Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times

Advertisements

I thought the Pirate Parrot was the official bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've seen them on Crane Avenue in Beechview, too. I'm assuming they live back in the Seldom Seen Greenway but make the occasional field trip across the road.

are you kidding? they arent a rare sight.

there is a FLOCK of them that roam about on Crane - and yes, near the Seldom Seen. however, i do NOT think those are actually turkeys, fleet! its hard to tell with the shade of the woods, but i think those are grouse, possibly pheasants.

last week on Bigelow Street in Greenfield, not far from the crest of the hill, i saw a HUGE wild turkey come out between two homes, saunter across the road, then through a wooded yard. the thing may have been 4 feet high, i kid you not.

falcons or hawks are hardly a rare sight anymore. does anyone remember that bear that actually wandered through Point Breeze, CROSSED fifth avenue, then eventually found its way to Duck Hollow? i think that was early 90s..

Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Yup, and I met the woman living on N. Charles that feeds them too. She had a line of about 15 following her. Turkeys are everywhere in the city, they must be tough animals.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Wild turkeys are definitely the bad-a$$es of the North American forest birds. And I think they have figured out that humans are no longer all carrying around muskets.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Random comment, but has anyone else noticed a lot more rabbits this year? They are all over the place in Regent Square.
There is a little family of rabbits who apparently live in the bushes off of our side yard. I think they're adorable, but my wife is less enamored of them after planting a garden.

I've also heard that Arsenal Park is full of them right now -- more than usual.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 8,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I was visiting some of my favorite houses in C-K on my way back from the post office and Breadworks; I came a flock of turkeys and was really surprised, as I haven't seen them in the city before. Anyone else?

e

I have not seen turkeys. I did however see two deer in the War Streets while walking home from the pub one night....Yes, I know what your thinking but i assure you I was of sound mind and sight

Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Random thought: does the City of Pittsburgh have an official city bird? And if not, could it name the wild turkey its official city bird? I think that would be cool.
The official city bird is the "Dead Raven".

Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
I've seen wild turkeys in the alleys of L'ville. Although I think they prefer the quieter habitat over in the Allegheny Cemetery.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM

49 posts, read 80,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I was visiting some of my favorite houses in C-K on my way back from the post office and Breadworks; I came a flock of turkeys and was really surprised, as I haven't seen them in the city before. Anyone else?

e
When we lived in Hazelwood we saw them all the time. Near Calvary Cemetery

Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
There actually seem to be fewer turkeys in the woods behind my house than there were a few yerars ago. (Keep in mind I'm well outside the city.) One of my neighbors suggested that coyotes might be eating them.

As far as wildlife in the city, besides the deer and turkeys, I've seen foxes, and in the river, about 150 yards downstream of Washigton's Landing, several beavers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh