Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times

Advertisements

Here is the site in question: http://www.oxfordrealtyservices.com/leasing-pdf/East%20Carson%20&%207th%20Street.pdf

They just finished demolishing the old cement plant structure on the lot a week ago.

Now here is the interesting part: I found this little piece of information from another website about the future redevelopment at that location:

Quote:
FYI, a gas company (not sure which one; not Consol) has created a subsidiary to open natgas fueling stations that also see gasoline. The flagship store will be on the South Side, at the old Rennekamp site. They are going for a very modern, progressive vibe, complete with a 2-story store/cafe that will include an atrium and a green roof.

And get this: they will be compressing gas onsite - no deliveries, except for gasoline. They're reusing the same gas line that the old plant used for firing their concrete block equipment.
This is exciting if true, since that is an important stretch of Carson Street that basically serves as the gateway to the Southside Flats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Very interesting find.

Incidentally, right now I am not sure it is even possible to buy a new NG passenger car in this area. I would hope that changes.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM

I think that this is a great use for the site. Although the regular gas station part will have a lot of competition from just down the street at the 10th and Carson cluster. However, the urban modern cafe and store as well as the unique natgas aspect should give this place an edge over other "service stations" in the area.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
a naturalgas fueling station sounds like a surefire money loser to be honest. Im hopeing for something interesting enough to be built there that can act to kickstart that dead area between station square and the southside

Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
a naturalgas fueling station sounds like a surefire money loser to be honest. Im hopeing for something interesting enough to be built there that can act to kickstart that dead area between station square and the southside
The natural gas part almost seems like a novelty and an afterthought to the project. Take that small part out and it's likely still completely viable.

I will hold out on any further opinions on my part until there is more information or at least a rendering of the proposal.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM

More info: Proposed South Side service station has neighbors concerned

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:

The increased supply of available natural gas means that they are hoping to expand the use of the fuel for transportation use- this could be cutting edge.

There is a school bus company in that sector as well as a truck sales dealer and several other industrial type concerns. Actually the old Rennekamp site seems fine to me for this purpose.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The increased supply of available natural gas means that they are hoping to expand the use of the fuel for transportation use- this could be cutting edge.

There is a school bus company in that sector as well as a truck sales dealer and several other industrial type concerns. Actually the old Rennekamp site seems fine to me for this purpose.
Is the nat gas station plan there still going through with the new natural gas gas station that's in station square just down the road?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Quote:
Is the nat gas station plan there still going through with the new natural gas gas station that's in station square just down the road?
I'm pretty sure the natural gas station that is opening up in Station Square is the one that was proposed for the other site. I don't have any sources, but I'd say no.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM

I hope something goes there soon, because the site is a total eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh