Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,254 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, both 30 y/o with no kids (yet), have recently relocated back to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia for my job. I am from Pittsburgh originally but have been gone for 8 years, and he is from Australia and does not have many friends here yet. I spent a few years as a child living in Mt. Lebo and we love the area - the schools (we plan to start having kids soon), the community feel, character, amenities, and proximity to downtown. I am very familiar with the town and we know the taxes are high, small yards, older homes, etc and are OK with that. We're looking for feedback from those who live there on a couple things:

1. Are there alot of other young 30-something's in Mt Lebo? We want to make friends and establish a life there. Especially for my husband who moved all the way to Pitt for me and will be working from a home office.
2. What are some of the best neighborhoods for young familes? We really like the vibe of the Markham area and Mission Hills. Is this mostly an older/established crowd or many transplants like us? We want to be in a walkable location to parks, schools, and uptown.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM

675 posts, read 2,090,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Pitt2012 View Post
My husband and I, both 30 y/o with no kids (yet), have recently relocated back to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia for my job. I am from Pittsburgh originally but have been gone for 8 years, and he is from Australia and does not have many friends here yet. I spent a few years as a child living in Mt. Lebo and we love the area - the schools (we plan to start having kids soon), the community feel, character, amenities, and proximity to downtown. I am very familiar with the town and we know the taxes are high, small yards, older homes, etc and are OK with that. We're looking for feedback from those who live there on a couple things:

1. Are there alot of other young 30-something's in Mt Lebo? We want to make friends and establish a life there. Especially for my husband who moved all the way to Pitt for me and will be working from a home office.
2. What are some of the best neighborhoods for young familes? We really like the vibe of the Markham area and Mission Hills. Is this mostly an older/established crowd or many transplants like us? We want to be in a walkable location to parks, schools, and uptown.

Thanks!
1. We just moved the Mt. Lebanon, and are in our late twenties with kids. In our experience, it seems that just about everyone we meet are young 30-somethings.

2. The whole town seems to be great for young families. I'd pick an area that's convenient to what you want (convenient to downtown, shops, school, etc.) and go from there. Remember that there are no school buses in Mt. Lebanon, so being walking distance from whatever schools your kids will be in is a plus.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,489,468 times
Since you are talking Mt. Lebanon, I will take this opportunity to promote my favorite sport, platform tennis, aka paddle. Mt. Lebanon has four courts and a thriving paddle tennis community. It is a winter sport and there are leagues just about every night of the week. So, if you have played any tennis and are looking for an activity in the winter you should check it out.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,026 times
Since your husband is from Australia, I'll note that Orbis Caffe has become somewhat of a central gathering place for Brits and ex-pats from former colonies. I suggest going to one of their communal dinners last Friday of the month. You'll meet people.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:06 PM

165 posts, read 261,433 times
I'm a childless, 30-year-old and I love living in Mt. Lebanon. It's perfect for me.

And ditto what gallacus said...you really can't pick a bad area. Personally, I love being walking distance to the shops on Washington and the T, but I also love the area around the Beverly Road shops. Mission Hills is also great.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,500,808 times
I agree, most everybody I meet is in their 30s. Lots to do, lots to see... There isn;t really one part more beautiful than another. You have to see it for yoursleves. I suggest to visit it on a sat morning. Take a car tour than walk the main road and have a coffee at the uptown cafe or maybe lunch at Pizzaiolo. It is really awesome.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
have a coffee at the uptown cafe
That would be a great idea if they actually bought decent coffee and learned how to make it

Baked goods are fine though.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 28,078 times
I think you will greatly enjoy the area, no matter where your house ends up being. You will also enjoy the proximity to downtown area attractions as well. Go for it. Great for families, can't go wrong with the schools! Welcome :-)

Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,810,956 times
Great area and it is nice kids walk to school like the old days. Hard to fault the area in any way, except for taxes, but that is a problem with our whole region and it will keep getting worse as the years past, so when you are looking for a home, don't go to your maximum price range. It is best to be quite a bit lower to afford the tax burden. It is always a shock for everyone moving here from other parts of the country. Most are in total shock.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,500,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
That would be a great idea if they actually bought decent coffee and learned how to make it

Baked goods are fine though.
I drink Turkish coffee. The rest of them taste the same to me
But hey there are Starbucks In Mt Lebo as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh