Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM

377 posts, read 652,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisnichole11 View Post
Thanks a bunch! That's actually really helpful because it's much closer to the school my husband will be attending rather than being on the other side of the city. I will definitely have to check out the area. Are you familiar with local hospitals? Medical clinics? For a job for myself.
I am actually. If you were to look in the North Hills area Passavant Hospital is right there. They are under the UPMC umbrella. On Mcknight Road there are a bunch of various medical offices. The are two urgent care clinics as well. Children's Hospital has a branch of offices/outpatient surgery in Wexford. Bellevue which is close to Ross Township (10 minute drive) has Suburban General Hospital--they are under the West Penn Allegheny Hospital umbrella. Those are the two very close hospitals. Of course there is also AGH in the North Side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM

11 posts, read 15,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
I am actually. If you were to look in the North Hills area Passavant Hospital is right there. They are under the UPMC umbrella. On Mcknight Road there are a bunch of various medical offices. The are two urgent care clinics as well. Children's Hospital has a branch of offices/outpatient surgery in Wexford. Bellevue which is close to Ross Township (10 minute drive) has Suburban General Hospital--they are under the West Penn Allegheny Hospital umbrella. Those are the two very close hospitals. Of course there is also AGH in the North Side.

That's excellent. Thank you so much!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Murrysville, Export, and Delmont are all close to Monroeville and have much better schools. I would check these areas out also if you are interested in the eastern Pittsburgh suburbs.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
I don;t live in Morroeville but I have good friends who do. The commute at rush hours thru the tunnel is a nighmare. Coming back in the evening, if there's a game is double nightmare.
My firend had a son in high school. She said that school was so and so. Actually she tutored him privateley to be able to get into college. But also she told me there are gangs, drugs etc. I know these are everywhere (more even in affluent districts), but still, if you are super protective of your daughter I'd move into a more conservative neigbourhood and make sure I know who her friends are.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 15,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I don;t live in Morroeville but I have good friends who do. The commute at rush hours thru the tunnel is a nighmare. Coming back in the evening, if there's a game is double nightmare.
My firend had a son in high school. She said that school was so and so. Actually she tutored him privateley to be able to get into college. But also she told me there are gangs, drugs etc. I know these are everywhere (more even in affluent districts), but still, if you are super protective of your daughter I'd move into a more conservative neigbourhood and make sure I know who her friends are.
Thanks for the tip! Going off the conversation I was having with another person, I have decided to keep in the North/West area of Pittsburgh as I'm assuming it is the safest areas around Pittsburgh that is not a tough commute. Is this correct? I plan on posting another thread asking advice about the North/West region.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
Going through a lot of these threads lately, and there are at least two of them where people must live in a "safe" area. I assume they are out of town and looking for homes. Rest assured, almost any place you choose in metro Pittsburgh will be "safe." We don't have wild marauders roaming the streets preying on innocent victims. As long as you're not going up dark alleys or mall parking lots at 2 am looking for or dealing drugs, your chances of getting killed are pretty slim.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Going through a lot of these threads lately, and there are at least two of them where people must live in a "safe" area. I assume they are out of town and looking for homes. Rest assured, almost any place you choose in metro Pittsburgh will be "safe." We don't have wild marauders roaming the streets preying on innocent victims. As long as you're not going up dark alleys or mall parking lots at 2 am looking for or dealing drugs, your chances of getting killed are pretty slim.
Agreed. They are actually finding corpses laying in the streets and vacant lots in certain parts of the metro region this summer, but these areas are not likely to ever be on newcomers' list of possible house purchases.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM

429 posts, read 654,240 times
Safety means different things to different people. My parents live in a "safe" housing plan far from anything at all a state highway. Yet every year there are many deaths from vehicular accidents on this road typically involving one or a combination of speed, kids, and alcohol. From my time of growing up there I actually known three people from the neighborhood lose a family member do to deaths on this road. There is also a girl I went to high school with racing another kid over 100 MPH taking another person's life on a highway the intersects this road.

I feel much safer driving in the city where there is mostly just fender benders. My parents thought there was too much crime in the city. I told them I had a higher chance of wrecking on a crazy exurban Pittsburgh highway or back road then running into crime in the east end.

A lot of it deals with the media too. Although they ignore when crazy things happen in their neighborhood. I saw the idiots on the FB page tear apart the south side when a crime was reported there. Yet something like the "Greensburg 6" happens in Greensburg a nice small city they look the other way.

But anyways. I understand the city isn't for anybody, and not going after the OP. Yet I agree with Geo as well that people tend to use "Safe" that can mean many different things to different people.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 PM

270 posts, read 340,973 times
Consdering the poster is coming from L.A., their idea of what is considered safe, good schools, bad traffic, and affordable may be different than that of most Pittsburghers.

In general:

1) Schools here are better than L.A. public schools. Pick your neighborhood wisely and you can end up with schools that rival the better private schools in the L.A. area.

2) You can get a house for $200K here that would cost $600K in L.A. (and yes that is after the real estate deflation in SoCal, before I would have said $700K in L.A.), although with the high property taxes here, a $200K house is more expensive than it seems at first.

3) There are only a few places here where traffic rivals that of L.A., but one of those places is probably the Squirrel Hill tunnel.

4) You're unlikely to encounter gang activity here unless you end up in one of the really bad neighborhoods. Crime does not tend to spill over into the better areas the way it does in SoCal. Example: I lived in an upper middle class L.A suburb where neighbors routinely called the cops to roust up people buying drugs, prostitutes turning tricks, etc. (they would pull their cars off the main road and park in one of the quiet residential streets to do this stuff). I can't even remotely imagine that happening in the Pgh suburb where I now live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh