Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

I was on my way home and did a little shopping. I locked my bike up outside of a store and went in to get what I needed. I saw an employee frantically wheeling his bike back in the store and I asked, what are you doing? He said a few black youths stole someone's bike and tried to steal a couple others. I asked about mine and he said they tried, but didn't rip it off. Someone gave chase and got one bike back, but not his own. It made me realize East Liberty is still the old East Liberty that I have known for 40 years. Ah well, change if it ever really happens takes a lot of time. Also, the dumb projects all over the place will just make things very slow going. I am buying a few more locks and if I see certain profiles, I will follow them to make sure my belongings are safe. It is what it is I guess. The stereo type stuff lives. What can anyone do. It has been the same all my life and will be long after I am dead. If any cyclist read this, use a few locks on your bike. One isn't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
...if I see certain profiles, I will follow them to make sure my belongings are safe.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
That stinks, but I don't think bike theft is enough to damn it as "the old East Liberty." Bike thefts are relatively low on the scale of crime, and I'm sure they happen in places like Oakland and Shadyside often as well. If bike theft is what East Liberty is receiving a bad rep for these days, I'd call that incredible progress. What are "all the projects all over the place" that you're talking about? All of the large public housing towers have been torn down, correct? Are there any public housing projects remaining in East Liberty?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Break down of Central East Liberty's "projects":
There are over five senior citizen/disabled apartments south of the Blvd.
Fairfield/Penn Negley Mixed Income Apartments really aren't too shabby...
Penn Plaza is just a nuisance complex.
East Liberty Gardens, now that's a taste of ghetto it's actually family rent section 8. I bet in the places above no drug dealer owns a gun. In the Gardens most of them probably have macks or glocks.
I can sometimes eggaderte crime, but I honestly disagree with you that East Liberty south of the Bvld (excluding the Gardens) is rough. Does crime still happen? Yes... Do hood rats & dope boyz still patrol the area especially mixed income? Yes, yet were does it not happen?
I stand by any opinion that East Lib from the Blvd to Staton is still rough, yet since the Crack Stacks (East Mall, Lincoln Park & Pennly Penn Circle East) got razed East Liberty's had hope. Though IMO it will take YEARS before northern East Liberty is desirable agian...

Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Break down of Central East Liberty's "projects":
There are over five senior citizen/disabled apartments south of the Blvd.
Fairfield/Penn Negley Mixed Income Apartments really aren't too shabby...
Penn Plaza is just a nuisance complex.
East Liberty Gardens, now that's a taste of ghetto it's actually family rent section 8.
Thanks for the breakdown. Obviously senior citizen/disabled complexes aren't really an issue. The other ones aren't government operated, though are they? Section 8 is a government program, but it's a different story than true housing projects.

Quote:
I can sometimes eggaderte crime, but I honestly disagree with you that East Liberty south of the Bvld (excluding the Gardens) is rough. Does crime still happen? Yes... Do hood rats & dope boyz still patrol the area especially mixed income? Yes, yet were does it not happen?
Fox Chapel

Quote:
Though IMO it will take YEARS before northern East Liberty is desirable agian...
You may be right on that, but I would point out that there's a difference between a desirable neighborhood and a merely solid neighborhood. I can see that section of East Liberty becoming steady, solid, and safe relatively soon (5 - 7 years?). That doesn't mean that we'll be recommending it as a high end neighborhood to anybody, but it does mean that we won't be warning people away from it either. Maybe along the lines of Troy Hill, lower Greenfield (minus the good school district), or Hamnett Place.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
h_curtis,

The realities of life. I'm sorry you or anyone had to go through this kind of ordeal. People don't need that kind of hassle. Thankfully you didn't loose your bike. An ounce of prevention...YadaYadaYada

h-curtis,

Get a good lock. A person once told me, " Locks are only good for keeping honest people honest."

Last edited by Yac; 06-12-2012 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: 2 posts merged

Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
We'll never be like some places in Europe, where you only need a cheap wheel lock.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
There are brand new unoccupied section 8 looking projects everytime I go through East Liberty and that's only on Negley Avenue and thereabouts. They aren't high-rises, yet they are a repeat of what doesn't work and gets graffiti and trashed/houses young thugs.

The city has a low murder count this year > 16 as of May 27 and East Liberty leads with 4.

The facts are evading you who believe Whole Foods, etc, are another renaissance for a doomed part of our city.

When you bury dead people do they ever come back? Places down in the dumps will never return to their former glamour.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
I saw an employee frantically wheeling his bike back in the store...
Funny that an employee, who must be there nearly every day, felt it safe to leave his bike outside in the first place if it's that bad....

Quote:
Fox Chapel
I ran into a roofer not long ago, who'd worked on the same site in Fox Chapel that I did. (I won't name the site, but Curtis knows where it is, cause he named it a while back when I made a vague reference to it.) The roofer and I got to BSing, and he told me that they'd lost 400 bucks worth of shingles from the site one time. About that same time the residents' association built a shed for their maintenance equipment.

The maintenance guy played dumb, until the roofer made it clear that he was about to call the cops, and the guy fessed up that the President of the HOA had told him to just take whatever he needed...

Theft is theft.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
[quote]The city has a low murder count this year > 16 as of May 27 and East Liberty leads with 4. [quote]
No it doesn't! It's got two (one on N Saint Clair & one on N Euclid St) so far...

Last year only the Southside Flats had more theft than East Liberty (the lion's share happened south of the Bvld). Are these two the worst areas of the city??? Answer no, but you gotta use street smarts and for city standards that ain't bad. Over a corse of 10yrs (1997-2007) Homewood had 64 homicides & 170 shootings... That's about an average of 6 homicides & 17 shootings a year... Now that's a rough area, but the decade before was probably even worse. East Liberty from 1990-2000 had 25 homicides and these were it's worst years! From 2008-2012 its had 10 homicides almost all occurred north of the Bvld or in East Liberty Gardens. IMO Central East Liberty is livable and improving despite a sharp rise in theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh