Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM

97 posts, read 164,586 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm currently seeking a dog friendly hiking trail within an hour of the city. Specifically, I'd prefer one with a VERY limited biking population. Why? Because my dog hates bikes and I wouldn't want to put him or a biker in danger while being in the limited space of a trail.

So, if anyone knows of a trail less frequented by bikes (either due to terrain or just plain old location) please let me know.

Me and my Catahoula thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,273,461 times
While I agree with your desire to hike in a bike-free area, you should be able to train your dog to accept and ignore bikes.

I recommend checking out McConnells Mill and Raccoon Creek State Park. The best hiking is in the Laurel Highlands but it's more than an hour away.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM

97 posts, read 164,586 times
I agree, I would love for my dog to accept and ignore bikes. In fact after hundreds of dollars with trainers and more hours than I can count practicing the most basic of focus drills, I'm out of options save to avoid two-wheeled vehicles when I'm with my dog. I love to bike, and would love to bike with my pup; however, after three years, I've come to accept some things as inevitable. (If you do have constructive advice and experience with the issue, feel free to PM me, I'm always welcoming to advice, solicitied or otherwise.)

I'll take a look at the Laurels, it might be worth the trip if it gets my cattle dog some much deserved trail time.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
While I agree with your desire to hike in a bike-free area, you should be able to train your dog to accept and ignore bikes.

I recommend checking out McConnells Mill and Raccoon Creek State Park. The best hiking is in the Laurel Highlands but it's more than an hour away.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,618,635 times
it's not really hiking trails, more like leisurely strolling on a flat path trails, but sewickley heights borough park is a nice place to walk around, with wooded trails and open meadows, and dogs are allowed to be off leash in the entire park. i'm not sure whether or not bikes are allowed on the trails but i've never seen any.

edit: it looks like bikes are allowed but you might want to check it out sans dog and see how many bikers there really are.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,273,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlewis View Post
I agree, I would love for my dog to accept and ignore bikes. In fact after hundreds of dollars with trainers and more hours than I can count practicing the most basic of focus drills, I'm out of options save to avoid two-wheeled vehicles when I'm with my dog. I love to bike, and would love to bike with my pup; however, after three years, I've come to accept some things as inevitable. (If you do have constructive advice and experience with the issue, feel free to PM me, I'm always welcoming to advice, solicitied or otherwise.)
I understand this. There are some dogs who are more challenging.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM

seriously, can't the people in this thread (except for ex-burgher) answer a simple question without bringing up unrelated pet issues (no pun intended!) and/or picking the asker apart?

this person knows their dog. no one else here does. and training a dog to stop being afraid of something isn't something that happens instantly or can even happen for every dog, despite what heavily edited tv shows might lead you to believe.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,495,320 times
My guess is, he's herding the bikers:

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
These dogs are outstanding bay dogs, or tracking and hunting dogs, used for hunting feral pigs, squirrel, deer, raccoon, mountain lion, and black bear. They often track silently and only begin to make their distinctive baying bark, eye to eye with the prey, once it is stopped, and hold it in position without touching the animal; using only posture, eyecontact, and lateral shifts.

...They are used primarily for herding cattle, and pigs by a method of antagonizing and intimidation of herd animals as opposed to the method of all day boundary patrol and restricting the animals being herded from entering or leaving the designated area.
Catahoula Cur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,629,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
seriously, can't the people in this thread (except for ex-burgher) answer a simple question without bringing up unrelated pet issues (no pun intended!) and/or picking the asker apart?

this person knows their dog. no one else here does. and training a dog to stop being afraid of something isn't something that happens instantly or can even happen for every dog, despite what heavily edited tv shows might lead you to believe.
Well said. To the OP, Hartwood Acress has some good trails. They do have bycylists (mountain bikers) but it is not overrun with folks biking. Overall I see it as a little known/ used park in part due to huge popularity of North Park We bike and walk there regularly ( although sadly not in 10 months due to me recouping from hip surgery) and it is a great place. The also have a very large dog park. You could go without your dog to see if it would too much for your dog.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Nine Mile Run Trail/Duck Hollow Trail tends not to have many bikes, since it is sorta a trail dead end.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 AM

oh at the moment, the hazelwood bike trail (from the hot metal bridge to the hazelwood business district) seems to never be used by bikes either. it's also extremely wide so even if you encounter a bike, you can give it a wide berth. i rode the whole trail to hazelwood and back on a beautiful weekend day during prime biking time when the eliza furnace trail was packed and spent a lot of time taking detours and looking at stuff and never saw another bike.

it's not very shady though, and it's interesting if you like looking at old crumbling industrial stuff and some nice river views, but it's not exactly a breathtaking nature trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh