Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
There's no reason the Highland development can't coexist with venues like the Shadow Lounge. The onus is on the developers to understand why their project is even feasible in that location... why it is a desirable neighborhood for young people now. Harassment isn't the way to handle this.
Great nuanced point, Aaron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Oh yeah, they can definitely coexist. I was just using irishvan's comment as a jumping off point to voice my personal distaste with expensive lofts in emerging neighborhoods, haha. I hate those things. To me, they're what wealthy people use to feel like they're part of a community that they would never be a part of without, like they're own little spaceship, hahaha. I'd just rather they not be there. I guess the same way some people feel about abandoned properties, it brings the area down a bit for me.

I'm definitely one of very few of this particular opinion, though, especially on CD, so I won't beleaguer the boards with it, haha.

It would be amusing if these complaints ended up being from some cooky neighborhood resident, but from reading the article it seems likely that there is an agenda in place. Hopefully, Shadow Lounge isn't caused much more trouble beyond this minor annoyance.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 AM

472 posts, read 626,604 times
Quote:
There's no reason the Highland development can't coexist with venues like the Shadow Lounge. The onus is on the developers to understand why their project is even feasible in that location... why it is a desirable neighborhood for young people now. Harassment isn't the way to handle this.

I love that all the government entities are like what? We don't know anything? Shadow Lounge has never had a problem before?... it's so obviously invalid complaints

Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
This isn't going to sour me on the merits of the Highland project even if it is Walnut, although independently I would still think it was very uncool, and counterproductive, of Walnut. However, it seems to me that is merely speculative at this point.

By the way, there is no way you could fund the Highland project without charging serious rent for the resulting units. So since the practical choice is between the Highland Building as a decaying ruin and the Highland Building as an historic gem and being used, I'll take the latter.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Definitely understandable and reflective of the majority opinion. Personally, I'd rather the former, which is why I mentioned abandoned properties above, haha.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
I am not on board when it destroys the culture of the neighborhood that made it a good neighborhood. Progress is great, but not at the expense of the neighborhood institutions. The mission of all groups operating in East Liberty (ELDI, Eve Picker, VIA, etc) is to keep it weird and artistic throughout all this development. One developer cannot barge in there and take it over however they want. You coexist, not take over. Ace Hotel wouldn't be interested in East Liberty if it were all Walnut Capital condos, and no weirdo music/art venues.

The best approach to be taken here by Walnut would be to work with Justin and chip in money to help him rearrange his space and sound proof it. Everyone wins in that case.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This isn't going to sour me on the merits of the Highland project even if it is Walnut, although independently I would still think it was very uncool, and counterproductive, of Walnut. However, it seems to me that is merely speculative at this point.

By the way, there is no way you could fund the Highland project without charging serious rent for the resulting units. So since the practical choice is between the Highland Building as a decaying ruin and the Highland Building as an historic gem and being used, I'll take the latter.
Agreed on all points.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I am not on board when it destroys the culture of the neighborhood that made it a good neighborhood. Progress is great, but not at the expense of the neighborhood institutions. The mission of all groups operating in East Liberty (ELDI, Eve Picker, VIA, etc) is to keep it weird and artistic throughout all this development. One developer cannot barge in there and take it over however they want. You coexist, not take over. Ace Hotel wouldn't be interested in East Liberty if it were all Walnut Capital condos, and no weirdo music/art venues.

The best approach to be taken here by Walnut would be to work with Justin and chip in money to help him rearrange his space and sound proof it. Everyone wins in that case.

Agreed! or they should just say what their really thinking.. they don't care about contributing to east liberty they only care about taking it over.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

I'm not saying they shouldn't charge serious rent but they should make their buildings apart of the neighborhood. Not just a private apartment building with a private exclusive gym, have storefronts or rental commercial space to add to the street level value and helping other businesses that have paved the way for their success in that area. Plus they got a ton of grant money because that building is a historic gem.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
I am not on board when it destroys the culture of the neighborhood that made it a good neighborhood.
I think to the extent they are actually trying to extinguish neighbors they don't like (and again I think that is purely speculative at this point), I agree.

But in terms of merely developing some elements that may not 100% reinforce the desired branding--I think that is unproblematic. And in fact I think it is likely selling this project short--some people who can pay decent rent are legitimately interested in living in funky neighborhoods as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh