Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times

Advertisements

burglaries have been on the upswing. i dont ever remember it being it this bad - moreso in western westmoreland county.

there was a robbery at a squirrel hill business on a weekday morning last week - a violent occurrence. it just isnt front page news, but look at the small stories - they are there.

even that clown konias - did he ever expect to get away with that?

if i had a brick and mortar business, you are correct in assuming i would have cameras everywhere, not be careless with unlocked doors, and have a firearm for protection. my female employees would be provided mace, and maybe be required to do a one week self-defense class. ya think im crazy? 20 years ago at a store in hazelwood, i had a friend who felt a gun pressed against his skull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
When it gets hot the ghetto gets angry

Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
When it gets hot the ghetto gets angry
Pretty much what I was going to say, and it's been a VERY hot summer so far!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,998,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
burglaries have been on the upswing. i dont ever remember it being it this bad - moreso in western westmoreland county.

there was a robbery at a squirrel hill business on a weekday morning last week - a violent occurrence. it just isnt front page news, but look at the small stories - they are there.
Are there any actual stats on this? Stuff like this reeks of confirmation bias to me. Sorry. And I'm not saying it's not up between February and now, crime always increases in the summer, I'm talking year vs year.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's the local TV news, it's pretty much a fact of life. If it bleeds it leads.
That's why I don't watch the local news. It's only shootings, fires, abused pets, sports and weather. See one newscast, you've seen them all.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moewill89 View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but seems like every time i turn on the news someone else is getting shot. Do anyone else feel that Pittsburgh crime is getting a little out of hand lately?
I've read many different American newspapers, and I notice that Pittsburgh generally focuses very strongly on crime and sports, and very little to anything else.

I might even say it's the worst I've ever seen with such myopic vision into only those two spheres.

I don't know who the 'bigwigs' are Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, but they really need some fresh blood from other cities, who can start encouraging/publishing completely different stories altogether. Pittsburgh's a great little city, but as a non-Pittsburgher relying only on the News of Pittsburgh, I certainly would have no idea from reading it's newspapers.

Take this is contrast to West Coast cities out in Portland, Vegas, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, etc. They're always focusing on something interesting and new, and violent crime seem to go much moreso on the back pages somewhere.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 AM

441 posts, read 761,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Yes that's it. I'm seeing solid blue collar low crime neighborhoods really start to dwindle. Drugs usage is also on upswing, in particular heroin. It's at the highest ever in Allegheny county. It's starting to become a real problem, but people are mostly silent about it. Just go to Carson St, Murray Ave, or a bunch of other areas and see all the addicts. Or your neighborhood detox place (they are usually unmarked).
Speaking of drugs, you need to be on some to believe that Murray Avenue is Pittsburgh's skid row.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:20 AM

748 posts, read 816,096 times
Sure, lots of bad news-flow from the typical suspects. Here are some of the more salacious stories.
Fayette County:
7 year old shot by 16 year old:
Teen Accused Of Shooting 7-Year-Old Surrenders « CBS Pittsburgh
Sheraden:
22 year old kidnapped and attempted murder by assailants he did not know:
Arrest warrant issued in Sheraden kidnapping - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
While our local media is pretty much garbage, you can't put all the blame on them for reporting crime while you yourself pretend it "ain't that bad". Horrific stuff goes on in this area during the summer, media or not.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM

81 posts, read 162,255 times
Another shooting in McKees Rocks...seems to be the place for shootings this year. On a side note...its not just carson street you see the addicts; just drive down rt 51 in the early morning and see the walkway lined with them walking to or from the detox center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh