Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

High end? That's one ugly house. I could go on and on about everything wrong with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Yes, the street view is what concerns me. Some developments put the garage entrances on the side so that they're not that prominent. In Pittsburgh, because of the topography, I've seen them on the side and down one level or even in the back of the house.

WTAE had a piece on the design of Mt. Lebanon last night, and some neighborhood designs stipulated that garages were not to be seen from the street.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
There's a few million houses in Florida that look exactly like that one.
The worst part is how many people consider that nice or the 'dream home '. I know this may not be a prevailing opinion here, but I think if you cut off the part with the garage the home wouldn't look bad.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Yes, the street view is what concerns me. Some developments put the garage entrances on the side so that they're not that prominent. In Pittsburgh, because of the topography, I've seen them on the side and down one level or even in the back of the house. WTAE had a piece on the design of Mt. Lebanon last night, and some neighborhood designs stipulated that garages were not to be seen from the street.
I've always appreciated the garages mostly being on alleys in Regent Square, which also means you don't have a lot of driveways (although ironically, our house has a driveway because the garage has doors on both sides).

Of course that means the garages are mostly detached, although some people have built connections from the house to the garage (sacrificing yard space--but again, they don't lose yard to driveways).

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
So the big objection is that this home has a front facing garage? Half the homes in the U. S., have front facing garages, and it's certainly not a new thing. In fact, I saw a beautiful old brick house in Mt Lebanon of about 1930's vintage with a front facing garage. Some people don't care that the garage faces the front as long as it doesn't look like a big mess. Get over it.

I don't think that house is ugly at all compared to a lot of homes I see- I'd be more worried about consturction quality, with Maronda's reputation and the price that seems too good to be true on something that huge.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
I'd be hypocritical if I was criticizing the size of the three car garage (since I have a nine car one) but having it face the street and dominate the façade like that ruins the streetscape and really emphasizes the car-centric nature of the far suburbs.

It's weird that suburban tract housing design seems to have stagnated about twenty years ago, I was working in very similar designs when I painted houses back in '91 or so. Aren't there any new designs?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I agree the aesthetics is a matter of taste.

But speaking just for myself, the garage looks like a massive goiter on the house.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
nothin better than squeaky vinyl rail banisters on porches

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I read somewhere that an area banned garages being in the front of a house. Might have been Seattle. Maronda is crap, pure and simple.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
The direction the garage door faces doesn't matter much to me, but that house would look better with just a two-car garage, and even better still with a detached garage.

When I lived in Penn Hills, I lived in a house with the garage door in the back, and it was actually kind of a pain in the ass. If you drove forward down the driveway, you had to either back into the garage or park opposite the garage door. Otherwise, if you wanted to pull forward into the garage, you had to back the car down the driveway to do so. And since the edge of the house was right next to the driveway, scraped paint was a distinct possibility as well. Front-facing garages are much more functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh