Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM

508 posts, read 889,504 times

Advertisements

Here is a scenario:

Say you have an adult brother and mother living in the New York City Metropolitan area. They are both sick and tired of renting. Which parts of City of Pittsburgh or Allegheny County at large would you stick them into?

All they need is a small but functional 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house. A driveway, garage or on-street parking would be a must for at least 1 spot. Safety is extremely important as they both live in a very safe suburban environment.

They both are extremely educated and cultured individuals. A walkable area would be a plus but I know that adds a premium to the price. Unfortunately, they can't afford Squirrel Hill and South Side would be a bit too boisterous on the weeknights for their taste. Greenfield is one option but appears to be almost as pricey as Squirrel Hill.

I've been looking into Bethel Park, Brookline, Dormont and now even Millvale. Mind you I have been doing the house hunting since I live in North Side. Which I know is a radically different ball of wax.

My standards are much more adaptable and flexible than theirs. I'm also a bit of an adventurer and trailblazer. They would never feel comfortable or safe in the place I call home. Even though, it's a nice quiet and off-the-beaten track street. The bottom line is I'm trying to minimize the cultural shock for them and to help them ease into the transition. This house will be a big deal for my family. Where would you look to meet their criteria if your budget was less than $80,000.00? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Any chance that they'd want a condo? They could climb a rung or two up on the neighborhood ladder that way. Do they know where they'll be working yet (if applicable)?

I think you could add Beechview and Mt. Washington to the list. $80K might be enough to catch a good deal in the nice parts of Brighton Heights or Observatory Hill, too. A place that gets overlooked a lot that's in that price range is Carnegie. Carnegie is really cute, cheap, and decently walkable. It has a bit of a run down vibe in places and they may be tempted to equate that with danger, but I don't that is the case.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Beechview I've heard is a bit sketchy. Observatory Hill and Brighton Heights is near where I live. How is Carnegie? It seems to fit the bill, but I don't know much about it. I greatly appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Beechview I've heard is a bit sketchy. Observatory Hill and Brighton Heights is near where I live. How is Carnegie? It seems to fit the bill, but I don't know much about it. I greatly appreciate your reply. Thank you.
$80K in Beechview would go a long way, they could definitely pick and choose which section of the neighborhood they want. Other than the steep hills and "backwoods" feeling in some nooks and crannies of the neighborhood I don't find it sketchy at all. It's kind of suburban feeling actually.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Carnegie, I just think it is worth considering.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
Might want to check out 639 Minnesota in Greenfield. It is close to the community center and pool. I saw it on Trulia. I have no idea what kind of shape it is in, but they are asking 69

Old 08-21-2012, 04:56 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
I found 4 properties on the multi-list in Oakmont that you might consider, all under $85k. Oakmont is extremely safe and very walkable.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
If they are so educated and so cultured, why can they only afford $80k for a house? Did they donate the rest of their fortune to Oxfam or something? I'm not sure Pittsburgh would be right for them and I doubt they would want to live with the local yinzer slobs in the $80k neighborhoods. They are obviously far too elite for this area and would clearly be bored out of their extremely educated minds within a week.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM

What parts of Beechview would you recommend staying away from?

Wow, you know 639 Minnesota looks great. I do remember seeing it a while back. For some reason it isn't on Zillow but I do see it on Trulia as you mentioned. But is Greenfield truly "Squirrel Hill" for those without "Squirrel Hill" like money? I've only passed through it.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Here is a scenario:

Say you have an adult brother and mother living in the New York City Metropolitan area. They are both sick and tired of renting. Which parts of City of Pittsburgh or Allegheny County at large would you stick them into?

All they need is a small but functional 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house. A driveway, garage or on-street parking would be a must for at least 1 spot. Safety is extremely important as they both live in a very safe suburban environment.

They both are extremely educated and cultured individuals. A walkable area would be a plus but I know that adds a premium to the price. Unfortunately, they can't afford Squirrel Hill and South Side would be a bit too boisterous on the weeknights for their taste. Greenfield is one option but appears to be almost as pricey as Squirrel Hill.

I've been looking into Bethel Park, Brookline, Dormont and now even Millvale. Mind you I have been doing the house hunting since I live in North Side. Which I know is a radically different ball of wax.

My standards are much more adaptable and flexible than theirs. I'm also a bit of an adventurer and trailblazer. They would never feel comfortable or safe in the place I call home. Even though, it's a nice quiet and off-the-beaten track street. The bottom line is I'm trying to minimize the cultural shock for them and to help them ease into the transition. This house will be a big deal for my family. Where would you look to meet their criteria if your budget was less than $80,000.00? Thank you.
Shameless plug:

Troy Hill- high on a plateau overlooking the Allegheny river the neighborhood is primarily residential, quieter and probably cheaper than Millvale with similar housing stock, has easy access to I279/rt 28, is 10 or so minutes from downtown (by bus), is just across the river from the strip district, and has a minimal occurance of crime. If you get a house on the ridge line you'll also have a really nice view like this:

Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Ah, while I like Troy Hill somehow I doubt they would. The problem is there isn't much to do in Troy Hill proper. I think they'd prefer Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill over Troy Hill. Granted, both are further away from downtown but they are in a way closer to the North Hills.

Quote:
If they are so educated and so cultured, why can they only afford $80k for a house? Did they donate the rest of their fortune to Oxfam or something? I'm not sure Pittsburgh would be right for them and I doubt they would want to live with the local yinzer slobs in the $80k neighborhoods. They are obviously far too elite for this area and would clearly be bored out of their extremely educated minds within a week.
I said cultured and educated. I never said monetarily wealthy. You should step up to the plate and give them money! I think that would be fair and just. Especially, in light of your extremely arrogant and ignorant remarks.

To the others, I'd be curious to learn more about Carnegie and Oakmont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh