Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM

441 posts, read 765,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjyarish View Post
also, Tirade, there is a LOT to be said living on the East end VS having to go through a tunnel every morning. A co-worker of mine lives in Dormont and commutes to shadyside everyday and has to leave at 7am to get to work by 7:30. If she leaves at 7:10, she doesnt make it until 8:15 (we start at 8am).

That commute is a HUGE difference to me (and probably SCR) and the fact that I can take public transportation/bike to work if I dont want to/cant drive.
SCR listed several neighborhoods on the other side of the river, so I assumed that he was okay with a non-East End commute.

Also, public transportation is available in the neighborhoods I mentioned. It's arguably better on that side of the river if you happen to live within walking distance of a working T station or busway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Well, my problem, Tirade, is that I'm about to accept a significant promotion at my primary employer that will have me working in Oakland for a 7 AM - 4:30 PM shift. I have yet to decide if my dream of homeownership is strong enough to permit me to endure an unpleasant commute to and from a place like Brookline, Bellevue, McKees Rocks, or Elliott vs. paying a slight premium for the convenience of renting in the East End. From my apartment in Polish Hill my primary commute entails a three-minute drive to Centre Avenue in the Hill District followed by a 15-minute walk to my office. I could also potentially just walk the entire length if the weather wasn't so oppressively humid. What would a typical evening rush-hour commute from Oakland to Brookline, the West End, or the NW inner suburbs look like?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
I don't know that Brookline to Oakland would be so bad. From 51 you could take Bausman up through Mt. Oliver, then down 18th St to the Southside to go over either the Birmingham or Hot Metal Bridges. Before 7 am, I can't imagine traffic would be all that terrible.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, my problem, Tirade, is that I'm about to accept a significant promotion at my primary employer that will have me working in Oakland for a 7 AM - 4:30 PM shift. I have yet to decide if my dream of homeownership is strong enough to permit me to endure an unpleasant commute to and from a place like Brookline, Bellevue, McKees Rocks, or Elliott vs. paying a slight premium for the convenience of renting in the East End. From my apartment in Polish Hill my primary commute entails a three-minute drive to Centre Avenue in the Hill District followed by a 15-minute walk to my office. I could also potentially just walk the entire length if the weather wasn't so oppressively humid. What would a typical evening rush-hour commute from Oakland to Brookline, the West End, or the NW inner suburbs look like?
If you want location, this would be a good bet. Just went online. Despite being listed as South Oakland, it's in Four Mile Run - which would actually be a plus for me, as it means great access to the trails.

Not the nicest house, but if you got some more money, you could always replace the siding with something else. Has a nice porch anyway.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM

441 posts, read 765,814 times
Quote:
I can definitely respect wanting to live within walking distance of work. When you mentioned places like Allentown, Sheraden, and Beltzhoozer, I was under the impression that you were open to non-East End neighborhoods.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I can definitely respect wanting to live within walking distance of work. When you mentioned places like Allentown, Sheraden, and Beltzhoozer, I was under the impression that you were open to non-East End neighborhoods.
I'm quite honestly still wishy-washy. On the one hand I've dreamt of homeownership for years. Buying a cheap home and having it fully paid off by my mid-30s would be an amazing goal to have accomplished. On the other hand I didn't exactly move to Pittsburgh for "city living" to be chained to my automobile with a lengthy commute. If I was working Downtown then Brookline would have already been at the top of my radar since I wouldn't mind walking to Beechview and hopping the "T" to get to work. Getting from the South Hills to Oakland, though, sounds much less desirable. Ditto the West End although I know alleghenyangel commutes from Stowe Twp. to Lincoln-Lemington.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,974,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you want location, this would be a good bet. Just went online. Despite being listed as South Oakland, it's in Four Mile Run - which would actually be a plus for me, as it means great access to the trails.

Not the nicest house, but if you got some more money, you could always replace the siding with something else. Has a nice porch anyway.
eschaton,

That's a great find. I doubt if it will last long. A person could buy it as a rental and get a nice positive cash flow.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,030,554 times
Quote:
I'm quite honestly still wishy-washy. On the one hand I've dreamt of homeownership for years. Buying a cheap home and having it fully paid off by my mid-30s would be an amazing goal to have accomplished. On the other hand I didn't exactly move to Pittsburgh for "city living" to be chained to my automobile with a lengthy commute. If I was working Downtown then Brookline would have already been at the top of my radar since I wouldn't mind walking to Beechview and hopping the "T" to get to work. Getting from the South Hills to Oakland, though, sounds much less desirable. Ditto the West End although I know alleghenyangel commutes from Stowe Twp. to Lincoln-Lemington.
Getting from the West End to Oakland is an absolute breeze, because there is usually very little traffic between Downtown and the West End, and very little from Downtown to Oakland. I have made it from Stowe to Oakland in 10 minutes. It takes me about 25 minutes to get to Lincoln-Lemington, though, because of East End traffic. I remember even when I lived in Shadyside, it would take me 20 minutes to get to Lincoln-Lemington because of traffic on that side of the city. So my commute now is longer in miles, but surprisingly not significantly longer in time.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,030,554 times
Quote:
If I were to buy in Knoxville would I be subjected to public urination/intoxication, drug dealing, loud music, and other "quality-of-life" issues, all of which I could tolerate, or would I legitimately have to worry about being caught in gang crossfire or being mugged?
All of the above, and add arson to the list. My best friend lived in Knoxville and his apartment building almost burnt down because the two buildings attached to it (on both sides) were randomly and purposely set on fire, for who knows what reason. He also had a stabbing right in front of his building, and when I visited, police cars were always parked nearby, for whatever reason. Lots of drug activity going on there, bullets flying, etc.

Quote:
those looking to buy their first home in a walkable, urban, yet also "not sketchy" area the time has pretty much come and gone as Pittsburgh's appeal has grown to a broader range of homebuyers.
My neighborhood (West Park neighborhood in Stowe Township) is extremely walkable and has a great business district. From my house, I can walk two blocks to Theresa's Bakery, Mancini's Bread, Lynn's Cafe, Marge's Cafe, Prima Donna (Italian Restaurant), two party stores, a hardware store, etc. If I want to go for a longer walk, I can reach the Post Office, Family Dollar, one of two grocery stores (Aldi, Bottom Dollar), Rite Aid, Eat n Park, the flower shop, and Big Lots.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Why don't I just buy YOUR house?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh