Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
...corporations are not people...
Not according to Mitt Romney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 PM

55 posts, read 93,769 times
1) Better transportation. A non-corrupt pension bloated and terribly inefficient Port Authority would be a good start.

2) A downtown that doesn't close at 5PM.

I think a merger with Allegheny County would be the best thing possible. If more idiots want to move to 50 miles away and commute to the city to avoid taxes then let them.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
IBut who RETIRES to Pittsburgh from somewhere else? No one.
Me. I'm planning to for many of the reasons you state. I currently spend close to $30k a year on rent here in CA. Buying a home and spending half that or less on property taxes seems good to me.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Interesting juliegt.

The city should start a marketing campaign targeted at well-off retiring seniors who left Pittsburgh or nearby cities during the rough times.

Title it: Coming home.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Me. I'm planning to for many of the reasons you state. I currently spend close to $30k a year on rent here in CA. Buying a home and spending half that or less on property taxes seems good to me.
I think every area of the country except the NYC area would look cheap to anyone coming from the Bay Area. Pittsburgh isn't cheap compared to most of the state of PA. Go up to Warren PA or Titusville if you want cheap. Pittsburgh has high taxes and they are going to get higher. Also the residents are going to get less and less for those tax dollars. Just too much money going to pensions from all angles. Nothing left for those still working.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
I think the lack of uniform local income taxes are the biggest detriment for upper middle class and above. Certainly it is one of the scarier things for me to commit long term by purchasing in the city. I think parity among income taxes, at least in allegheny county, would eliminate confusion and maybe even help reverse some of the flight from PPS.

Another thing I don't understand is the deed transfer tax. It seems like 4% is a lot and probably prevents more development and slows sales of existing homes.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM

60 posts, read 104,702 times
Quote:
If you do the arithmetic, the people who gain the most by living in the city are retirees. If they're not working, they aren't paying the wage tax, and pensions and interest income are exempt from taxation.

But who RETIRES to Pittsburgh from somewhere else? No one.
I did.
Maybe I don't count because I'm from here and was away for only 21 years - and I was retired for 7 years before moving here.

In line with the theme of this thread, if the PAT cuts are as drastic (or close to it) as threatened, I will very much regret moving here and I would encourage anyone who believes transit is important for a major city to stay away.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
rr61,

After a recent visit and active participation on C-D, I've rethought my retirement plans. I've decided to make more visits than to actually relocate.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Another thing I don't understand is the deed transfer tax. It seems like 4% is a lot and probably prevents more development and slows sales of existing homes.
There are a host of problems in the city that really deters fixing up homes and growth. Growth still happens a tiny bit, but the powerful people sure make it about impossible. Not a friendly place to try and fix homes up and sell them. It is a shame they don't think more progressively, but that isn't going to change. Taxes kill real growth around here.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Interesting juliegt.

The city should start a marketing campaign targeted at well-off retiring seniors who left Pittsburgh or nearby cities during the rough times.

Title it: Coming home.
Yeah, but I'm not well off. That's why I want to move there. The cost of housing here in San Francisco is killing me. And, I like city living. I could find many rural and suburban areas that are way cheaper than SF, but I want all that city life has to offer. After exploring many places, I'm close to choosing Pittsburgh. I'm coming to visit later this year to see if I like it as much as I did when I visited in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh