Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,038,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well good for you, you are one of a million.
Actually, not really, she is probably a majority. No offense Pittnurse. :P You know what I mean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 03:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
My mum's doctor had her work on her lifestyle for almost two years before FINALLY succumbing to the fact that she would need cholesterol lowering medicine.
My dr. monitored my blood pressure for about a year or so before putting me on medication. That is the accepted "step" treatment.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 PM

491 posts, read 1,429,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Actually, not really, she is probably a majority. No offense Pittnurse. :P You know what I mean!
I'm sure you have been to every doctor east of the mississippi

Honestly, I wouldn't know about Pittsburgh because it has been extremely difficult to get a doctors appointment in this area so I decided just not to go.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
There's something crazy about this internet service. I swear the last several posts from oktaren and boylocke were not on my screen when I answered boylocke! Oh, well. No, our office follows pretty much the American Academy of Pediatrics standards of care. "Watchful Waiting" is a part of that. I think that is the case with the majority of pediatric offices. I sometimes do triage at my office, you would not believe the number of parents who want to dope up little babies with cold medicine. I beleive I posted a link earlier about the recent proposal to recommend NO cold meds for kids under two. That is our office's advice as well. I can't give out advice over the internet, but I can tell you, we just recommend comfort measures.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-30-2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
There's something crazy about this internet service. I swear the last several posts from oktaren and boylocke were not on my screen when I answered boylocke! Oh, well. No, our office follows pretty much the American Academy of Pediatrics standards of care. "Watchful Waiting" is a part of that. I think that is the case with the majority of pediatric offices. I sometimes do triage at my office, you would not believe the number of parents who want to dope up little babies with cold medicine. I beleive I posted a link earlier about the recent proposal to recommend NO cold meds for kids under two. That is our office's advice as well. I can't give out advice over the internet, but I can tell you, we just recommend comfort measures.
That happens with everyone, you have to manually hit reload.

Is it any wonder parents want to dope up their babies, the way that society has been 'taught' about medicinal treatment...

Old 09-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
That happens with everyone, you have to manually hit reload.

Is it any wonder parents want to dope up their babies, the way that society has been 'taught' about medicinal treatment...
Thanks for the computer advice. I don't think it is all society's fault. I think parents genuinely want to help their kids, and they don't know how.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the computer advice. I don't think it is all society's fault. I think parents genuinely want to help their kids, and they don't know how.
Not society's fault at all, most people will believe anything you tell them, or more appropriately, advertisers. Capitalism and the pursuit of money over the welfare of your species, how nice.

The people are looking for any help they can get, and they get blasted with drug advertisements on a daily basis. The majority of people really don't need to be on medicine on a daily basis. Many of these drugs have not had long term (25+ years) of testing.

Short term, yes. But we have little to no idea what happens when a person is ingesting many of these chemicals on a daily basis for a lifetime.

Check out sewer treatment plants and the amount of chemicals that are present from people peeing them out into the sewer systems. Its actually very dangerous for the environment.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 AM

457 posts, read 427,389 times
Quote:
I work in a dr's office, and I can tell you this is categorically untrue. The opposite is often true, actually. The patient (in the case of pediatrics, the parent) wants a med for a viral illness. There are very few anti-virals; none for common cold, viral sore throats, etc. Parents are often annoyed to go home empty handed. They want to walk out with a script.

The insurance/health care provider dichotomy can be debated through time and eternity, but most insurance requires trying OTC allergy meds (the original subject of this thread) before they will approve a prescription med. Then the pharmacy send the office a request for "prior authorization" approval. It has to be documeted that the pt tried, say, Claritin before they will approve Zyrtec. Just a little FYI.
I agree with you oin the first paragraph. My doctor is a "D.O." and doesn't believe in a pill for everything. It's like pulling teeth to get a prescription for anything, which is why I like him.

Your second paragraph really proves one of my observations: The INSURANCE companies control our healthcare, not our doctors. That is just plain wrong.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:34 AM

457 posts, read 427,389 times
Quote:

Also, is it truly the pharmaceutical lobbyist that are to blame? Or is it the Republicans that see it through, allow it, and have their backs?? Hm??

Just some thoughts :P You know I love you PApisces.
I couldn't agree more. However, the Democrats are equally to blame. They ALL take money from the Insuance, Pharm, and big oil, just to name a few. Honestly, as a person with a poli-sci BA, I cannot see a way, short of a some sort of revolution that we will ever get Big Business out of government. Most of Bush's EPA nominations were from the Oil industry, for example.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM

43 posts, read 133,118 times
Default "months later..."

Quote:
I'm very glad to hear that your daughter is okay!!
boylocke,
Thank you! I didn't respond sooner because I went to Philly with her to have a catheterization and biopsy done: ZERO rejection, all labs and tests are normal. Whoohoo!

And I'm not getting into the vaccine thing. But I hear the rest of your response and am glad you're 'agreeable'... Where's that little heart symbol when you need one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh