Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'd bet that for the money, transit or intercity rail would make more sense than all that highway money
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I can't speak to the prices, but at least as far as selection, the first picture you posted nearly mirrors what the GE in Wexford looks like.
yes...but that picture doesn't capture the entire isle worth of beer that extends in both directions

Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 AM

349 posts, read 616,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
My number one wish for Pittsburgh is competitive salaries.

I know the low cost of living is supposed to make up for it, but it doesn't for 2 reasons.

A.) My Student Loans don't magically become less in Pittsburgh -- In fact, they're even worse for many people here due to the high costs of most of our schools.

B.) With the influx of population, I'm still competing with lots of people with out of state salaries for homes and apartments -- especially in the standard desirable neighborhoods. On the flip side of that, I'm also negotiating salaries against people older than me who are already established and don't require as high of a salary to obtain the same lifestyle.

Yeah, I didn't think of that till you mentioned it.

Low(er) wages, ok if cost of living is low- but really, it's not. High rent + renters insurance + cost of car/ gas +utilities + food +college student loans +credit cards (if applicable) ... doesn't equate to low cost of living when you make crap to begin with.

Unless, of course, you're fortunate enough to work for one of the huge corporations downtown and don't make crap money. Even still, I see plenty of those people struggling too...

Can we just get rid of the term "low cost of living"? It's obnoxious and a bit of a smack to the face.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
yes...but that picture doesn't capture the entire isle worth of beer that extends in both directions
How big of an "isle"? Is it the size of Neville Island? Or more like Herr's Island?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
How big of an "isle"? Is it the size of Neville Island? Or more like Herr's Island?
Haha good catch. About the size of Greenland

Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post

Low(er) wages, ok if cost of living is low- but really, it's not. High rent + renters insurance + cost of car/ gas +utilities + food +college student loans +credit cards (if applicable) ... doesn't equate to low cost of living when you make crap to begin with.

Unless, of course, you're fortunate enough to work for one of the huge corporations downtown and don't make crap money. Even still, I see plenty of those people struggling too...

Can we just get rid of the term "low cost of living"? It's obnoxious and a bit of a smack to the face.
From what I gather, the companies located downtown that are headquartered in our lovely city pay pretty low relative to companies headquartered elsewhere. Like my other post, this is based on personal encounters/examples and nothing more. PPG, Highmark, and UPMC all pay below the national average for most positions, or at least the ones I've seen. Can't speak to PNC or Heinz.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If Pittsburgh is going to have any immigration boom in the future (instead of say native-born Asians and Latinos, and upper-middle class immigrants, in dribs and drabs), they will settle in ethnic enclaves to begin with.

It's a pretty natural process. Once enough people of a given ethnicity are in an area, they tell their friends and family back home where they live, and they follow and relocate nearby.

Northern black ghettos (before the Great Migration) and Chinatowns, in contrast, were not organically developed neighborhoods on the whole - they were caused by forcing Chinese and Blacks (who tended to move to rural areas) into urban areas. This was not the origin of the Hill District, but it's how the first black neighborhoods formed in Chicago and NYC.

There was a semi-serious proposal after the Haitian earthquake to settle a large number of Haitian refugees in Pittsburgh (among other places). It would have been interesting to say the least.
So what you're really hoping for is increased population? I can understand that, and it's reasonable to expect that ethnic neighborhoods are a likely byproduct of that.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post

Pittsburgh is still "low cost of living" compared to some cities, but it's quickly catching up to the average cost of living for a city. The problem is that salaries haven't increased in proportion. We're starting to see 1 bedrooms go for $800 - $1100 in the best buildings and/or best neighborhoods. Median home prices are approaching the national average and are beyond it in many neighborhoods. Yet college graduates are often facing entry level salaries in the $25K range. Our low unemployment is great, but it isn't the only economic indicator we should be looking at.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
I'm only familiar with the tech world and while Pittsburgh's salaries have traditionally been a little lower than say Silicon Valley's, they're pretty close these days. I work directly with engineers out there and they only make a little location bump in pay compared to us here. Most of the tech startups pay pretty close to what west or east coast startups pay.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm only familiar with the tech world and while Pittsburgh's salaries have traditionally been a little lower than say Silicon Valley's, they're pretty close these days. I work directly with engineers out there and they only make a little location bump in pay compared to us here. Most of the tech startups pay pretty close to what west or east coast startups pay.
All I can say is that this has not been my experience in the IT world. I worked at one "startup" (less than 10 years old), but they heavily used H1-B visas and a branch office in India. I had to scratch and claw in negotiations just to get to $32K for 60 hour weeks...which I took because it was higher than my IT contracting job at the time (salary aggregator sites said that that position was $70K median on a national scale.). Even some well known big companies have paid me less than the going rate, though not quite that much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh