U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Pittsburgh: taxes, get a job, traffic, market, American sedan.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM

322 posts, read 19,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I agree with these dislikes. In Seattle they nearly forced people to recycle by charging more for putting out more garbage. I am having a hard time getting an extra recycle bin here. We have become accustomed to recycling so much that the small bins just don't get it.
I do like that Pittsburgh is leading the way for green buildings though--hopefully recycling is not far away.

And so far I love the Spring, summers and fall here. I am in fear of the winters though!
I never been to Seattle, but really want to go. However, I hear that in Seattle it is the cloudy grey part of the year. Same with Pittsburgh, but it snows (not that much), and the sun peaks through here and there. The fall is great. Notice that we haven't had a cloudy day since like early August. September and October is usually nice. Starting in Late November it will start getting more cloudy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 AM

831 posts, read 675,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
I never been to Seattle, but really want to go. However, I hear that in Seattle it is the cloudy grey part of the year. .
The rainy season (which lasts at least through late spring) is just beginning in Seattle. It really didn't bother me much but I don't miss it either. I was thinking about it as I was enjoying the last gorgeous weekend here. I agree the weather here has been great. The summer here was much cooler than I anticipated. I grew up in southeastern Virginia and hated the hot there. Florida was so much worse. I will take Pittsburgh summers over those anyday!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:54 PM

141 posts, read 432,130 times
Please keep in mind when reading Rona's post that most of those things apply to AMERICA, not Pittsburgh specifically...

such as:

The roads and general infrastructure are pretty poor - and why do they have all the power cables overhead? Ugly, and not very clever when there are so many trees...I actually like that they use utility poles, made for handling that amount of electricity, instead of trees, which tend to blow over and fall apart during ice storms, etc.

Hate not being able to let my dog run free. and I like not being bitten by random dogs, thanks!

Find alcohol selling bizarre. yes, that is weird here...

Love the big parking spaces, hate the big cars.do we have more big cars than anywhere else in America? - not being snotty, its really a question

Hate that huge amounts of tax go on schools when I have no kids!again, not specific to Pgh...

Hate the television. ???

Amazed that words I use are not universal ("I'm off for a fortnight on holiday" got blank looks). I expected the colloquial ones to get that reaction, but this is queen's English! you will find this reaction almost everywhere in America- we aren't that exposed to the Queen's english

Scared by the fact that guns are so easy to buy.

Amazed that venison is so difficult to buy. Much cheaper just to "acquire" it yourself in PA...

Puzzled by the fact that, when they know I'm Scottish, loads of people with American accents instantly tell me they're from Scotland, England or Ireland. They know where their families came from and often can tell you their family motto, but they've never actually been to the place they "come from".Remember that Pgh is a working class city with a low standard of living. Most people here can't afford to travel to Europe. Would I love to? Sure...can I afford it, hell no.

Wish there wasn't so much sugar in everything.Now if you said grease, I would have to agree that Pgh overdoes it. But sugar? No, not specific to Pgh.

Stunned that people here seem still interested in Diana Spencer.

I've even learnt to drive on the wrong side of the road...

Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 PM

491 posts, read 1,000,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghtebbie View Post
[color="Red"]

The roads and general infrastructure are pretty poor - and why do they have all the power cables overhead? Ugly, and not very clever when there are so many trees...I actually like that they use utility poles, made for handling that amount of electricity, instead of trees, which tend to blow over and fall apart during ice storms, etc.
I hope this is a joke and this isn't really what you thought they meant. The alternative is you put the wires UNDERGROUND, not in trees She was saying that the telephone poles retract from the nice view of trees. Not that there are alot of places in the U.S. with underground infrastructure such as this, but it does exist. When was the last time you saw electrical wires on TREES?!?!?!

Quote:

Hate the television. ???
The problem with the television for me, is the fact that the news is pretty much a monopoly. Channel 11 news pretty much has cornered the news market in this city. In contrast, in buffalo, they have 4 different news stations, all with their own news broadcasts.

Also, radio is the same way, almost all of the radio stations in pgh are owned by the same company, clear channel. Where as other cities have a diversified media market, pgh doesn't.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 PM

322 posts, read 19,887 times
clearchannel owes radio stations in almost everycity. Who cares though. Who listens to fm or am radio anymore. Let it die. KILL CLEARCHANNEL. THEY SUCK. THEY SUCK BAD. THEY SUCK!.

sorry for the outburst. I hate clearchannel.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 PM

491 posts, read 1,000,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
clearchannel owes radio stations in almost everycity. Who cares though. Who listens to fm or am radio anymore. Let it die. KILL CLEARCHANNEL. THEY SUCK. THEY SUCK BAD. THEY SUCK!.

sorry for the outburst. I hate clearchannel.
haha yeah, i know they own mostly everything. especially in pittsburgh, where they own almost every station. now in buffalo they don't own a single fm station and only one am station, which really is one of the least listened to.

fyi, i don't listen to the radio either, except for the occasional am talk radio station...

but its still nice to have options

Old 10-06-2007, 04:22 PM

2,964 posts, read 6,619,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Been here since July (arrived 4th and was welcomed by fireworks everywhere).
The roads and general infrastructure are pretty poor - and why do they have all the power cables overhead? Ugly, and not very clever when there are so many trees...
Love the museums and galleries, the free concerts and films in the parks.
Hate not being able to let my dog run free.
Find alcohol selling bizarre.
Disappointed at poor recycling facilities.
Ditto public transport.
Love the big parking spaces, hate the big cars.
Hate that huge amounts of tax go on schools when I have no kids!
Love the fact that complete strangers stop to help when you're looking at a map, trying to read a notice, looking pzzled.
Hate the television.
Love the history, and that people are proud of it.
Amazed by the old fashioned lorries and cars.
Love the fountain going pink!
Hate the dirty streets and sad, falling down buildings.
Love the different areas with different characters.
Amazed that words I use are not universal ("I'm off for a fortnight on holiday" got blank looks). I expected the colloquial ones to get that reaction, but this is queen's English!
Love the trees.
Scared by the fact that guns are so easy to buy.
Amazed that venison is so difficult to buy.
Hate the humidity.
Love the fact that so many people have said "Welcome to Pittsburgh!"
Puzzled by the fact that, when they know I'm Scottish, loads of people with American accents instantly tell me they're from Scotland, England or Ireland. They know where their families came from and often can tell you their family motto, but they've never actually been to the place they "come from".
Love that you can buy such a variety of food stuffs in the shops, particularly the fish.
Wish there wasn't so much sugar in everything.
Stunned that people here seem still interested in Diana Spencer.
Overall - not the best place in the world I've lived, not the worst, we've met some great, friendly, helpful people here (some Pittsburghers, some not) and we really are beginning to feel at home. I've even learnt to drive on the wrong side of the road...
I read English novels for years and couldn't figure out how long a fortnight was. Decided it must be a Four Night or a four day weekend. Years later I found out it was 2 weeks.

Had a co-worker who was eating in a British Pub, and got some messy fingers while eating (If you ever have a young nephew visiting the US don't let him say "Whilst" - he'll get beat up), so she went up to the counter to ask for a napkin. The lewd and lascivious smirking from the counter help stumped her, and when she found out what a napkin was in the UK, mortified her.

In regards to alcohol selling, does Pennsylvania have a state-owned liquor monopoly?

And Pittsburgh actually has public transport so that means it's probably a notch better than most places in the US no matter how old the infrastructure and infrequent the service.

And as another poster said, with guns easy to buy, you've solved your problem finding venison hard to buy.

Thanks to all who've replied. This REALLY is a great way to get to know a place one has never been. Long time residents either become jaded and miss all that is good, or become oblivious to that which is bad.

Thanks again respondants!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM

69,141 posts, read 58,270,444 times
Quote:
And Pittsburgh actually has public transport so that means it's probably a notch better than most places in the US no matter how old the infrastructure and infrequent the service.
Actually, most cities in the US have some sort of transit system at least equal to Pittsburgh's.

Quote:
In regards to alcohol selling, does Pennsylvania have a state-owned liquor monopoly?
Yes, but not beer (the last I knew, anyway).

Last edited by Katiana; 10-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 60,593 times
Just a few quick replies:
A fortnight is abbreviated "fourteen nights" (my reference to Queen's english was tongue-in-cheek - must start using these emoticon things).
Although it seems obvious what the napkin story is about, I have NEVER come across an eating place that didn't understand the word napkin. A diaper in Britain is called a nappie, not a napkin. I suspect your co-worker was the victim of a racist "joke".
What I meant about the "Where you come from" bit was that I would say I came from where I myself was born or where I grew up or where I lived, not where my grandparents were born/grew up/lived.
Re the deer/venison, the British army apparently train snipers by taking them to the Scottish highlands and shooting deer - reduce the deer population (in some places they starve to death cos there are so many of them with no predators any more since we eradicated the bears and wolves), venison on the market, and training on live targets without shooting people.
I'm sure many of the things I mentioned, such as the sugar in everything, are common to other parts of America; that doesn't stop them being irritating to me.
Something I left off earlier - perogie races! Brilliant!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM

7,375 posts, read 10,087,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Just a few quick replies:
A fortnight is abbreviated "fourteen nights" (my reference to Queen's english was tongue-in-cheek - must start using these emoticon things).
Although it seems obvious what the napkin story is about, I have NEVER come across an eating place that didn't understand the word napkin. A diaper in Britain is called a nappie, not a napkin. I suspect your co-worker was the victim of a racist "joke".
What I meant about the "Where you come from" bit was that I would say I came from where I myself was born or where I grew up or where I lived, not where my grandparents were born/grew up/lived.
Re the deer/venison, the British army apparently train snipers by taking them to the Scottish highlands and shooting deer - reduce the deer population (in some places they starve to death cos there are so many of them with no predators any more since we eradicated the bears and wolves), venison on the market, and training on live targets without shooting people.
I'm sure many of the things I mentioned, such as the sugar in everything, are common to other parts of America; that doesn't stop them being irritating to me.
Something I left off earlier - perogie races! Brilliant!
Oh, yes -- we do love our sugar -- it's in everything. And our recipes are geared towards our sweet tooth. And sugar does more than sweeten, often there's a moisture/crisp thing and a texture thing...in other words to accomodate our sweetness factor, other parts of the recipe are jiggled to make it work -- so if you merely cut the sugar in a recipe the recipe very well may fail.

Take a typical shortbread cookie. Shortbread is unsalted cold butter, a dash of salt and a good quality flour. (they sound easy, but good shortbread is hard to make) To make a sugar cookie -- a close cousin, you add more flour, lessen the butter, add sugar, toss in an egg and some vanilla and baking soda. The sugar cookie is less dense, but still stable. I think it's the sugar and the egg, even though you cream the sugar and the butter, the egg is the emulsifier that holds it together.

I do make great chocolate chip cookies and I use less sugar, and add less butter at the same time. If I add less sugar and don't lessen the butter the cookies are dense and greasy... this seems to work. (It's the recipe off the Crisco can, but I use 1/2 cup butter instead of Crisco, don't add the milk, since butter has moisture, and I use 3/4 cup mixed white and brown sugar -- white sugar makes a crisper cookie, brown sugar makes a moist cookie -- I like it more crisp than moist.) (I also use 1 cup King Arthur white whole wheat flour, and 3/4 cup all purpose KA flour)

That's just one example, but you get my drift. And I'm a good cook if you are talking about follower of recipe cooking... the science behind cooking is a different matter, which is why if I was put into a kitchen with 6 ingredients I wouldn't be able to whip something up... but that's also why I love Alton Brown.

And "Lessen the butter"? My Pennsylvania Dutch heritage comes out in strange ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh