Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 PM

733 posts, read 986,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
That is a lot to blow up. Basically, everything but the Children's Museum should go. It would be great if they could blow it up and put in some nice single family housing that is priced from 175-300,000. I think we have too many lofts or condos already.
For some reason that Weezer song "Only in Dreams" springs to mind, haha. Man, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
That is a lot to blow up. Basically, everything but the Children's Museum should go. It would be great if they could blow it up and put in some nice single family housing that is priced from 175-300,000. I think we have too many lofts or condos already.
I'm all for rethinking Allegheny Center (reconnecting the grid, traffic patterns, etc.) but I couldn't think of a worse idea for the area than single family housing. Historically, that was the center of Allegheny City, commercially, governmentally, etc. IMHO, what the area needs is activity, density, vibrancy so it can serve its purpose again. There's plenty of room on the Northside to contemplate single family housing but in Allegheny Center it would be tragic.

BTW, the old library/ New Haslet Theatre obviously needs to stay as well. I've little problem with most of the outlying buildings.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
If it has to be residential, it should be single family homes in the style of Columbus Square or Federal Hill. But some street level retail would work great also.

Honestly, even leveling it and making it part of Allegheny Commons park would be a better use of the land than the current situation. Just leave the Children's Museum and Hazlett theater sitting in the middle of it a la the Aviary.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Everything but the Children's Museum AND the old, former site of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's Allegheny Regional Branch. It is designated a historic site afterall.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,780 times
One suggestion - can you change the name of one neighborhood, "Perry North" to "Observatory Hill". We bought there many years ago and are raising our family there. The houses are great and if you like late Victorian-to-Craftsman style houses -- we have a ton. One of them was featured on the Today Show's real estate segment back in June as a 'Deal Under 200K". Click here for the link to the video

The name thing is a pet peeve. No one who lives there calls it Perry North. It has always been Observatory Hill. The street signs say Observatory Hill (back when Mayor Sophie got street signs up in all the neighborhoods in the late 1980s). The only folks that call it Perry North are the Dept. of City Planning folks - and they refuse to change their maps (I know, I have asked). And as City Planning goes, so goes ESRI, Census, and Google Maps.

Haven't read all of the posts - and am not able to take the time to look at the methodology you used to come up with your boundaries - so no general comments yet on that aspect - but getting the name change would be great.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM

bikemarkpgh - Good point. I have always despised that naming as well, and Observatory Hill is more idyllic. FYI, the site of the original observatory is on the hill where Triangle Tech now stands.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemarkpgh View Post
One suggestion - can you change the name of one neighborhood, "Perry North" to "Observatory Hill". We bought there many years ago and are raising our family there. The houses are great and if you like late Victorian-to-Craftsman style houses -- we have a ton. One of them was featured on the Today Show's real estate segment back in June as a 'Deal Under 200K". Click here for the link to the video

The name thing is a pet peeve. No one who lives there calls it Perry North. It has always been Observatory Hill. The street signs say Observatory Hill (back when Mayor Sophie got street signs up in all the neighborhoods in the late 1980s). The only folks that call it Perry North are the Dept. of City Planning folks - and they refuse to change their maps (I know, I have asked). And as City Planning goes, so goes ESRI, Census, and Google Maps.

Haven't read all of the posts - and am not able to take the time to look at the methodology you used to come up with your boundaries - so no general comments yet on that aspect - but getting the name change would be great.

Thanks.
I've heard the name used before, of course, but I was unsure if all of Perry North was called Observatory Hill, or only a portion.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM

"I've heard the name used before, of course, but I was unsure if all of Perry North was called Observatory Hill, or only a portion."

I see Observatory Hill as neighborhood between Perrysville at Bascom to Perrysville at Marshall. Then there is the "Perry Hilltop" which to me means the neighborhood between Perrysville and Federal St. Extension, area up by old channel 11 station and up Perrysville to Charles Street.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Isn't there a business district outside of city limits with blue banners proclaiming the "Perrysville" name? I can't find it on google streetview, but it's right on Perrysville highway.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Isn't there a business district outside of city limits with blue banners proclaiming the "Perrysville" name? I can't find it on google streetview, but it's right on Perrysville highway.
It's way north of where they're talking about though in Ross Township, north of West View borough, which is also on the other side of 279, etc, even though technically it is still the same road up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh