Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
In Allegheny county it is 49.5% Roman Catholic, which is something that one would not find in Baptist dominated Appalachia
That's downright Bostonian!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Many consider DC, and even Baltimore, the "south". When my family moved to Frederick, MD, we noticed people talked with a faintly southern accent. After living there a while, no one really noticed it any more. I'm not sure what cultural differences you see in Pgh (compared to Bos-Wash). Bethlehem, PA and Baltimore are manufacturing cities.

Yes there is that. Baltimore has always been known for some southern flavor as it is on the border region just like Pitt is bordering the Midwest, and Buffalo borders Canada, and the Toronto sphere of influence.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
That's downright Bostonian!
No surprise in a city with a large Italian, and Eastern European population. Of course I would guess the biggest contingent of Catholics are Irish, as Pittsburgh has a huge Irish population. Could be some German Catholics in the mix as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugo View Post
Raymond Gastil put Pittsburgh in a "Pennsylvanian" cultural region that stretches from Western PA to New Jersey and is subdivided into western, central, core, and coastal fringe districts.
(Gastil cultural regions)

One would think that the Yinzers' cornfed wholesomeness would have landed them in the Midwest cultural region, but it didn't quite work out that way.
Cornfed? Since when is Pittsburgh known for corn?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I would hope that he's being facetious.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Fervor for college sports? Support for college sports is decidedly lukewarm in Pittsburgh. Is the city Steelers crazy? Yeah, but being the most successful team in the most popular sport for 40 years will do that. Boston seems pretty nuts for the Red Sox, to the point where New Englanders poured into Pittsburgh last summer to watch their team. Let's not even talk about sports mad Philly.
Maybe if the Dukes would stop firing good head coaches...

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Fervor for college sports? Support for college sports is decidedly lukewarm in Pittsburgh. Is the city Steelers crazy? Yeah, but being the most successful team in the most popular sport for 40 years will do that. Boston seems pretty nuts for the Red Sox, to the point where New Englanders poured into Pittsburgh last summer to watch their team. Let's not even talk about sports mad Philly.
Don't even start me on the Yankees or Mark Sanchez and the jets (one class that I was taking contained mostly people from northern NJ, they seemed as provincial as can be with the only 2 things they ever talked about was Sanchez and going to a bar on Long Island.) So sports fanaticism exists pretty much everywhere (except MAYBE Seattle where I don't see too much)and people can act provincial even living in the most cosmopolitan city in the US, I am 100% positive that nobody would consider NYC midwestern.
I do consider Pittsburgh having some differences from the east coast metros, but I would say that we are closer to cities like Boston than we are Kansas City

Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
Don't even start me on the Yankees or Mark Sanchez and the jets (one class that I was taking contained mostly people from northern NJ, they seemed as provincial as can be with the only 2 things they ever talked about was Sanchez and going to a bar on Long Island.) So sports fanaticism exists pretty much everywhere (except MAYBE Seattle where I don't see too much)and people can act provincial even living in the most cosmopolitan city in the US, I am 100% positive that nobody would consider NYC midwestern.
I do consider Pittsburgh having some differences from the east coast metros, but I would say that we are closer to cities like Boston than we are Kansas City
Seattle is known for the "12th Man"... and is nuts for their MLS team.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I didn't get that either. That's a phrase usually used to describe Nebraskans. There is no row-crop farming in PA that I know of, except the Amish tobacco farms.

Quote:
Are you referring to sports or something else when you say that last? I think they're pretty fanatic in KC. What is the "difference" between people in Boston, Pittsburgh, and KC?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Are you referring to sports or something else when you say that last? I think they're pretty fanatic in KC. What is the "difference" between people in Boston, Pittsburgh, and KC?
I don't think he meant sportswise. I think he meant that overall, Pittsburgh is more like Boston, than like KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh