Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You need to take a drive one day...I've been all over Washington County and there is tons of development. Marcellus shale is just a side note. There are new condos, townhomes, and housing plans all around the Meadowlands, Southpointe, Strabane..list is endless. They just up a new highrise in one of the more rural parts of Washington County on a road you have probably never even been on.
Have you been to Donora, Charleroi, Monongahela, Cokesburg, Roscoe, Elco, Coal Center, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
People who want but can't find an apartment they can afford in the City will in fact necessarily look elsewhere, but I am not sure many of them are specifically looking at Washington County, which may have its own, mostly separate, market.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
How do you know why people move? As someone researching apartments the cost of the rent, and the availability is extremely important. The fact is Pittsburgh does have an apartment problem and that directly effects population. Which easily explains about 30 threads that discuss both subjects. The vast majority of people don't make enough to live in a high end apartment so it's a moot point. I find it hard to believe a real estate company like Forest City can only make money off of high end apartment complexes.
If you want to live in a city (or have a close commute), you find a way, even if it means you live in a ratty subdivided unit in an old building rather than getting a nice apartment in a newish complex further out. Look at how people willingly live in South Oakland and pay top dollar for it.

I don't think I've seen one relocation thread here, honestly, that involved someone looking for cheap rent and weighing between inside and outside the city without other issues like children also coming into it. People either tend to like cities or not, and many of the people who like cities, but don't end up relocating here, probably end up in places like Dormont, Edgewood, or other places which might as well be in the city.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you want to live in a city (or have a close commute), you find a way, even if it means you live in a ratty subdivided unit in an old building rather than getting a nice apartment in a newish complex further out. Look at how people willingly live in South Oakland and pay top dollar for it.
(Raises hand). I'm working two jobs and have a roommate in order to live in this city, and I couldn't be happier. I'd take this lifestyle ANYDAY over my former life in Northern Virginia.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That's okay. Why do we need more housing options when you could just pay $100,000+ for a hideous rowhome in Bloomfield or $700/month for an apartment in Polish Hill that doesn't even have working smoke detectors? Let's just continue to let the city's housing crisis grow into a bubble!
I'm not sure what to think about the video. The underlying economics of the issue is certainly a complex analysis. Any attempt for someone like me to sort it out would be purely intuitive.

However, your anecdote about the 100k rowhouse/700 apt is spot on about this area. I was just talking to a family member today about how my search for a home has become a nightmare. I'm close to giving up. The inventory of available homes in my price range is abysmal -suitable homes that is. I look on the Alleg Co. Prop Assessment site and have been stunned at how many homes in this area are on the books as having sold for a buck. That means that there is a very large percentage of legacy housing out there. There is also a lot of housing out there that simply needs to be demo'd. This area is stocked with a lot of shappy row houses and wall-to-wall three story "shacks" with on-street parking -that also is attributable to a different sort of legacy -owing to the milltowns and the land speculators of the 1800's. We have the wealthy landowners who's surnames are stamped all over this area to thank, in part, for that. I just finished reading a biography of one of the most prominent ones.

And some people seem to regard rising rents, just like rising housing prices as an good ecomonic indicator. I totally disagree with that kind of thinking. What little development there is in rental properties, none if it is accessible to somone who wants to have any reasonable amount of discretionary income left over after paying the rent.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM

It is good that demand for apartments in the core area is strong. It is bad that supply isn't keeping up.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I don't think I've seen one relocation thread here, honestly, that involved someone looking for cheap rent and weighing between inside and outside the city without other issues like children also coming into it. People either tend to like cities or not, and many of the people who like cities, but don't end up relocating here, probably end up in places like Dormont, Edgewood, or other places which might as well be in the city.
You're talking about demand which isn't the main crux of the discussion...we've already established that the demand is there. The question is why wouldn't supply catch up with demand since it's logical. Noone said anything about cheap rent but I think most will agree high end is a small market. Real estate companies are building thousands and thousands of new units in Seattle right now. In the end it looks like Pittsburgh is becoming more like Columbus with a lot of urban sprawl. Edit: I agree with one of the previous posters I think about 2 years from now someone at a real estate company is going to get axed for missing a huge opportunity.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 09-05-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Even if the high end rent market is small, it still has not been fully tapped yet as evidenced by all of the new market-rate developments in the urban core. I don't blame developers for chasing the most lucrative markets. It's possible that even after the high end market is tapped out that we still won't see middle and lower end development in the urban core, due to the cost of land and renovation/building new.

I think much of the non-high end growth in the urban core will have to come from either expanding the core (still in the city, but outside of the east end), or from large groups of individuals buying vacant properties or slumlord properties in the non-desirable east end neighborhoods. It's a much different game than it was 10 years ago.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
the area - city or otherwise is lacking in newer housing stock, whether it be rental or not

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 PM

The apartment situation is attracting investor attention:

Pittsburgh

I find this sentiment a bit frustrating:

Quote:
“One problem in Pittsburgh is it does not have enough (apartment) product for investors who normally like apartments that are less than 10 years old and have from 200 to 300 units,” said Greg Willett, vice president of MPF Research, a division of RealPage Inc., an apartment research firm in Dallas. . . . Many developers are interested in building apartments in the Pittsburgh region, but often can’t find adequate land, he said.
The North Shore, the Strip, the Lower Hill, Station Square, even Downtown itself . . . it seems to me like there are a lot of large parcels in ideal locations for new apartments, so what's the hold up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh