Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times

Advertisements

I still say NYC is Hollywood east....But The Burgh definitely can make a case a the "2nd City" as a lot of the DC based movies are filmed in LA with DC skyline shots, Boston, Baltimore, nor Philly does as much in the film industry as Pittsburgh

Quote:
Pittsburgh reinvents itself as the new Hollywood

here are a lot more businesses that support the film industry here than there were four years ago, so they can utilize those resources instead of having to bring them in from elsewhere," Salera said.

Pittsburgh reinvents itself as the new Hollywood for film - Aug. 7, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 AM

429 posts, read 654,240 times
Why must every article of a national publication have to always reiterate the fact the Pittsburgh is no longer the dumpy, smoggy, industrial wasteland everybody thought it was? It gets annoying.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM

270 posts, read 340,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Why must every article of a national publication have to always reiterate the fact the Pittsburgh is no longer the dumpy, smoggy, industrial wasteland everybody thought it was? It gets annoying.

Because much of America still views Pittsburgh that way. I agree, it's silly- the "smoky steel mill" era ended 35 years ago, not 5 years ago. Hopefully this kind of press, coupled with Pittsburgh economic resurgence, will change that perception. Although Pittsburgh "reinvented" itself a long time ago, there still hasn't been a significant influx of people from elsewhere until recently. Let's face it, Pittsburgh is still kind of provincial and isolated in many ways and much of America doesn't take notice of it even when all these "best place to live" etc. articles get published. We need more "outsiders" to come live here for this to change.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I still say NYC is Hollywood east....But The Burgh definitely can make a case a the "2nd City" as a lot of the DC based movies are filmed in LA with DC skyline shots, Boston, Baltimore, nor Philly does as much in the film industry as Pittsburgh
Although NYC is the backdrop for a lot of films, I think we now have production studios here (according to the Pittsburgh Film Office) that are unrivaled outside of Los Angeles. It is my understanding that is what the whole "Hollywood of the East" marketing hoopla is referring to.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Unfortunately, if you tell just about anyone that you're moving to Pittsburgh from just about anywhere else, the standard response you'll get is "Why?!" Our image of being an industrial wasteland hasn't been shed yet, and it will be a long time before it works its way through the collective consciousness of America.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM

270 posts, read 340,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Unfortunately, if you tell just about anyone that you're moving to Pittsburgh from just about anywhere else, the standard response you'll get is "Why?!" Our image of being an industrial wasteland hasn't been shed yet, and it will be a long time before it works its way through the collective consciousness of America.

Honestly, the name doesn't help either. Having "Pit" in the name of your city causes a subliminal reaction, I swear.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM

456 posts, read 833,292 times
Pittsburgh has low costs for movie filming, and has some nice backdrops to be seen as your typical Hollywood city.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Pittsburgh has everything it needs to be Hollywood East except a bunch of actors living here, but that alone is a bit of an issue.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Pittsburgh has everything it needs to be Hollywood East except a bunch of actors living here, but that alone is a bit of an issue.
but they are here! ok, not names anyone would know, but some very talented people nonetheless.
this city may not be on par w/ NYC or even Philadelphia, but there are very strong media-related programs at the Art Institute and Point Park University. from that, lots of young actors abound.

in 2010 i was in several movies as an extra. long story short - in one, on a whim, i was actually given lines. in another, i was with viola davis and maggie gyllenhaal ("steel town", but renamed something else since). in another, i was a gangster, but kept laughing when we had to gang rush someone with machine guns. i dont think anyone noticed.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
but they are here! ok, not names anyone would know, but some very talented people nonetheless.
Sorry, you are right. I should have qualified that statement in some way--I meant specifically the sort of big name actors that typically have the major parts in big-budget movies and television series. Movies I gather is actually less of a problem since movie actors are used to spending some weeks on location, but I understand it may be a problem with a television series.

That said, last I knew there was also still a problem with aspiring young actors interested in movies/TV moving to NYC and LA from Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh