3 hours per day. It also has the nickname "fog city".

(4) Chongqing boomed during the second world war, when it became the war-time capital of China. People from difference provinces and different countries gathered in the city and the population reached 1 million for the first time.

(5) Chongqing is famous for heavy industry, especially steel and automobiles. It is considered a blue-collar city, though people there don't like it.

(6) In recent years, the "sprawl" has created many satellite cities, and suburbs are huge.

Last edited by Bettafish; 06-06-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 AM

Some photos of Chongqing:

Old 06-06-2012, 04:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
I've actually been to Chongqing--I agree it seems like a cousin of Pittsburgh.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 AM

423 posts, read 628,915 times
I'd love to go someday, and see more of China outside of just Beijing. How would you describe the satellite cities there versus the Pittsburgh suburbs? Or, how would you compare the suburbs there to Pittsburgh's suburbs?

Having visited other huge cities in Asia, I know satellite cities there are legitimate cities in their own right, with populations in six or seven figures, viable public transportation, and commercial centers.

Seongnam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyang, Gyeonggi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,345 times
That's so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
That's so cool! Thanks for sharing!
Agreed, very interesting. The patterns do seem similar indeed.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
I'd love to go someday, and see more of China outside of just Beijing. How would you describe the satellite cities there versus the Pittsburgh suburbs? Or, how would you compare the suburbs there to Pittsburgh's suburbs?

Having visited other huge cities in Asia, I know satellite cities there are legitimate cities in their own right, with populations in six or seven figures, viable public transportation, and commercial centers.

Seongnam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyang, Gyeonggi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've not been in Pittsburgh long, so it is hard for me to compare.
Chongqing has a lot of "districts", and basically each one is centered in a valley. Some are bigger, with universities, shopping centers etc., others are smaller with some factories. In the suburbs of Pittsburgh, you can see smaller houses; but Chongqing is full of apartment buildings just like other cities in China.

Since most Chinese do not drive to work, public transportation is well developed. Chongqing literally has no bicycles, something unique in China.
Nowadays more families have cars, so traffic is terrible.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,374 times
Those are absolutely beautiful pictures (and I can see the similarities to Pittsburgh.) Chongqing has been added to my list of places that I want to visit , thanks for posting

Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I've been living on this side of the Pacific for a long time (on the Asia side).

Interestingly enough, Chongqing has always interested in me highly. I've found myself quite indifferent about Shanghai and Beijing. I mean, they are great international cities, but I wouldn't personally want to live in either one.

Chongqing has always been on my list of most interesting mainland China cities to visit, and possibly live in, if I were to do such a thing.

Which is interesting, because Pittsburgh is a very interesting American city to me, much more than otherwise more famous American cities as well.

Anyways, thanks for the photos of Chongqing, and great to see such a thread!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been living on this side of the Pacific for a long time (on the Asia side).

Interestingly enough, Chongqing has always interested in me highly. I've found myself quite indifferent about Shanghai and Beijing. I mean, they are great international cities, but I wouldn't personally want to live in either one.

Chongqing has always been on my list of most interesting mainland China cities to visit, and possibly live in, if I were to do such a thing.

Which is interesting, because Pittsburgh is a very interesting American city to me, much more than otherwise more famous American cities as well.

Anyways, thanks for the photos of Chongqing, and great to see such a thread!
You guys are welcome
I thought most outsiders never heard of Chongqing.

For gentlemen only: Chongqing is great for another reason: seriously, Chinese people believe it produces the most beautiful women. lol. There is a famous saying: "In Beijing, you realize you are nobody. In Chongqing, you realize you marry too early." Many actresses and actors in China are from that area.

However, women there are also known as butch ladies, and their husband has to cook at home etc.
Scientifically speaking, some ancestors of Chongqing people are related to Tibetans as well as some Burmese.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh