Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,726,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The wealthy have always had private school, and/or the ability to live in "good" school districts. Even in "the city", there are frequently "good" schools in the weathy parts of town. Now they have another option, charter schools, and open enrollment. It was my daughter who made this observation that these wealthy, or savvy if not uber-wealthy, parents always seem to manage to get their kids into places like "School of the Arts", "School of Science and Technology", and all sorts of other charter/choice schools. She goes to an urban university and many of her teachers live in the city and have their kids in these schools. They know how to work the system.
I don't really buy your assertion, I know people with kids in the charter system and while they may fit that description, most of the kids in the schools do not fit that description. one guy openly said he was astounded to see the types of kids in the school doing so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Not actually true, I'm afraid.
1) Charter schools, as public schools, are subject to PSSA tests like all other public schools, and therefore are accountable for students' progress as measured by PSSAs.

2) In PA, charter schools are subject to periodic review by the authorizing body (typically a school board which granted the charter in the first place), specifically to hold the school accountable for its performance.
no, it is true I'm afraid, the regular PS's are also not particularly accountable. for point 2, that's what connections are for. there are plenty of connected charters that get away with more than they should, including sub par performance which drags down overall charter performance.
Brian's pessimistic point is spot on. Philadelphia is the largest district in the state (where widespread PSSA cheating has been uncovered at local schools to show AYP) and certainly, the more good charters there are, the more middle class people will take advantage that probably would have moved out since private school was not an option. there are places where charters have been an abject failure, chester comes to mind, but everything in chester seems to be an abject failure except the soccer team, which isn't getting along very well with its host city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,552,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no, it is true I'm afraid, the regular PS's are also not particularly accountable.
And I'm guessing you believe that private schools are not accountable, just connected, correct?

Quote:
Brian's pessimistic point is spot on.
In this case, I agree - the Utilitarian argument has some weight.

Quote:
there are places where charters have been an abject failure
Thurgood Marshal in Wilkinsburg, for example. About as connected as it gets, since it was founded by a faction of the Wilkinsburg school board who secured its approval and then promptly moved their kids over and, in some cases, resigned from the WSD board in order to take seats on the Thurgood Marshal board. It was notoriously poorly run, verging on outright naked corruption. And it closed down in short order when WSD revoked its charter, proving (to some, anyway) that irresponsibly-managed charter schools can be and are held accountable.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,726,811 times
Quote:
And I'm guessing you believe that private schools are not accountable, just connected, correct?
no, and that has no relevance.

Quote:
proving (to some, anyway) that irresponsibly-managed charter schools can be and are held accountable.
although I suspect you may be a shill, I don't believe that charters can't be held accountable. that's not what I've said.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I don't really buy your assertion, I know people with kids in the charter system and while they may fit that description, most of the kids in the schools do not fit that description. one guy openly said he was astounded to see the types of kids in the school doing so well.

no, it is true I'm afraid, the regular PS's are also not particularly accountable. for point 2, that's what connections are for. there are plenty of connected charters that get away with more than they should, including sub par performance which drags down overall charter performance.
Brian's pessimistic point is spot on. Philadelphia is the largest district in the state (where widespread PSSA cheating has been uncovered at local schools to show AYP) and certainly, the more good charters there are, the more middle class people will take advantage that probably would have moved out since private school was not an option. there are places where charters have been an abject failure, chester comes to mind, but everything in chester seems to be an abject failure except the soccer team, which isn't getting along very well with its host city.
I have never sent my kids to a charter or choice (magnet) school, but I know many people who have. Some of these schools try to "counsel out" students who do not fit in with the profile of the student there. This is particularly true in charters that emphasize "high academics" (as if other schools do not). Some of these schools, in my area anyway, also have "voluntary" requirements for donations of money and volunteer time, and they put pressure on the parents to comply.

Quote:

Thurgood Marshal in Wilkinsburg, for example. About as connected as it gets, since it was founded by a faction of the Wilkinsburg school board who secured its approval and then promptly moved their kids over and, in some cases, resigned from the WSD board in order to take seats on the Thurgood Marshal board. It was notoriously poorly run, verging on outright naked corruption. And it closed down in short order when WSD revoked its charter, proving (to some, anyway) that irresponsibly-managed charter schools can be and are held accountable.
So how did they promptly move their kids over if they didn't rig the lottery?

BTW, here is a response to my post that you quoted (from another thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Of course wealthier parents will gain a disproportionate number of slots, even in lottery systems, because they tend to be both more knowledgeable regarding the system, and more committed to exploiting the system to the fullest. In contrast, many poor parents probably either don't know about magnets, don't understand why they might be important, or just plain don't care.

In addition, some school systems, like Pittsburgh, intentionally balance things. Historically, Pittsburgh intentionally set racial demographics of 50% black, 50% white+other. The purpose was stated to be in order to have a diverse community, but i think in practice it was because once schools begin drifting to much highter than 50% black they become seen as undesirable by white parents sadly, which sets off a chain reaction of white parents increasingly feeling "uncomfortable" until the school is 95% black. In 2003, the Supreme Court found that Pittsburgh couldn't keep the quota system, which has since been replaced with selection measures which seek to "balance" on the basis of family income.
This is the nature of the beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh