Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Generalizations are dumb. I agree that the USC stereotype leans more snobby, but that does not at all describe the vast majority.
It is not a generalization, I personally know some snobby people from there. I agree that not everyone is like that, however. Just pointing out my opinion of the place considering I lived next to USC for 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Love how my opinion gets bashed by the USC clan by putting an opinion out there. I clearly stated its my opinion, and believe I have the right to one
You absolutely have a right to your opinion, the problem is, it was not stated as opinion. You stated it as fact and in such a way to insinuate all or most people from USC are like that. The only part that was opinion is that you personally don't like snooty people.

Quote:
Whether people from there believe it or not, USC folk have a certain snooty-ness about them that I personally don't like.

Last edited by raynist; 06-07-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
It is not a generalization, I personally know some snobby people from there. I agree that not everyone is like that, however. Just pointing out my opinion of the place considering I lived next to USC for 10 years.
Making a sweeping assessment of a whole on the basis of a very small part is, by definition, a generalization. I'm not denying your right to voice your opinion. I just find it steeped in a hackneyed stereotype.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM

270 posts, read 340,973 times
Quote:
Love how my opinion gets bashed by the USC clan by putting an opinion out there. I clearly stated its my opinion, and believe I have the right to one
So if I decided to bash where you lived by generalizing it with some silly stereotype you would not respond the same way?

In fact I bet your response would read something like "how dare that person make a snarky comment about my neighborhood-another USC snob!"

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'd take USC over BP, more diversity.
I'm having a hard time detecting sarcasm here. I must fix my meter.

Btw, as a USC resident, I have license to say that :-)

Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm having a hard time detecting sarcasm here. I must fix my meter.

Btw, as a USC resident, I have license to say that :-)
Both places are pretty damn white, though USC does have a decent-sized Asian population.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
To get back on track, I think either location would be a good choice. You would probably have an easier time finding a lower priced house in Bethel than in USC. I think there are still a number of areas in Bethel that can be had for low to mid 100's. In USC you would have a harder time finding a house under $170k, but there are a few. I think Bethel is a bigger school district (not sure if that is better or worse), USC is probably rated higher. I have no direct experience with either school district yet, but hear really good things about the elementary schools from my neighbors in USC. USC also has busing both ways for pre-school if you that matters to you. You will certainly be able to find a nice house in a great neighborhood close to shopping in either place. The only thing I would change about USC is that you really can't walk to any shopping (but that is probably the case in 85% of Bethel too) and there really isn't any town center section like in Mt Lebo.

As far as diversity, there are quite a few asian/indian families in USC. On my street alone we have several asian families, an indian family, russian, german, jewish, black and arabic. Granted, 95% of the people you see are white.

Not sure about the diversity of Bethel.

--Ray

Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
As far as diversity, there are quite a few asian/indian families in USC. On my street alone we have several asian families, an indian family, russian, german, jewish, black and arabic. Granted, 95% of the people you see are white.

Not sure about the diversity of Bethel.
From info published in the National Center for Education Statistics as published by the NYT:
USC student population: 92% White, 7% Asian, less than 1% each Black/Hispanic
BP student population: 97% White, 2% Black, 1% Asian

Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
If I were to pick between the two I would pick wherever I can find the nicest house in my budget within a neighborhood. For example, I would rather live in a 175000 house in Bethel Park in a neighborhood/subdivision than live in some random 175,000 in St. Clair found on some busy road. My kids need to be able to find friends close by.

"Diversity", for most means how many African Americans but realistically in more affluent Pittsburgh burbs it means how many Asians, Indians, European transplants and Jews since Pittsburgh's affluent African Americans tend to live more modestly and stay close to their families. My neighborhood (smallish less than 150 homes) is fairly diverse but we still don't have one African American family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh