Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times

Advertisements

Was very sad to see this popular store was robbed today around 4:25pm. I was also not aware that this is the second time it happened.

I saw the PSP helicopter flying over around that time and a police van scurrying down East End shortly after. The owner states that she recognized the robber today as someone who came in asking for a job near closing time on Friday. The owner said no, the guy left and came back with someone else and tried to get in soon after, but the doors were locked.

This also concerns me, because our neighbor owns Alma around the corner.

The owner was interviewed by the Forrest Hills -Regent Square Patch and apparently a comment was made regarding "everything that has been going on". Hoping that was in reference to the crime county wide and not in that specific area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Again? I remember it happened before, I think it was a couple years ago by now. I remember because we stopped in there not long after, while we were doing some other things in the city. It was in the summer then too, as I recall, or at least spring (thinking of the summer crime thread). Not sure why it's a repeat target, probably seems easy because usually only one person in there? I know when we visited she was in the back and didn't come out for a couple minutes even while we were looking around. "Asking for a job" might have been just casing the joint. Ugh.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,624,193 times
ugh, this is horrible, i can't believe this happened again. the employees/owners in that store are so nice and it's a great store, i hope they aren't too discouraged by this but i can understand if they are.

i live nearby and i'm not sure what she might mean by "everything that has been going on". this has actually seemed like a relatively low crime summer compared to the last few years, at least based on what i've heard about. i don't have stats to back that up though.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Is this a pet store? News like this makes me wish a german shepherd could come bounding out and bite the robbers.

Sad but true, asking for a job is a classic way to case a store since you often get taken into the back area for the interview. Yet another reason so many stores want you to submit an application online instead of interviewing people who walk in the door. Which sadly just makes the process of getting that first job all the harder.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 AM

it is a pet store and there's often a GIANT german shepherd in there but he is being trained to be a service dog and i don't think he'd bite anyone.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,048,581 times
It's pretty concerning just how many armed robberies have taken place in Regent Square the last couple of years. Break-ins to people's cars and homes, have always been a semi-regular thing, but robbing people at gunpoint seems to be a more recent trend.

Last edited by stburr91; 07-18-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It's pretty concerning just how many armed robberies have taken place in Regent Square the last couple of years. Break-ins to people's cars and homes, have always been a semi-regular thing, but robbing people at gunpoint seems to be a more recent trend.

It's funny that when I show apartments to people in Regent Square, they never ask if the area is safe, but when I show a place in Swissvale, near Swisshelm Park, they always ask. People aren't getting robbed at gunpoint over here, yet there's doubt about this area. I guess it shows just how much an area's branding effects people's perception.
Last time I looked (the city part of) Regent Square had a far higher "Part 1" crime rate than the city average. As in, not too much lower than Beltzhoover, and significantly higher than areas considered transitional to semi-sketchy, (Central Lawrenceville, Central Northside, Upper Hill, Hazelwood, Uptown, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, etc).

Of course, this was based on PGH SNAP files - and given the city part of Regent Square has a small population, there could have just been a few crimes that year which caused the rate to blip upward.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Interestingly, I can't even find a news story on it. Is a crime like that common enough in that area not to make the news? I mean helicopters overhead and robber with a gun, isn't enough? I know there were the normal everyday shootings in the news today, but a robbery at gunpoint isn't that small of a deal. Glad no one was hurt. Sad to hear about things like that happening. I have always been surprised Garden Dreams hasn't been robbed. Maybe it has and it didn't make the news?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Interestingly, I can't even find a news story on it. Is a crime like that common enough in that area not to make the news? I mean helicopters overhead and robber with a gun, isn't enough? I know there were the normal everyday shootings in the news today, but a robbery at gunpoint isn't that small of a deal. Glad no one was hurt. Sad to hear about things like that happening. I have always been surprised Garden Dreams hasn't been robbed. Maybe it has and it didn't make the news?

Animal Nature Robbed at Gun Point Tuesday Afternoon - Forest Hills-Regent Square, PA Patch

Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 AM

i don't believe garden dreams has ever been robbed. they have experienced some vandalism (a stained glass insert in their fence was smashed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh