Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

109 posts, read 128,040 times

Advertisements

The Science Center was a favorite of mine growing up, but the Art and History will last you much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM

439 posts, read 1,470,838 times
I would say the Carnegie museum also, but if you went to the Science Center, the Childrens's museum is right around the corner.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,506,011 times
I was just at the museum with a 5 year old boy. He loved it but I don't think we spent a lot of time there. Might be able to spend more time at the Science Center.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
The other upside of the Science Center is that the Children's Museum and Aviary are right both nearby so you can easily do all three in one day.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 AM

89 posts, read 169,878 times
Science Center, no doubt. It's way better for children. There are more hands on things to do and shows and stuff. My daughter loves it! There are also beautiful views that let you see 360 degree angles of the city.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luabear View Post
Science Center, no doubt. It's way better for children.
I disagree. I have many found memories at the Carnegie natural history and art museums when I was a child. My parents took us there often, not just once or twice. I knew every crevice of that museum and all the secret passageways. Time spent there probably contributed greatly to my creative talent. By 5th grade, my elementary school selected me to take art classes there. My parents dropped me off every Saturday for the day. I'm not saying the science center isn't great for kids. Just that it's not better. They're both great for kids in different ways.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM

198 posts, read 421,376 times
wow hopes! your childhood mirrors mine. i can close my eyes now and still see the set up of the museum. from the t-rex to the various dioramas to the art galleries. i also took some art classes there and then when i was older and an art student at 'tech' we used to go there to sketch.

those displays must have made an impression on me as i can see so many clearly in my mind even at my advanced age

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith View Post
wow hopes! your childhood mirrors mine. i can close my eyes now and still see the set up of the museum. from the t-rex to the various dioramas to the art galleries. i also took some art classes there and then when i was older and an art student at 'tech' we used to go there to sketch.

those displays must have made an impression on me as i can see so many clearly in my mind even at my advanced age
Me too! I can still remember every piece I sketched there.

George Segal's Tightrope Walker sculpture was my first sketch of the human body.

The taxidermy room spooked me but it didn't stop me from taking a short cut to the cafeteria or library.

I liked the old dinosaur hall better than the new one. Those large skeletons were much more intimidating in the starkness.

I get lost when I'm there now. Everything is changed. But that's a good thing because there's new stuff.

I fell in love with Van Gogh's The Plain of Auvers last year. I never really noticed it before.

Proof that going again and again never gets boring!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,942,390 times
I agree they are both good, with no clear winner--it will depend on the kid, what they have done more recently, and so on.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,595,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree they are both good, with no clear winner--it will depend on the kid, what they have done more recently, and so on.
This. We actually took a not-yet-3-year-old to the Natural History museum a couple months ago because he's a dinosaur nut. Even though a lot of the scientific aspects are beyond him so far, he still got the idea of actually seeing the dinosaur skeletons, how big they were, etc. The other place he went was the Children's Museum which was pronounced quite excellent. Oh, and the zoo.

Plus, the Science Center opened in late 1991 (right before I moved here) so these guys thinking wistfully of their childhood didn't actually have that choice then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh