Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you only really need federal st, even if it's just restored for pedestrian access (though PAT might appreciate running buses through the center, assuming they're still around)
Federal is much tougher. Ohio could be done pretty easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
I lived off Federal Street in the mid 90's and it was one horrible area. I mean gun fire was all the time and it was VERY dangerous. That street is why I moved out of the area. It is much better as far as crime than back then. Seems the crime now has spread around. I wish the cops would sweep that area and put tons of people in jail. There needs to be more of a strong arm approach so the law abiding can live better.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Federal is much tougher. Ohio could be done pretty easily.
federal is more useful though, imo.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
federal is more useful though, imo.
For Federal, you'd need to demo a building, and maybe an underground garage too.

In the case of Ohio Street, all you have to do is rip out some sidewalks and landscaping.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Are people looking at that map? That is crime that has happened in less than one week!!! What is going on in that war zone! It is a shame all the projects are all over the place around the North Side. Is there anyway to move them further out?
We need more h_curtises living in the North Side to turn the tide against the thugs.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
We need more h_curtises living in the North Side to turn the tide against the thugs.
To combat that kind of thing, you really need police to get really aggressive. It has nothing to do with me, but really, people can't live like that. I am all for a huge police presence with riot gear. It is time for police to really take care of this. Enough is enough.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
For Federal, you'd need to demo a building, and maybe an underground garage too.

In the case of Ohio Street, all you have to do is rip out some sidewalks and landscaping.
You can already walk east west. Federal may be more difficult but that doesn't mean it isn't the right choice.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,159 times
Some big bucks being spent up on Clayton Ave on the top of Perry Hill. New home being built that has to be just shy of 8 or 900,000 and several other rehabs. With violence all over the place but not on the street, it's feeling like 'boy in the bubble'

Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,032 times
Stop the gun play: An epidemic of shootings plagues the North Side - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
To combat that kind of thing, you really need police to get really aggressive. It has nothing to do with me, but really, people can't live like that. I am all for a huge police presence with riot gear. It is time for police to really take care of this. Enough is enough.

i think total decriminilization of narcotics might put an end to urban gang violence. what else is their motive except drug money? i hate the idea, but in theory, it sounds like one of few options a growing number of American cities have.

aggressive police presence and tactics - i think that would backfire. people would use that as propaganda to distort the truth about their role. you would have lawsuits. claims of racial bullying. the one time one of those guys freaks and hurts someone.....sad to say, what we have now is an 'acceptable level of violence" (not my words), and we will tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh