Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times

Advertisements

PApisces take a look at this!! I am dumbfounded. I am absolutely speechless. I realize this isn't a make or break issue, but Mr. De Santis has just elevated himself about 100 notches in my book. A progressively minded republican? I'm impressed.

Quote:
"Mark DeSantis intends to make Pittsburgh one of the most open and welcoming cities in America. He is committed to ensuring that economic, educational and social opportunities extend to all of our citizens, regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 AM

457 posts, read 431,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
PApisces take a look at this!! I am dumbfounded. I am absolutely speechless. I realize this isn't a make or break issue, but Mr. De Santis has just elevated himself about 100 notches in my book. A progressively minded republican? I'm impressed.
I will definately take a closer look at him. However, keep in mind that TALK IS CHEAP. :-) This is a great sign and affirmation of what I have always said: NOBODY really thinks, deep down, that gay Marriage and other gay civil rights issues will be the destruction of society as we know it. It was just a very well orchestrated PR campagin by Karl Rove, et al.

An openly gay Dallas City councilman finsished just behind the ultimate winner in Dallas. The new mayor here appointed an openly gay man as his Chief of Staff.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:23 AM

237 posts, read 860,093 times
Actually, DeSantis is a economically conservative, socially progressive Republican.

Kind of old-school, not like the current definition of Republican.

He is far more liberal than the current administration, who has a huge habit of throwing women under the bus. I mean, come on, women? If the current mayor and his cronies can't even accept women, what makes us think he'll be progressive in any way.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
Actually, DeSantis is a economically conservative, socially progressive Republican.

Kind of old-school, not like the current definition of Republican.

He is far more liberal than the current administration, who has a huge habit of throwing women under the bus. I mean, come on, women? If the current mayor and his cronies can't even accept women, what makes us think he'll be progressive in any way.
I kind of wish I could vote.. alas, I am not a resident of Allegheny County.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,906 times
he is a politician, what did you expect?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM

101 posts, read 353,560 times
You have to be a city resident to vote for the mayor. In any case, I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I think everyone is looking at the immature things Ravenstahl did and not any of the good things. I think this from a few months ago does a good job outlining various priorities. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03001/797051-209.stm

The thing I can't decide is whether to give this young guy a chance to improve in all the categories he didn't do well in for the next 2 years or to kick him out now and put this new guy in. I would welcome any tax cut but not at the expense of putting the city in more financial trouble. I highly doubt a minor reduction in income tax would convince people to move out of the suburbs. Will a Republican mayor work well in a Democratic city or will there just be too many disagreements and nothing get accomplished?

Maaz

Old 10-05-2007, 03:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,760 times
Take the time and really look at DeSantis. I mean really do some homework. I'm finding him to be quite refreshing on several fronts. Until I come across something that say's otherwise, I'm thinking he has good potential...

Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM

51 posts, read 49,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Elder, well said. The ongoing Luke capades have caused me to look into the likes of Mark DeSantis. What I have found is a tech savy, small business owner, university professor that has prior federal government research work experience and in sum.... What Pittsburgh needs now !!
What Pittsburgh has needed for a long time, is Republican leadership.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 PM

51 posts, read 49,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I will definately take a closer look at him. However, keep in mind that TALK IS CHEAP. :-) This is a great sign and affirmation of what I have always said: NOBODY really thinks, deep down, that gay Marriage and other gay civil rights issues will be the destruction of society as we know it. It was just a very well orchestrated PR campagin by Karl Rove, et al.

An openly gay Dallas City councilman finsished just behind the ultimate winner in Dallas. The new mayor here appointed an openly gay man as his Chief of Staff.
This is one thing I'm tired of: Politicians playing the sexual orientation card..both sides of the coin. Either way, their stance on that issue will in no way affect their performance in office. It's just a way for them to attract more voters. Regardless of whether or not they're a republican or democrat, too many politicians will use this issue..and take the appropriate stance on it, depending on the predominant opinion of the people who will be voting. It's been a popular political tool lately, and in the end it really doesn't matter what the candidate really believes..because we all know it's just hot air from a stuffed suit.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ci View Post
This is one thing I'm tired of: Politicians playing the sexual orientation card..both sides of the coin. Either way, their stance on that issue will in no way affect their performance in office. It's just a way for them to attract more voters. Regardless of whether or not they're a republican or democrat, too many politicians will use this issue..and take the appropriate stance on it, depending on the predominant opinion of the people who will be voting. It's been a popular political tool lately, and in the end it really doesn't matter what the candidate really believes..because we all know it's just hot air from a stuffed suit.
But the predominant opinion of the people voting in Pittsburgh isn't sexual orientation.

As a result, his claim is pretty much an indication he's not just doing it to attract more voters.

Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh