Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
Since when is an additional 12,000+ educated people "no real difference"?
When it's being used to bolster the claim that Portland has "much higher levels of higher education", that's when. The claim struck me as exaggerated and now that I see the source I know it is.

Other surveys find different results:
The Most and Least Educated Cities | Men's Health

Certainly no clear, "much higher level" type distinctions should be drawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I really have no problem with cyclists sneaking through a red light, provided they stop first, and there is no cross traffic. As for pedestrians, they are far worse. At the intersections where there is a four way stop light, they never wait for the walk sign, they just stroll out into the street when they get ready, cell phone glued to their ear. In fact, whenever I see some idiocy on the road, whether it's a driver, or pedestrian, 75% of the time, you will see either an arm, or some wires connected to the ear.
The WORST intersection for this is Forbes & Murray in Squirrel Hill. I routinely have to blare my horn here at pedestrians who casually stroll into the intersection when I'm trying to turn into their paths. People, you have a four-way red-light with all "WALK" signals for a REASON!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The WORST intersection for this is Forbes & Murray in Squirrel Hill. I routinely have to blare my horn here at pedestrians who casually stroll into the intersection when I'm trying to turn into their paths. People, you have a four-way red-light with all "WALK" signals for a REASON!
Forbes and Smithfield is another horrible one. These people seem as though they don't know what the red hand means.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
I really have no problem with cyclists sneaking through a red light, provided they stop first, and there is no cross traffic. As for pedestrians, they are far worse. At the intersections where there is a four way stop light, they never wait for the walk sign, they just stroll out into the street when they get ready, cell phone glued to their ear. In fact, whenever I see some idiocy on the road, whether it's a driver, or pedestrian, 75% of the time, you will see either an arm, or some wires connected to the ear.

As a frequent pedestrian and runner, "they never wait for the walk sign" is a truly ignorant statement.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
As a frequent pedestrian and runner, "they never wait for the walk sign" is a truly ignorant statement.

BULL! I see it every single day. The pedestrians in this city are awful, and would be road kill in NYC.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
there's a difference between saying "lots of people do x" and "everyone does x", you know.

i see pedestrians jaywalking all the time. hell, i do it all the time crossing penn and 44th cause you know what? the light cycle for cars is exactly the same whether there's a walk sign for pedestrians or not. if i get to that intersection and i wasn't in time to hit the button, i am still walking when the light is green in my direction cause nothing is different for the cars. well after i wait for the 1-2 cars that run the red light every single time.

which reminds me, i see cars running red lights all the time. i just drove through penn & 5th and i saw 10 cars doing illegal/stupid things just in 1 light cycle and just on penn. that was after i watched some douche on a cell phone creep all the way to the intersection on braddock turning left onto penn (when the line to stop is a good 1-2 car lengths back) for NO REASON. he put himself and others in danger and didn't even save himself 5 seconds.

i see people on bikes doing dumb things all the time. then again this guy biking behind me on penn was riding perfectly. lots of cars were not breaking the law, although pretty much all of them were speeding. lots of pedestrians were waiting their turn to cross.

it's human nature to notice people doing things that are out of the ordinary, that make you mad, that interfere with your driving or walking or riding. it takes much more concentration to notice all the people who are following the law.

Last edited by groar; 08-06-2012 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM

People read way too much into various statements. Nowhere did I say ALL pedestrians, but it's surely way too many.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
People read way too much into various statements. Nowhere did I say ALL pedestrians, but it's surely way too many.
"As for pedestrians, they are far worse. At the intersections where there is a four way stop light, they never wait for the walk sign"

hm i must have a pretty wild imagination to interpret your use of "never" as meaning "never".

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
There's an interesting article in The Atlantic today called "Why Cyclists Run Red Lights" Why Cyclists Run Red Lights - Commute - The Atlantic Cities

Their survey of 2000 cyclists indicated ;

A little more than 25% ran reds because nobody else was around.
17% said that they keep going through a signal when there weren't any cars on the road,
11% said that they do the same in a crosswalk if there aren't any pedestrians.
Only a few (4%) said they did it because they thought it was safe , and very few (< 1%) said they always ran reds regardless of the situation.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Ditching the Car for the Bike in Pittsburgh:

Quote:
Pittsburgh's shift away from driving is in large part due to a big spike in our cyclist population. Since the 2000 Census, the number of Pittsburgh adults who commute by bike increased by 269%, the second biggest jump in bike commuting among the largest U.S. cities.

"Back in 2000, about 0.4% of Pittsburghers chose the bicycle as their primary way to get to work. Today, we’re up to about 1.6% – about the level that Portland, Oregon was 10 years ago. This ranks us as the 13th highest bicycle commuter rate in the nation," report the folks at Bike Pittsburgh on their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh