Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

This could be a nice long thread methinks. Basically, despite probably loving the city, what do you wish could be changed about it?

My list, in no particular order, I wish...

• the city was located a bit further east, closer to the Northeast corridor and the ocean, while still not being directly within it
  • there was a better full-time vegetarian restaurant than the Quiet Storm, which gets crappier by the year.
  • we had an actual Latino neighborhood. An Asian neighborhood would be nice too. I'll give the latter a few decades though.
  • more middle-class families would enroll their kids in PPS, because I think we'd begin to see a dramatic turnaround
  • we had a state government which realized the value of mass transit, and wouldn't cut our existing system
  • we had more T lines - particularly heading east into the Oakland corridor and where the East Busway is
  • the Northside wasn't half-ruined by highways and poor redevelopment choices in the mid 20th century.
  • local politics was less dynastic, and it was easier for residents to get involved.
  • some form of municipal consolidation was feasible in the region.
I'm sure there's more, but I'll throw it out to the rest of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM

248 posts, read 326,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
  • there was a better full-time vegetarian restaurant than the Quiet Storm, which gets crappier by the year.
Have you tried the Loving Hut? We haven't been to the one in Pittsburgh yet but the San Fran and D.C. ones were both great. Definitely a weird vibe in their restaurants but the food is good and cheap.

Loving Hut - Pittsburgh, PA

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
Have you tried the Loving Hut? We haven't been to the one in Pittsburgh yet but the San Fran and D.C. ones were both great. Definitely a weird vibe in their restaurants but the food is good and cheap.

Loving Hut - Pittsburgh, PA
We went out there a few times. It's an interesting experience, but a haul for us unless we need to make a trip to IKEA.

That said, while they had some of the best vegan cake ever, some of the appetizers honestly came out half frozen. We tend to eat at Mad Mex if we go out that way.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
I'd like to see better development on the riverfronts, particularly the Mon riverfront and both sides of the golden triangle, with restaurants and such. The same way highways ruined the northside, highways/roads ruined the riverfront in the golden triangle, and highways and train tracks occupy or cut off the riverfront in much of the town. Poor long term planning there, though the terrain doesn't really offer many other options, particuarly on the Mon.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Quote:
  • the Northside wasn't half-ruined by highways and poor redevelopment choices in the mid 20th century.
As bad as that is, it isn't nearly as bad as some of the devastation wreaked in other big cities in this country. In some ways Pittsburgh escaped relatively unscathed.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
This could be a nice long thread methinks. Basically, despite probably loving the city, what do you wish could be changed about it?

My list, in no particular order, I wish...

• the city was located a bit further east, closer to the Northeast corridor and the ocean, while still not being directly within it
  • we had an actual Latino neighborhood. An Asian neighborhood would be nice too. I'll give the latter a few decades though.
  • more middle-class families would enroll their kids in PPS, because I think we'd begin to see a dramatic turnaround
  • we had a state government which realized the value of mass transit, and wouldn't cut our existing system
  • we had more T lines - particularly heading east into the Oakland corridor and where the East Busway is
  • local politics was less dynastic, and it was easier for residents to get involved.
  • some form of municipal consolidation was feasible in the region.
I'm sure there's more, but I'll throw it out to the rest of you.

If we were closer to the North East Corridor our real estate woudn't be as cheap. With regard to the Ocean. Lake Erie is like an ocean. We need to some how promote it and make it a better option for a vacation as opposed to a day trip.

PPS caved to the teachers union a few years ago and let them move out of the city. Clearly, this hasn't help the city schools. Perhaps, Pitt could offer full rides to the top 5% of city high school students.

There are plenty of buses that go from downtown to Oakland but they make too many stops in Uptown.

Most of the suburbs are happy paying higher taxes in exchange for having their own police dept and government. It is really only the very poor municipalities that want consolidation.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Riverfront residential property all along the rivers, even in the suburban areas.

A beach. But that would require moving Pittsburgh to the ocean or bringing the ocean to Pittsburgh.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Much improved transit(including taxi service), better utilization of our waterfronts (city and suburbs).

Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
High speed rail service.

More rapid transit service (dare I mention urban gondolas?).

More multi-unit residential in our walkable neighborhoods (I could put a long list here).

More investment in transitional/fringe areas (ditto).

A successful, reasonably dense, redevelopment of the Lower Hill site, and the remaining North Shore parcels.

Completion of the Three Rivers Park.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
1. Better and more creative low end food options. Pizza, hot dogs, mexican- that sort of thing. The sameness among pizza shops is notable, and the lack of other options that aren't chains is also unfortunate.
2. More downtown housing. I know its getting better but it has a long way to go.
3. Dryer weather- is that an option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh