Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times

Advertisements

In many of the Pittsburgh burbs the largest minority group is Asian and I am also wondering if anyone has witnessed any racism related to this group?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
From what I have seen so far in this thread it appears that racism in the Pittsburgh area seems to be very limited. This was really the point of this thread, to gauge how many incidents have occurred and where they are occurring. After reading through many of the posts, it appears that the Brentwood area seems to have a reputation for racism and this was not something I really knew before reading into the subject more and seeing the previous thread posted about Brentwood and racism. Additionally, another poster above mentioned another racist act in the Robinson area and this was surprising to me, but it appears that this may be another problem area. The debate regarding the usage of the Confederate Flag has been interesting also, but I have to say I still believe flying it is an act of racism regardless of the person's understanding of Civil War history. Similar to the law, ignorance is not bliss and the people flying the flag in western PA are not government detractors or history buffs, they are racists.
So because one guy in the Mall at Robinson has an infinite ratio of balls to brains and utters a slur in public, that indicts all 13,354 people who live in the township? That's quite a generalization there. Besides, what if the idiot wasn't even from Robinson in the first place? What if he was from Weirton or East Liverpool? Lots of people from east-central Ohio and the West Virginia panhandle go to Robinson to shop. Remember last year when a couple of (NHL) Flyers fans jumped a Rangers fan in front of a cheesesteak joint in Philadelphia? Remember how all sorts of sports fans trashed the entire city for the behavior of those two punks? Turns out they were from out in the sticks of New Jersey. Remember the stupid girl campaigning for John McCain in 2008 who claimed to have been beaten by a Barack Obama supporter in Bloomfield? She was from Texas. It's unfortunate that some people are still hateful and ignorant enough to use slurs in public, but you cannot make assumptions about an entire area based on what one jackass does in a public place.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So because one guy in the Mall at Robinson has an infinite ratio of balls to brains and utters a slur in public, that indicts all 13,354 people who live in the township? That's quite a generalization there. Besides, what if the idiot wasn't even from Robinson in the first place? What if he was from Weirton or East Liverpool? Lots of people from east-central Ohio and the West Virginia panhandle go to Robinson to shop. Remember last year when a couple of (NHL) Flyers fans jumped a Rangers fan in front of a cheesesteak joint in Philadelphia? Remember how all sorts of sports fans trashed the entire city for the behavior of those two punks? Turns out they were from out in the sticks of New Jersey. Remember the stupid girl campaigning for John McCain in 2008 who claimed to have been beaten by a Barack Obama supporter in Bloomfield? She was from Texas. It's unfortunate that some people are still hateful and ignorant enough to use slurs in public, but you cannot make assumptions about an entire area based on what one jackass does in a public place.
Agreed. I live in the Robinson area, and most of the stupidity I see here is from some out-of-town rednecks with WV or OH plates. Like you mentioned, it is a popular destination for those living in small towns in bordering states. It makes for some interesting sites though. Like the guy I saw in the Giant Eagle Market District with a mullet, wearing full hunting gear, wandering around amongst the shopping soccer moms.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Agreed. I live in the Robinson area, and most of the stupidity I see here is from some out-of-town rednecks with WV or OH plates. Like you mentioned, it is a popular destination for those living in small towns in bordering states. It makes for some interesting sites though. Like the guy I saw in the Giant Eagle Market District with a mullet, wearing full hunting gear, wandering around amongst the shopping soccer moms.
That Market District is awesome, by the way. It's gotten rave reviews on Yelp from people all over the country.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Like the guy I saw in the Giant Eagle Market District with a mullet
I forgot about mullets.

Maybe they're becoming popular again.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This is a good point that Robinson is a gathering place for many people from the tri-state area and I don't want to definitely say the place is racist as a whole. I think it is just good for posters to be informed of some of these incidents, especially if they are unreported to police or not mentioned on the news/in the paper.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
This is a good point that Robinson is a gathering place for many people from the tri-state area and I don't want to definitely say the place is racist as a whole. I think it is just good for posters to be informed of some of these incidents, especially if they are unreported to police or not mentioned on the news/in the paper.
Well awe shucks, I once saw a group of neo-nazis in NYC, that city is just racist as can be I guess

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Quote:
In many of the Pittsburgh burbs the largest minority group is Asian and I am also wondering if anyone has witnessed any racism related to this group?
I get the feeling that there is grasping at straws here. There are a lot of people who live around here, and bound to be just as many different attitudes, but there are no hotbeds of organized or even semi-organized racism (maybe some relatively mild prejudices, but that is hardly uncommon anywhere in the U.S. - the earlier discussion about the Civil War, slavery, and its cultural legacy said enough about that story) - including Brentwood, which for some reason seems to always be cited here as a prime example of a racist community. I can't say how many times I've been to the Giant Eagle there at Brownsville and 51 and seen Blacks out shopping without a care. Asians? Didn't a popular one run for County Executive last year? Ha - maybe there is some resentment amongst po' white folk because so many of them freely emigrated here as highly educated professionals (rather than aboard a slave ship) and make the loot they dream about. Hispanics? I see dozens of them mingling along Brookline Blvd. on the weekends eating tacos, along with white firemen outside their station - who are, incidentally, stationed directly between Las Palmas and a Lebanese grocer that sells shwarma on the sidewalk. Give it a rest!

I'm wondering how many folks around the 'burbs are biased against extraterrestrials? Given the number of galaxies and stars within the universe some are bound to exist - or to have existed - and I'd like to know if people have witnessed any outspoken sentiments against them, such as, "we'll kick E.T.'s ass", or "those ****ers don't exist, but if they did we'd kick their asses".

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Roughly 70% of posts here have nothing to do with Pittsburgh. I'm closing this thread before some of you get too angry.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh