U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM

570 posts, read 1,295,756 times

Advertisements

One of the great things about Pittsburgh is the varying art and cultural possibilities that the city has to offer. A relative newcomer to the performing art's scene is a small production house based downtown on Liberty Avenue in a former roman style adult bath house. The productions tend to be very interactive, housed in a less then 200 seat cozy performance space with live music at each performance. A small bar offers beer,wine and soft drinks following the show. Performers tend to mingle with the audiance following the shows which is very cool.
Currently Bricolage is perfoming STRATA. Simply put STRATA is the most unusual production I have ever seen in Pittsburgh. It's basically requiring you the audiance to role play in each one of it's mini skits that are based in a seperate structure downtown. The overall idea being that you have signed up to go through a series of 'sessions' that will cleanse your mind and soul and set you on a new path in life. The skits staged in seperate rooms on several floors of this vacant building downtown are well produced. If you go with another person chances are you two will be split up at some point and experience totally different sessions. Some of the sessions are more physical then others. Some may find some of the sessions to be upsetting or a challenege.
As a production goes, Strata is unlike any other I have seen. I'm sure Bricolage will continue to offer productions unlike any other around.
p.s. Bricolage has a fall and winter production called 'Midnight Radio' that involves live broadcast performance over WYEP, live music and interactive shows much like old time live radio performance broadcast's.

stratapittsburgh.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6z_y7u1ZiY

Last edited by RockLobster; 08-23-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM

733 posts, read 882,719 times
I'm going tomorrow night and very excited. Even if the execution turns out to be somewhat poor, I'm enthusiastic about the intent and want to encourage more forward thinking, unique productions of this type.

I'm actually having a hard time waiting, haha. I really want to check this thing out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6z_y7u1ZiY

Last edited by CaptainPittsburgh; 08-23-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM

20,419 posts, read 40,874,141 times
I really want to go but can't find someone to share the experience with.... DH thought it too weird when I showed him the website last week.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,534,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
I'm going tomorrow night and very excited. Even if the execution turns out to be somewhat poor, I'm enthusiastic about the intent and want to encourage more forward thinking, unique productions of this type.

I'm actually having a hard time waiting, haha. I really want to check this thing out:

Welcome to STRATA Pittsburgh - YouTube
if you read this, let us know how it went.

STRATA ends on 9/1 (soon). i might shoot for friday night, if it sounds worth it ($60 a person!).

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM

733 posts, read 882,719 times
Anyone who is interested in interesting things, go to this! There's only one week left; don't miss it!

STRATA was a total blast, and I really can't recommend it enough. This is a really special type of theater event, and I'm certain there are very few experiences like this going out there in the great, wide world. I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail, but you go through almost the entire experience alone, and it's basically a sequence of wonderfully imaginative and engaging...uh, scenarios, haha. Everything is quite abstract and unusual, so in many ways it feels as though you are walking through a dream, perhaps one of Terry Gilliam's dreams.

I'm serious, if you like anything interesting, at all, you should probably give this a shot. One of the cast told me they have a bunch of tickets left for this weekend since it's Labor Day, so go buy some. Something like this should sell out every single night:

STRATA

Edit: I should add that if you're a conservative person, some of the content may challenge/upset you.

Double Edit: I went with PittsburghLlama. I'll make her post in here for a second perspective.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:00 AM

89 posts, read 120,377 times
Ohmygoodness, this was one of the most spectacular, innovative and fun experiences I've had in a very, very long time.

There is honestly nothing that I can compare it to, but I wish I could recommend it to everyone. The Captain described it as well as it can be described without giving away too much information, so I won't try to do that.

I highly recommend not researching it, or looking for clues as to what is involved. The element of surprise really made the whole thing very nice for me. I really enjoyed not knowing what was going to be around the next corner. Every moment left me wondering what would happen next and every time what happened next had ended, I wanted more! Then, it was over . There wasn't a dull moment, and not a second left me bored or wondering when the experience would end.

Even though the element of surprise was a large factor in the enjoyment of the experience, I still plan to go again. No experience is the same, so I'm aching to see what else they have up their sleeves (They also give you a coupon for $20 off if you'd like to make a 2nd attempt at iconsciousness). I've already begged at least 3 people to check it out since arriving at work, haha. Do this! Please!!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM

472 posts, read 566,659 times
This was fun! I recommend it!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,534,552 times
im stoked - thanks for the feedback...i guess! i still dont know exactly who you are expected 'to do' during this adventure.

i may have an out of town visitor this weekend and will try to get there saturday, 9/1!

any info on the return of Strata to pgh this autumn or winter?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM

89 posts, read 120,377 times
It would be amazing if it came back, but I haven't heard anything in that regard. The creators are based in Pittsburgh, so if this specific show doesn't come back, I'm sure they'll have something similar (hopefully!!!).

You should buy your tickets asap. I checked yesterday, and they were running quite low on the day that I wanted (only 6 tickets were left for Friday). Unsure about Saturday, but I feel it might sell out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: