Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,541,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I
Or not near a state prison.
I find this one in particular has to rear it's ugly head many times when I think I've finally found the perfect place!

That, or a meat-packing plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,985,149 times
You remind me of me! I spend way too much time looking at houses online, driving by them, and looking at them in person. It has become a strange hobby of mine. I'm also looking for something that doesn't exist - a liveable, 100% intact, preferably pre-1900 Victorian for less than $50k or so. I also don't want to live in Duquesne or McKeesport, so that narrows things down considerably. lol

I'm also starting to feel better about just staying in my house. I know that it's an extremely solid house, and it doesn't have any hidden problems. That's a nice feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My current house is starting to look better and better everyday! I know the wiring, plumbing is new. I know it's well insulated. etc, etc. etc.

I'm getting worn out just looking online. It's so easy to get frustrated and bored looking at the crap that's out there.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
I'm surprised you haven't found anything meeting at least most of your criteria in Beaver County. I'm sure there are properties like that in BC. Maybe they just aren't for sale?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,677,683 times
A couple areas in Pennsylvania you might consider for great natural settings: Potter County and Elk/Forest/Clinton/Union counties near the state parks. Potter County is probably my favorite, but there are a lot of amazing places in and around Allegheny National Forest, Cook Forest, Elk State Forest, Bald Eagle State Forest.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,957,010 times
Since you're open to other states, have you considered Florida? Lots of 1-story homes there, and lots of large pieces of property with lakes in the central part of the state for a relatively inexpensive price. Homes there have decks and patios out the ying yang, Plus, no strip mining there. Not sure about the prisons, however.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,912,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Since you're open to other states, have you considered Florida? Lots of 1-story homes there, and lots of large pieces of property with lakes in the central part of the state for a relatively inexpensive price. Homes there have decks and patios out the ying yang, Plus, no strip mining there. Not sure about the prisons, however.
I'd rather have a prison a few miles away than have Florida bugs in my home.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,957,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I'd rather have a prison a few miles away than have Florida bugs in my home.
You just have to look at them as free household pets that you don't have to take to a vet or buy pet food for.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM

104 posts, read 188,401 times
Granted, I don't live in PA to know what it's really like but I've been researching PA, specifically Pittsburgh for about 6 years now. I can tell you that I have found MANY homes with your exact description and if they didn't have a built in pool, the backyards were big enough for you to buy a pool and just put it in your backyard. I think you will find something soon Good luck to you.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,481,007 times
Here is one.

200 Bovard Lane Natrona Heights, PA 15065| Prudential Preferred Realty

Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 AM

44,910 posts, read 59,894,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
A couple areas in Pennsylvania you might consider for great natural settings: Potter County and Elk/Forest/Clinton/Union counties near the state parks. Potter County is probably my favorite, but there are a lot of amazing places in and around Allegheny National Forest, Cook Forest, Elk State Forest, Bald Eagle State Forest.

I was just getting ready to be serious and mention these. BUT, you do have mining in the area (down towards Clarion) and there is fracking being done in the northern tier. There are prisons at both Marienville and between Smethport and Bradford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh