Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,779,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
I love Beto's. I don't care what anyone else thinks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 AM

424 posts, read 626,743 times
Sir Pizza in McCandless and Wexford. They don't deliver, though.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,550,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
"The pizza I like is better than the pizza you like."

- every pizza thread in history
LOL Perfect!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,627,563 times
napoli is probably my favorite squirrel hill pizza. they have the most flavorful, chewy crust and that is my favorite part. i don't get cheese on my pizza so for me, obviously it's about crust and sauce. i love the hoagies at spak brothers but their pizza doesn't do it for me at ALL.

i am just not a fan of pittsburgh pizza. new haven and nyc pizza have my heart. i have tried pizza places here that are supposed to be new york or new haven (neapolitan) style but they didn't pull it off. i will keep trying though!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 AM

429 posts, read 651,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
napoli is probably my favorite squirrel hill pizza. they have the most flavorful, chewy crust and that is my favorite part. i don't get cheese on my pizza so for me, obviously it's about crust and sauce. i love the hoagies at spak brothers but their pizza doesn't do it for me at ALL.

i am just not a fan of pittsburgh pizza. new haven and nyc pizza have my heart. i have tried pizza places here that are supposed to be new york or new haven (neapolitan) style but they didn't pull it off. i will keep trying though!
This is a reason that pizza tastes are so different and everybody must function on complete different taste buds. I known people who think Napoli was the worst, yet I always liked them.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,348,114 times
I like the one that was like a block and a half from my apartment with the nice Yinzer lady who hooked me up with free Pineapple topping.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,779,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

Now hoagies are a whole different story. I'll take an Italian hoagie done in Pittsburgh, over those from any other city, including NYC. Most other places don't bake their hoagies. Baked hoagies are 1,000 times better than unbaked. Grilled isn't quite as good as baked, but still far better than unbaked.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Raw dough?
Lots of pizza places in Pittsburgh have a layer of raw dough because the pizza maker doesn't cook it long enough. Mineos is one of those places that people who like the raw dough layer congregate. I don't think I ever had a raw dough pizza in NYC for example. Sadly I think it might be a Pittsburgh thing. I just always order pizzas well done. I have to do that at Pizza Sola. That used to be a great NY slice, but the grew and have no consistency at all. Usually it is raw, never know how much toppings, dough overworked and more. I need to try Fiori's. Maybe that will be good, but I am not counting on it. Pittsburgh isn't a pizza town.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,679,687 times
In my experience, I've found Fiori's to be just another greasy, floppy slice of pizza with too much cheese and unremarkable sauce. Slice on Broadway is my favorite. Their pizza has awesome sauce (made from San Marzanos and fresh herbs), the right amount of cheese, and a good semi-crispy crust cooked in a deck oven, not Quizno's-style toaster.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,810,840 times
I think Fiori's has a lot of good qualities... but I can't stand the overly sweet sauce.

Tried a slice at Slice on Broadway... didn't care for it at all... I guess I just don't like "critically acclaimed" pizza. I don't like cracker-crisp paper-thin crusts... but I don't like overly doughy either.

I honestly don't eat much pizza anymore... but I like Giorgio's in Allegheny West and Pizza Italia in Bloomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh