Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrfamily View Post
8. If given the opportunity to move away would you or do you love Pittsburgh?
I always wanted to move, not for any reason in particular, just because I'm a wanderlust. Now that we're finally in a position to move ANYWHERE, I'm having second thoughts. In my researching other areas of the country, I really haven't found anything that compares or is better than the Pittsburgh metro. For example, I was seriously considering Denver but the housing sucks compared to what we have here. I love Pittsburgh's greenery; whereas, Denver looks like a dessert in the mountains by comparison. That's just one example of many areas we considered. But the biggest thing that scares me is leaving the people of Pittsburgh, not friends and family but leaving the general population because people are so friendly, frugal, and down to earth here. I don't want to move to where people are keeping up with the Jones, don't have time to wave to neighbors, or worse yet where HOAs rule the world. I like living here because people are tollerant and respect personal freedoms. I can't be bothered with pretense. I fear I won't find all of this elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I wish someone told me that most natives are not so accepting of change, and wish that someone had told me that many natives drive as if it's their first time on the road.
Woa, this is off topic but I can't resist... I just returned from a vacation in the south of turkey... you have no idea how these people drive: 4 lines of cars in a two lane street, signaling and lanes are optional.

We were in the right lane signaling to make a right and when I look out the right window one other lane was formed on the shoulder of the street. Of course all these people want to cut in front of you. They don;t have patience.

I thought that if we don;t die in a car accident we die of a heart attack. We were about to kill somebody who literally jumped in front of our car to cross the street in order to catch a bus on another lane (pedestrians are as bad as drivers). He stumbled and fell flat on the pavement in front of our tires and we stopped by him. A truck who was driving way too close to us had to swerve on the right lane to avoid hitting us and then he stopped, stuck his head out and cursed us. I promised myself to NEVER EVER complain about any drivers in America.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I'm sorry, but I have been told by reliable sources that drivers in Pittsburgh are the worst in the history of the world, and therefore that story cannot be true. And what sort of place name is "Turkey" anyway? Sounds made up if you ask me.

(Note: this post may contain sarcasm.)

Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Pittsburgh's drivers are pretty bad, but try driving in Paris or Budapest. I've done both and.... never again.

We're nowhere close to worst in the world.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,579 times
I have lived in the area for 5 years after having lived all over the US. Dh has lived in 3 locations outside of US as well. Dh was from PGH but had been away 26 years. So my opinion is that of a transplant with lots of comparative hx.

1. How is the transit system, primarily the rail? Are there apts near those rail locations? I don't utilize mass transit but have seen the impacts each year of the cuts. It certainly is lacking but I have seen worse.

2. How is the food? I have loved the variance here. I will probably be spending th next 40 years exploring different places.

3. What is your favorite things about Pittsburgh? The topography, gritty character and lack of pretentiousness.

4. What is one thing you wish someone told you about Pittsburgh before moving there? That everything would work out and I would love living here. I left a place I loved ( Seattle ) when we moved here and never thought I would love it as much as I did there.

5. Are the winters any harsher than other places? I am from the south and was worried but adjusted fine. I enjoy the winters but do wish it was a month shorter. I get antsy when old friends are talking Spring in their towns when we are still dealing with regular frosts.

6. I see a 7.2% unemployment rate, does that reflect the job climate that you see?
Not really. Both dh and I have excelled career and financially since moving here...most of our family here has too.

7. What should we prepare ourselves for? A good place to be. Fanaticism with sports.

8. If given the opportunity to move away would you or do you love Pittsburgh? Many factors would come into play but I would not move just to get away...there would have to b something extremely enticing. I have experienced many areas and I think overall Pittsburgh is in the top relative to being well rounded. I do wish there was more lakes to live on. I miss being on the water....not ad many options for that here as compared to other places I have lived.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I have lived in the area for 5 years after having lived all over the US. Dh has lived in 3 locations outside of US as well. Dh was from PGH but had been away 26 years. So my opinion is that of a transplant with lots of comparative hx.

1. How is the transit system, primarily the rail? Are there apts near those rail locations? I don't utilize mass transit but have seen the impacts each year of the cuts. It certainly is lacking but I have seen worse.

2. How is the food? I have loved the variance here. I will probably be spending th next 40 years exploring different places.

3. What is your favorite things about Pittsburgh? The topography, gritty character and lack of pretentiousness.

4. What is one thing you wish someone told you about Pittsburgh before moving there? That everything would work out and I would love living here. I left a place I loved ( Seattle ) when we moved here and never thought I would love it as much as I did there.

5. Are the winters any harsher than other places? I am from the south and was worried but adjusted fine. I enjoy the winters but do wish it was a month shorter. I get antsy when old friends are talking Spring in their towns when we are still dealing with regular frosts.

6. I see a 7.2% unemployment rate, does that reflect the job climate that you see?
Not really. Both dh and I have excelled career and financially since moving here...most of our family here has too.

7. What should we prepare ourselves for? A good place to be. Fanaticism with sports.

8. If given the opportunity to move away would you or do you love Pittsburgh? Many factors would come into play but I would not move just to get away...there would have to b something extremely enticing. I have experienced many areas and I think overall Pittsburgh is in the top relative to being well rounded. I do wish there was more lakes to live on. I miss being on the water....not ad many options for that here as compared to other places I have lived.
Yes, but Lake Erie is not that far away, as well as some smaller lakes.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I always wanted to move, not for any reason in particular, just because I'm a wanderlust. Now that we're finally in a position to move ANYWHERE, I'm having second thoughts. In my researching other areas of the country, I really haven't found anything that compares or is better than the Pittsburgh metro. For example, I was seriously considering Denver but the housing sucks compared to what we have here. I love Pittsburgh's greenery; whereas, Denver looks like a dessert in the mountains by comparison. That's just one example of many areas we considered. But the biggest thing that scares me is leaving the people of Pittsburgh, not friends and family but leaving the general population because people are so friendly, frugal, and down to earth here. I don't want to move to where people are keeping up with the Jones, don't have time to wave to neighbors, or worse yet where HOAs rule the world. I like living here because people are tollerant and respect personal freedoms. I can't be bothered with pretense. I fear I won't find all of this elsewhere.
I can vouch that the people here in the San Fernando Valley area of LA are tolerant and respect your freedoms, but are overall not as friendly as Pittsburgh. Overall there is more pretense too, but you can find some very down to earth people here. L.A. is certainly not as easy to navigate as Pittsburgh though. I've lived here for 34 years and have never adjusted to the fast pace of the freeways. Luckily I don't have to use them in my daily life that much. I don't miss the snow and ice, but realistically there are places with much worse weather than Pittsburgh. I have always missed the fall and all the greenery there. My husband left Pittsburgh as a young boy, enjoys visiting there, but has never wanted to move back. One must bloom where they are planted! I never did meet anyone that was as good to me back there.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Yes, but Lake Erie is not that far away, as well as some smaller lakes.
That would be a sucky commute! I was referring to a full time residence. I have been lucky enough to either live on or witha few hundred yards of waterfront for most of my life and I miss that. I keep looking for that perfect place within 30-45 minutes of north of the city. But despite that I love the area.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
That would be a sucky commute! I was referring to a full time residence. I have been lucky enough to either live on or witha few hundred yards of waterfront for most of my life and I miss that. I keep looking for that perfect place within 30-45 minutes of north of the city. But despite that I love the area.
I can understand how you feel if you always lived near the water. Never was that lucky to do so myself!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM

101 posts, read 119,587 times
I want to being by thanking everyone from the bottom of my heart. My wife and I are truly excited about the possibility of moving from the South (Arkansas) to Pittsburgh. We are a young family and want a place where we can live and grow for many years to come and from what everybody has said we truly have found the right place. Thank you again and I welcome any information you can provide. I wish the best to everyone who posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh