Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,661,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If those two reasons aren't enough to hate Philly with a passion... I bring to the table Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom".
Awww, but that's not Philly's fault. They are as much a victim in that as the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
We spent our wedding night in Cleveland... set the tone for the whole marriage. And yes -- that's a joke, it's been 29 years this year.

And as for hating Philadelphia... I can remember clearly when I was young, tons of bad parking tickets were issued by Philly in an attempt to extort money. But the morons who thought it up just picked out random plates and a lot of them were issued to Pittsburghers who could prove they weren't in Philly at the time so it blew up in their faces.

Add that to the MOVE bombing incident -- where the mayor basically blew up a city block to stop radical movement -- yep -- had the police BOMB a house and burned down an entire block displacing 60 families and killing 11 or 12 people.

If those two reasons aren't enough to hate Philly with a passion... I bring to the table Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom".
It's not like Philly has changed since the early 80s.

If I thought along your lines, I, too, would think PGH was a craphole.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,120,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's not like Philly has changed since the early 80s.

If I thought along your lines, I, too, would think PGH was a craphole.
No -- I don't think Philly is a craphole... I think it's unethical and moneygrubbing. And that stuff gets entrenched and it's hard to get it out....

Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
No -- I don't think Philly is a craphole... I think it's unethical and moneygrubbing. And that stuff gets entrenched and it's hard to get it out....
I assume you're referring to Philly's Democratic machine politics? The exact same kind that control Pittsburgh? I also assume you're making note of the provincial attitude of some Philadelphia residents, the very same type of closed-minded, hyper-parochial mindset that is in fact even more prevalent in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
DC sprawl is actually beginning to reach Hagerstown, which is insane. I can't imagine that it could reach Cumberland, which has always been seen more as the outer reaches of the Pittsburgh region, as opposed to DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I can imagine that happening if a good high-speed rail line every comes to the area. I was in Winchester, VA a couple of months ago. That is basically a DC suburb now, with daily shuttles running to the Dulles area. Tons of new homes and condos being built.
Frederick, Hagerstown, and Winchester have indeed all been sucked into DC's exurban sprawl due to poor long-range urban planning. Eastern WV, including places like Charles Town and Martinsburg, have also succumbed. There's nothing to stop the sprawl from eventually going even further into areas that were traditionally considered to be within the outer edges of Pittsburgh's sphere of influence.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,885,061 times
Mine are in this order and all have to do with sports in some way haha.

-West Virginia (Pitt is my alma matter)
-Boston (I hate every professional sports team there, most notably the cheating patriots)
-Baltimore (Ravens)
-Cleveland (Browns)
-Philadelphia (Flyers and Phillies)

Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,215,158 times
Quote:
And as for hating Philadelphia... I can remember clearly when I was young, tons of bad parking tickets were issued by Philly in an attempt to extort money. But the morons who thought it up just picked out random plates and a lot of them were issued to Pittsburghers who could prove they weren't in Philly at the time so it blew up in their faces.
Ha, ha, well - it seems to still happen (if not so randomly): Rental car customer is driven mad by a ticket - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-22-2012, 12:43 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Frederick, Hagerstown, and Winchester have indeed all been sucked into DC's exurban sprawl due to poor long-range urban planning. Eastern WV, including places like Charles Town and Martinsburg, have also succumbed. There's nothing to stop the sprawl from eventually going even further into areas that were traditionally considered to be within the outer edges of Pittsburgh's sphere of influence.
LOL you make it sound like it's solid housing development all the way out to Winchester or Hagerstown. It's more like those towns don't have much employment these days, so the people who live there are willing to drive in to the Dullest Tech Corridor or even DC for those higher paying jobs. Frederick could conceivably be considered part of the sprawl although there's a good amount of rural land between it and the DC metro. Hagerstown and Winchester both have too much rural land between them and the DC metro area to be considered part of the sprawl, which extends west about as far as Leesburg. After that you have 35 miles of farms, vineyards, 2-3 small towns and rural areas before you get to Winchester. The shuttle to DC makes it easy for people who live there to work in the DC area, however.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-22-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh