U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 AM

16 posts, read 13,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The only difference in "diversity" you will see in Sr vs Gc is at the student level.

I would imagine the faculty as well. Look at the census figures - there is a difference. Having grown up in Mercer County, unless someone is seeking small town/rural life, I see no point in trying to convince people used to the city to move there. Slippery Rock might be smaller, but when you have a rather large university attached, it is going to make a difference in that area. Plus they would be closer to Pittsburgh, Cranberry, Butler, a few miles further south of lake effect snow. If I needed to live that close to Grove City, I would live in Slippery Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
gg

11,609 posts, read 7,858,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
True.. this will be the most rural setting they have ever lived so i have told them to be prepared for anything.. !!!
"be prepared for anything (with a pile of exclamation points)? What would there to be prepared for? Low crime? Many college educated people? Nice sidewalks that are maintained? Clean air? The vibe of that place isn't like some Appalachian backwoods dirt road, with tons of old rusty lifted pickups and rebel flags flying. Be prepared for a pleasant town where people would say hello while walking by and people acting civil. What a strange thread.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM

354 posts, read 496,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvPittsburgh View Post
I would imagine the faculty as well. Look at the census figures - there is a difference. Having grown up in Mercer County, unless someone is seeking small town/rural life, I see no point in trying to convince people used to the city to move there. Slippery Rock might be smaller, but when you have a rather large university attached, it is going to make a difference in that area. Plus they would be closer to Pittsburgh, Cranberry, Butler, a few miles further south of lake effect snow. If I needed to live that close to Grove City, I would live in Slippery Rock.

Slippery Rock over Grove City? Wow, that surprises me. Slippery Rock was always just an intersection to me that I had to drive through to get to Butler. Very car dependent.

Agree, it is closer to Pittsburgh, Cranberry, Butler......by what, 6-7 miles. Not enough to tip the scales.

Diversity in rural Western PA can be found at the Grove City Outlet Mall! Not kidding.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM

60 posts, read 85,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
"be prepared for anything (with a pile of exclamation points)? What would there to be prepared for? Low crime? Many college educated people? Nice sidewalks that are maintained? Clean air? The vibe of that place isn't like some Appalachian backwoods dirt road, with tons of old rusty lifted pickups and rebel flags flying. Be prepared for a pleasant town where people would say hello while walking by and people acting civil. What a strange thread.
No no... didn't mean that in a negative sense... I meant that more in the sense of hustle bustle of an urban setting that would be missing here..

Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM
gg

11,609 posts, read 7,858,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Slippery Rock over Grove City? Wow, that surprises me. .
Yeah, Grove City is greater than Slippery Rock except for the fact that North Country is in Slippery Rock. Take North Country out of that equation and Slippery Rock is... well an intersection. Grove City is much nicer. I was just at North Country about 2 hours ago. I do love that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh