Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There is a reason people congregate of all types you know. Everyone chooses neighborhoods for these reasons. Don't act all high and mighty. You are like everyone else, except you like to point a finger and judge the different styles of neighborhoods. Jealousy? Don't know? Do you think people living in a $500K plus home or a mill is going to shop at 5 below? The crappy Waterworks wasn't designed for the people who live here. It was deigned for lower end city dwellers that can catch a quick bus ride. There was no shopping in the city except Walnut Street and that catered to Shadyside/Squirrel Hill, so it was too expensive, so the Waterworks was born. I thought it would mellow out when Target opened, but it is the same. Cops everywhere, theft all the time, people yelling and screaming on cell phones holding them in front of their faces because they think they have to for some reason and hoping they are seen by other people yelling into their cell phones. Litter and the list goes on. It is a hole, with a good State Store, if there is such a thing. Most every place there is super low end. When they opened that dump, it was more of a mixed bag, but the store owners soon realized the people in the neighborhood weren't going to shop in those conditions. Why would they, when they can go to Walnut Street or if they have to go to a big Mall, Ross Park. There is nothing at the Waterworks for residents, other than a good wine selection.
I shop at the waterworks mall quite often. I cannot say that the place is filled with litter. I cannot recall the last time I saw any type of illicit or obnoxious behavior. I do not think that theft is any higher in Waterworks than in Ross Park or Walnut street for that matter. I shop on Walnut street as well and can tell you that there is way more litter on Walnut and the adjacent parking areas than in the waterworks. I drive to the waterworks and pass the Giant Eagle bus stop quite often. The people waiting for the bus are obviously from a different demographic. I have no issues with people from different demographics shopping in a place that I frequent. They have to live as well. Their children need school supplies just as much as my kids. Their families have to eat just as much as any other family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Most Giant Eagles in bad or troubled areas have Pittsburgh detail cops working at some point of the day. South Side, North Side, Waterworks Eagles all have had them in their employ for years that I know of.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
On a tangent note here, please someone explain to me how it is possible for someone who is poor to live on government money? As far as I know unepmloyment is given for a period of time (maybe o year?) and that's it. Why these people whom you say sit all day on the porch and drink beer collect money instead of working? Aren't there social workers to figure out these people can work and try to address the situation? Aren't their benefits - whatever they are - only for a limited time?
I mean this is not Canada. I know in Canada is like this, but here?
Not to derail the subject, but;

Yep, has been going on years. Third, fourth, fifth generations and so on. Mom and dad did it, so why not the kids, and their kids, and their kids? Sure, the government put laws into effect to try and curb the abuse, but there is still obviously a way around it being you see plenty of welfare or "disabled" folks loading up their Escalades and Navigators with WIC and Access paid food. Just have more kids and have a drug or alcohol problem.

My dad was on his death bed with a hardened lung and two months before he died, he was finally approved for disability. Yes, that was years ago when things were more stringent. Wonder how it would be now?

All I can say is they just started an investigation on one of the judges being too lenient of approving disability claims in Allegheny County. If I can find the news story, I will post it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
On a tangent note here, please someone explain to me how it is possible for someone who is poor to live on government money? As far as I know unepmloyment is given for a period of time (maybe o year?) and that's it. Why these people whom you say sit all day on the porch and drink beer collect money instead of working? Aren't there social workers to figure out these people can work and try to address the situation? Aren't their benefits - whatever they are - only for a limited time?
I mean this is not Canada. I know in Canada is like this, but here?
I have junkies in my neighborhood on SSI. I have no idea if the cart came before the "horse" as it were, as they have lived here their whole lives and I haven't, so while I do know at one time they both worked at factory jobs; whether they became addicted to heroine first and then due to that hurt themselves on the job to get SSI, or if they were hurt, went on SSI, then became addicted because they were bored.

I know I am off work due to a back injury this week and I am bored out of my skull, and can't spend more than 10 minutes sitting at the desk.... and TV sucks now.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Don't get it twisted there are bums in the black community who waste their life away with welfare money, but thats only a small percentage of us. Most blacks who live in the hood are family oriented people who work their hardest to provide for their love ones. The ones who waste their time waiting around for check are likely either former or current criminals, hard core stoners, alcholics, dope dealers, dope users and prostitutes who are basically unemployed...

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM

Here's the story I spoke about earlier;

Explosion of disability payouts hobbles program | TribLIVE

Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM

225 posts, read 299,736 times
Quote:
I my opinion guns are too easy to get to. For God sake, at Market District they make it more difficult for one to buy a bottle of wine that it is in sporting goods store to buy a damn gun. And we were wondering why we have these shootings? Go figure.
Tell me more about the background checks on a bottle of wine.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
Tell me more about the background checks on a bottle of wine.
I guess you're not familiar with the wine vending machines that involved swiping your ID, video conferencing with an official in Harrisburg, and taking a breathalyzer test?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Yes, that sucks, really. I feel like a criminal with so much inquiry to buy a god damn bottle of wine. Oh and don;t even start me on that time when I wanted to make limoncello from scratch and I went to the liquor store and inocently asked for a bottle 80 proof alcohol and the clerk looked at me like I was from another planet.

If I have asked to buy a gun he wouldn;t have looked at me like that.

FYI the limoncello doesn;t taste the same with vodka in it.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
What is "80 proof alcohol", just pure alcohol watered down to 80 proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh