U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM

104 posts, read 75,483 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me any info about Munhall, PA and Carrick, PA? Are they good for children? how are the schools and what is the crime rates and the rents? Thank you.

Last edited by ChristinaMichele; 07-23-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,082,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
Can anyone tell me any info about Munhall, PA and Carrick, PA? Are they good for children? how are the schools and what is the crime rates and the rents? Thank you.
Good for children:
Carrick - No
Munhall - Better but not the best

Schools:
Carrick - Not good (charter schools are better but private)
Munhall - Not good (Steel Valley is one of the worst in the area)

Crime:
Carrick - Moderate to high
Munhall - Lower, but depends where you live

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the info. It truly helps.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM

142 posts, read 205,437 times
Of the two options, I'd go with Munhall 100 times out of 100. Some neighborhoods are rather family-friendly and working class. Crime is not too bad, although there are certainly safer areas. But given the two choices, I'd go with Munhall.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 AM

3,361 posts, read 3,044,707 times
Munhall really has a couple of parts to it. You really want to be up by the business district and not by the Borough building which borders Homestead. I think this is called Munhall Park. Also, there is a part called Munhall Gardens which is on the far side of the Waterfront.

So, yes Munhall is nicer than Carrick if you live in the right area. Also, there is a Catholic School called St. Theresa's which is fairly popular with a lot of familes.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM

2,425 posts, read 2,069,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
Munhall is a confusing area if you don't look at a map. A big chunk of Munhall is what most people assume is Homestead. It runs north to the river and includes the east end of the Waterfront (the end where Lowes is). The Carnegie Library of Homestead is actually in Munhall. Another part of Munhall is the area most people assume is Whitaker. If you drive up Whitaker Way from E. 8th Ave, you are in Munhall until you reach Schwab Ave. The largest and most familiar part of Munhall is the area south of Homestead Cemetery. This includes the area along Main St, which is the business section of Munhall. There are some safe inexpensive neighborhoods on some of the streets off of Main St.

Regarding Carrick, I would have to agree with the other posters. Carrick seems to be on a rapid decline. The area closest to Brentwood would appear to be safer but you would still be in Pittsburgh City schools.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM

4,444 posts, read 3,136,162 times
As a current Carrick resident, I would recommend Munhall myself.

Also the poster above, a police officer told me that the 2 blocks between Carrick and Brentwood on Brownsville are some of the most troublesome in the city as far as crime goes. I saw a fist fight go down in broad daylight in the middle of the street myself and businesses there I visit often speak of how rough it is.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM

5,282 posts, read 3,185,181 times
I should say that I think "good schools" are overrated. Aggregate school test scores tend to correlate very well with demographics, meaning the racial and socio-economic background of a school. Therefore, all things being equal, what are commonly considered "good schools" are overwhelmingly white/Asian and upper/middle class.

That said, I thought I'd give you a primer anyway for whatever it's worth. Attached is a picture of Allegheny county by municipality, showing the ranked quality of the local schools. As there are 42 school districts, I arranged them in six groups of seven, with purple the highest-rated, then blue, green, yellow, orange, and red.

Note that Pittsburgh City Schools are ranked, in aggregate, very low, because we have some truly terrible schools. That said, Pittsburgh has a huge diversity in terms of schools, both because it's so much larger than the suburbs (with some neighborhood schools just as good as top suburban ones) and the magnet school system in general being excellent. In the other low-rated school districts, you don't have these options - except perhaps going to a charter school in a few locations.

Generally speaking, I think the only place within your price range in a top school district is Sharpsburg in Fox Chapel School District. Sharpsburg is a poor urban borough which was forcibly incorporated into a school district with the historic center of old money in Pittsburgh, thus funding is never a particular issue. That said, Sharpsburg has an elementary school to itself more or less, so your kids peers in elementary school would not be from families where achievement was a big deal. And Fox Chapel kids are notorious for teasing the kids from there (and Blawnox) as "river rats." I don't think the deal is worth it.

Another option would be Brentwood, which has a standalone school district which is above-average, but Brentwood is notoriously racist, and I would never suggest you subject biracial kids to it. You might run into the same issues in Verona, which shares an okay school district with Oakmont, but where there is a lot of racial tension as African-American families flee Penn Hills.

More seriously, the other areas outside the city with green and yellow (average districts) are what you probably need to look at. I'd avoid Millvale/Etna though, as they share an elementary school which is far worse than Shaler School District as a whole (for much the same reason that Sharpsburg has a worse elementary school than Fox Chapel School District as a whole).

I still say your best options are within the city proper. You might not be able to afford much in the Allderdice feeder zone, but some of the schools in the south of the city aren't atrocious, and your kids could always get into the magnet program later.
Attached Thumbnails
Munhall and/or Carrick pa?-allegheny-county-schools.png  

Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks guys for all the info.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Status: "GIANTS! Did you hear me screaming from Crafton?" (set 18 days ago)

2,667 posts, read 1,824,104 times
I've seen photos of beautifully restored old homes in Munhall. It seems to be a few blocks near a park, perhaps? I don't know if this is enough info to be able to tell me what this section is called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh