Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,555 times

Advertisements

So for one reason or another (I'll let you speculate), I made a long trip by foot yesterday evening.

This involved walking from Southside Works, over the Hot Metal Bridge up into Oakland into the student housing streets for a barbeque in the early evening.

From there, walking back down over the Birmingham Bridge and down to Carson St for some bar hopping.

From there, at 2am-ish, walking over hte 10th St bridge, up through Duquesne, up into the Hill District at about Centre and Crawford.

From there at about 3:30am-ish, walked from Centre and Crawford, up Centre, down Kirkpatrick, and back over the Birmingham to my apartment in Southside.

I tell people about this this morning, and all my friends freak out saying everything from "you walked ridiculously too far," "should have called a cab," "those areas are NOT safe," "what were you thinking," and so on and so forth...especially concerned with how I walked through the "ghettos" of South Oakland and The Hill Dist. at that time of day.

I never once on this trek felt concerned for my safety/well being. Is it true that a lot of people think that those areas I walked through are bad enough to avoid and I'm just oblivious? Or are my friends just pansies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,032 times
Your friends are pansies. Sounds like a fun walk!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
I'd say you just didn't venture far enough into the Hill district to hit areas where I'd feel uncomfortable walking in late in the night. I never found S Oakland to be at all dangerous.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'd say you just didn't venture far enough into the Hill district to hit areas where I'd feel uncomfortable walking in late in the night. I never found S Oakland to be at all dangerous.
Thats what I was suspecting. The areas I walked through were a bit bombed out, but not bad at all. Just a few random wanderers out at that time. It was actually pretty cool walking over the Birmingham and seeing fishers just putting their boats in at that time. That and the gravel (I think thats what it is, or slag?) yard right under the Birmingham was running full steam.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
The Hill's reputation as one big war zone is rather overstated.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Hill's reputation as one big war zone is rather overstated.
Especially along the main drags. I wouldn't go wandering slightly inebriated through the side streets trying to take a short cut at 3:00AM, though, unless you're intimately familiar with the Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: