Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Steelcityrising,

I just saw a nice home in Hazelwood on realtor.com. It is a small cottage/craftsman style brick home listed for 89,000. I'm sure you could pick it up for 70,000 or less. It's in the 15207 zip code. Happy Hunting.....
Thanks, but it's already "contingent". The East End is just untouchable anymore, and our moronic developers aren't stepping up to the plate to bring more inventory to the table rapidly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks, but it's already "contingent". The East End is just untouchable anymore, and our moronic developers aren't stepping up to the plate to bring more inventory to the table rapidly enough.
Are you working with a realtor so that you can be on the MLS distributions and find out about listings the same day as everybody else? It won't help you in the trendy east end neighborhoods because you don't have the budget to outbid anybody, but in a place like Hazelwood or Garfield you may able to snatch something up before it is on many people's radars.

Two of the homes I made offers on this year didn't even stick around long enough to be listed on aggregator sites like Trulia. However since I was on the MLS distribution list I was at least able to find out about the homes in time to make an offer on them.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Geesh, sorry !!!!

I just never think of property in Hazelwood moving that fast.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I for one blame our moronic buyers/renters for wanting to buy/rent new units in the East End faster than developers can bring them to market.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I for one blame our moronic buyers/renters for wanting to buy/rent new units in the East End faster than developers can bring them to market.
Brian,

Is there land available in the east end to develop tracks of single family homes?

I realize we've already discussed the uptown area, but what areas are available for developing entry level homes?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Is there land available in the east end to develop tracks of single family homes?
As an aside, I was being sarcastic (SCR likes to find whole groups of people to blame and hate for any of his personal troubles, but the truth is that development in Pittsburgh got derailed by the financial crisis, and it makes no sense to call developers "moronic" for cancelling or delaying projects that couldn't get financing).

But to answer your question: here and there, particularly in transitional areas like the Hill, and brownfields like Summerset at Frick Park (which still has more phases to come) or the Hazelwood LTV (to make this discussion actually somewhat topical in this thread). There is also ongoing infill of rowhouses and such in places like Lawrenceville.

However, the fact is that even with a better financing climate, I think it is a good bet for the indefinite future that most of the new market-rate units in the East End are either going to be in multi-unit buildings, or will be way outside of SCR's budget, or both--and that includes the Hazelwood LTV for that matter. As we have discussed before, that is because when you combine construction costs with the growing potential demand among higher-income households for East End locations, that is where the best margins can be found.

Which in turn is why SCR either has to look elsewhere, or maybe build his own place. Because if he keeps waiting for a developer to build a bunch of low-budget places on spec in the East End, he is probably going to be waiting a very, very long time.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:

Yep, the woes of buyers and renters in the East End are completely self-inflicted.

We can't blame developers for the lack of infill opportunities in the East End, or for the reluctance of lender to finance new construction in Pittsburgh. It's time for people to start expanding their search.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yep, the woes of buyers and renters in the East End are completely self-inflicted.

We can't blame developers for the lack of infill opportunities in the East End, or for the reluctance of lender to finance new construction in Pittsburgh. It's time for people to start expanding their search.
Self-inflicted is an oddly accusatory way of looking at it. It's simply supply and demand playing out as should be expected. While there are certainly people that want East End neighborhoods for the status, others (such as myself and SCR*) want it for their lifestyle choices. There really isn't anywhere outside of the East End (or equally expensive south side) where someone can walk to Oakland or have a 10 minute bus ride while still living in a walkable area. Downtown employees are a bit more lucky, with several walkable towns/neighborhoods having easy transit access to downtown. If I want to have a minimally car dependent lifestyle I either have to stop working in Oakland, deal with metely semi-reliable public transit involving transfers, or find a place in the East End.

*Note, I usually wouldn't speak for someone else, but you've made your reasons for wanting an East End home abundantly clear on this forum.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
As an aside, I was being sarcastic (SCR likes to find whole groups of people to blame and hate for any of his personal troubles, but the truth is that development in Pittsburgh got derailed by the financial crisis, and it makes no sense to call developers "moronic" for cancelling or delaying projects that couldn't get financing).

But to answer your question: here and there, particularly in transitional areas like the Hill, and brownfields like Summerset at Frick Park (which still has more phases to come) or the Hazelwood LTV (to make this discussion actually somewhat topical in this thread). There is also ongoing infill of rowhouses and such in places like Lawrenceville.

However, the fact is that even with a better financing climate, I think it is a good bet for the indefinite future that most of the new market-rate units in the East End are either going to be in multi-unit buildings, or will be way outside of SCR's budget, or both--and that includes the Hazelwood LTV for that matter. As we have discussed before, that is because when you combine construction costs with the growing potential demand among higher-income households for East End locations, that is where the best margins can be found.

Which in turn is why SCR either has to look elsewhere, or maybe build his own place. Because if he keeps waiting for a developer to build a bunch of low-budget places on spec in the East End, he is probably going to be waiting a very, very long time.
Those are exactly my sentiments. Entry level buyers will need to be quick on the trigger to buy an existing structure in their preferred area if they are ever going to get a shot at owning a home.

Developers will need to build as many units as possible on their property to realize a profit. In Pittsburgh that means going up and not out.

Last edited by eccotecc; 07-16-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Those are exactly my sentiments. Entry level buyers will need to be quick on the trigger to buy an existing structure if they are ever going to get a shot at owning a home.

Developers will need to build as many units as possible on their property to realize a profit. In Pittsburgh that means going up and not out.
I don't know if the rush is that drastic. Hazelwood, Lincon-Lemington, Larimer, Homewood, the Hill, and Wilkinsburg are all well located and it will likely be a long time until they are all gentrified (if ever). I'd modify your statement to "to buy an existing structure in an already decent area." I still maintain that Upper Lawrenceville is the only remaining example of a "safe bet neighborhood" in the east end that is still affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh