Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,942,390 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I hope we are only one or two more election cycles from having a rational majority on the Board. But we aren't there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,648,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Wilkinsburg isn't the place for me. Wow!
no way we had no idea

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Include me among those who live in the city who wouldn't mind Wilkinsburg being annexed wholesale.
lol. Note to self: NEVER move into the city.

Annexing Wilkinsburg will be a big selling point to the residents of the rich suburbs you'd also like to annex.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 AM

omg the poor people might leach over into the city proper, how gross!

also who is talking about annexing rich suburbs?

Last edited by groar; 08-08-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 AM

19 posts, read 20,329 times
I believe the next board elections don't take place until Spring 2013? I would assume this is the only way to influence this situation.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHproud View Post
I believe the next board elections don't take place until Spring 2013? I would assume this is the only way to influence this situation.
yeah, unless someone resigns i think that's it.

at least now there is an active coalition trying to get new and better members on the board. the problem is most people don't give a crap and just vote for people they know/familiar names/randomly so the same people keep getting reelected.

Last edited by groar; 08-08-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,563,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHproud View Post
Almost, but not quite. The other alternative would be for the state Dept of Ed to exert its authority, as it has done with Duquesne SD, to take control of the school district. Whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing, in light of the Duquesne example, is an open question - having taken that step there, the state seems to have failed to move on to the next logical step, forcing the district's dissolution and annexation. However, it is an alternative, if election fails to produce a local majority in favor of the obviously necessary steps.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,942,390 times
It isn't very hard to imagine a post-annexation Wilkinsburg becoming the next East Liberty (in fact it isn't hard to imagine that happening either way).

So one way to ask the question is: would the City right now kick out East Liberty if it could? Would that make it look like a more promising partner for other possible municipal deals, or otherwise improve its long-term prospects?

I think not.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,563,896 times
Any kind of annexation will require a state-city-borough partnership at some level - all three will be involved, and the full commitment of all three will probably be necessary. (And by city and borough, I mean both municipal and school authorities).

At the state level, the precondition is genuine interest in public education reform - leadership will have to want to make a solution to the zombie district problem one of its battle honours: "In my first term, I blazed the trail and showed Pennsylvanians I'm willing to tackle failed districts for the sake of our kids' future".

As regards the city, since the main argument against is financial, I think the key is enough imagination to see development potential - "Despite the shortsighted cavils of my opponents, I had the foresight to see that blighted areas adjacent to the City are a key to Pittsburgh's prosperity, and improvements since my legislation have proved me right".

Within the borough, the main issue is local control vs. greater opportunity - "People said we didn't need outsiders running our schools, but let me introduce you to my young friend here, now a straight-A student at CAPA."

Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Within the borough, the main issue is local control vs. greater opportunity - "People said we didn't need outsiders running our schools, but let me introduce you to my young friend here, now a straight-A student at CAPA."
yup, i think this is the crux of the matter. the old guard on the school board (most of them) don't want to give up the district's autonomy. this seems ridiculous to me when you see what has (or more importantly hasn't) been achieved by that autonomy, but i think if you asked them that's what they'd say.

the actual reason is probably more about not wanting to give up a position of power, no matter how meaningless it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh