U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM

3,191 posts, read 6,041,190 times

Advertisements

Bicyclist critical after Point Breeze accident - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,202,382 times
I hope he's OK. After last week's tragedy where someone died and the car sped away, to have another accident in the same area is terrible.

Penn Avenue from Wilkinsburg to Fifth is a dangerous street at any time. It's either two or four lanes between Wilkinsburg and Braddock Avenue, then it's a very narrow and dangerous four lanes to Fifth. It should really be a two-lane street, which it probably was at one time. Then, depending on the time of day, cars are allowed to park on a short one or two-block section, which screws it up even more.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 AM
gg

20,869 posts, read 20,085,088 times
Sure is the worst year in my mind for so many aggressive drivers around the city. Wish the cops would start enforcing the speed limits and had out thousands and thousands of tickets. It is really horrible to drive a car or ride a bike around the city these days. I never remember it being so bad and the amount of aggressive people around here is really depressing. Sure is different these days. NO ONE waves when you let them in and everyone is rushing to the next red light and cutting anyone off they can to get nowhere. Just a sign of the times I guess, but I think it is time for police to actually start pulling people over and handing out our bit PA speeding tickets left and right. Our fines are large and they need to be enforced NOW!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 AM

7,422 posts, read 14,302,160 times
thanks for making a new thread.

penn ave between the wilkinsburg business district and penn circle really needs a complete ban on parking and at the very least shared lane markings. and yeah, some enforcement of the speed limit would be nice, wouldn't it? it gets so jammed up at rush hour that i don't know if losing a lane to a bike lane would be feasible, but something has to be done. and east of braddock there could totally be a bike lane, no problem. that would have an added bonus of clearing up some of the 1 lane or 2 confusion that is the current situation.

if someone could post when any identifying information about the victim is released i'd appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,098,505 times
OMG. This is so sad. I really hope he recovers. Yes police should enforce rules and fine motorists but the city dwellers should enlarge the roads and build bike lanes.

Until then I hope that every biker out there plays it safe and either finds alternate routes with less traffic or exercise caution.

The roads are NOT safe, especially the narrow, two lane ones that are so congested with traffic. In such crowds there surely are nervous people, hurried people, old people etc.

h-curtis, I do wave when somebody lets me in.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM
gg

Believe me if motorists would obey speed limits there would be WAY less carnage on that road. I am not just talking about SUVs/Jeeps and whatever smashing into bicyclists, I am just talking about all the wrecks. There was a huge accident on Rt. 28 with a Jeep flipped over and about 5 fire trucks and it didn't make the news. Just normal everyday driving around here these days. The police need to get it together and start enforcing SPEEDING!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Until then I hope that every biker out there plays it safe and either finds alternate routes with less traffic or exercise caution.
i have no idea where this person was going or coming from but where they were on penn actually corresponds with a route between 2 safer streets that parallel penn. i personally don't know how you'd get between those two streets without riding on penn for a couple of blocks, but i am not an expert on east end bike routes either.

you can also exercise all the caution you want and still get hit.

who knows what the story was in this case and i know you mean well with your post but it irks me that whenever something like this happens (same with pedestrians getting hit by cars) people immediately start talking about what bikers need to do to protect themselves and, either implicitly or explicitly, what the person who got hit did wrong to bring this on themselves. i do hope that bikers ride safely but i also hope that people riding around in 2 ton hunks of metal drive safely, follow the rules of the road, drive at a reasonable speed and look out for bikes!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
...but i also hope that people riding around in 2 ton hunks of metal drive safely, follow the rules of the road, drive at a reasonable speed and look out for bikes!
This will only change with police enforcement of the LAW. I don't think I ever see ANYONE driving the speed limit these days. Even when I ride my bike through the zoo people are driving 40-45 with no regard for anyone but themselves and actually having to slam on their brakes going up hill to make it around the bend and the SUVs coming down the hill are crossing over the double yellow to cut the bend to make it around without flipping their junky truck over. This is EVERYWHERE in the city and everyone knows the city police don't enforce the speed limits anywhere, so they drive as they please. I frequently see people passing on the right side of moving cars on Highland to get in front of the other driver. Oh yeah and that is when I am riding my bike in that area. They have no regard for me or anyone else. It is the new Pittsburgh. Aggressive people are so common these days. If you do drive the speed limit be prepared to be tailgated by inches by some huge SUV and maybe even honked at. It is what it is, but that is now the Pittsburgh way.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM

i agree that we need more enforcement, h_curtis, i'm just drawing a parallel for all of the people who say "bikers, do THIS" when something like this happens. why not say "drivers, do THIS"? we don't see people saying "well that person shouldn't have been driving on penn" (or wherever) when there's a car crash there, yknow? even though penn is also a very dangerous place for people in cars. i actually avoid it myself as much as i can, driving or biking.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,202,382 times
It's true that speeding is a huge problem, especially on city streets that are narrow and congested. That stretch of Penn is like a speedway sometimes. Drivers have no regard for anyone other than themselves, they weave in and out of lanes, turn left in front of others, and blow through red lights constantly. Add to that the fact that so many are talkinig on the phone or texting (it still happens), and you have a recipe for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh