Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,414 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Just wondered if any current/past residents could share their experiences at Emerald Gardens in Fairywood?

I have read all of the previous threads, but they are mostly from 2007-2009. Just wanted an updated opinion!!!

Safe? Quiet? Any major complaints? Is maintenance better?

If you had to arrive home around midnight-1am from work some nights to the Emerald Gardens community (drive from 60/Steubenville Pike to Ingram Ave to W. Prospect Ave), would this be too unsafe?

I'm thinking about moving there soon with my husband but was just worried about the past history of the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 04:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
IMO Emerald Gardens is safe... Although their apartment buildings are probably trash; they were built in the time of Urban Renewal and their purpose was to house the majority black population of Westgate Village, and so the buildings probably have thin walls/sweeky floors/etc... Other than that, Emerald Gardens is probably fine.
Avoid the rest of Fairywood west of the park at night, that area is claimed by the Down Low Goonies set of the Westside Convicts and sometimes jitneys drivers get jacked at night.
*never a resident

Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
i was never a resident, either. i think you should look around a bit. i do not have a favorable opinion of that apartment complex, and fairywood in general. i would never even consider it.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i was never a resident, either. i think you should look around a bit. i do not have a favorable opinion of that apartment complex, and fairywood in general. i would never even consider it.
It might have been a one-year blip, but in 2010 (the crime data available in PGH SNAP), Fairywood had one of the lowest crime rates in the city.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:19 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
IMO Emerald Gardens is safe... Although their apartment buildings are probably trash; they were built in the time of Urban Renewal and their purpose was to house the majority black population of Westgate Village, and so the buildings probably have thin walls/sweeky floors/etc... Other than that, Emerald Gardens is probably fine.
Avoid the rest of Fairywood west of the park at night, that area is claimed by the Down Low Goonies set of the Westside Convicts and sometimes jitneys drivers get jacked at night.
*never a resident
Actually, that's not true. Westgate was all white when it opened. It became predominantly black because white tenants got tired of the crime spilling over from Broadhead. Working class blacks weren't exactly in a hurry to live there either, so the owners opened it up to Section 8 tenants, making it the equivalent of a housing project, though it remained a private development.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
[quote]Actually, that's not true. Westgate was all white when it opened. It became predominantly black because white tenants got tired of the crime spilling over from Broadhead. Working class blacks weren't exactly in a hurry to live there either, so the owners opened it up to Section 8 tenants, making it the equivalent of a housing project, though it remained a private development.[quote]
- Wow I stand corrected... OP nm what I stated about the conditions of the apartment buildings... Thanx Herodotus

[quote]It might have been a one-year blip, but in 2010 (the crime data available in PGH SNAP), Fairywood had one of the lowest crime rates in the city.[quote]

Shadyside, Oakland, Bloomfield, Mt. Washington & the Southside all have high crime rates, are they some of the most dangerous places in the city? Fairywood is in-between sketchy & ghetto; there's gang activity, yet there's rarely ever violence... IMO it isn't as bad as even part of Sheraden these days, but it's definitely worse than Uptown/Soho, East Dutchtown or Elliott. To me it's in the same category as parts of: South Oakland, West Oakland, Lower Hill, northetn East Liberty, "Columbia Park", Upper Manchester, and "HoodTown"

Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
[quote=Uptown kid;26132804][quote]Actually, that's not true. Westgate was all white when it opened. It became predominantly black because white tenants got tired of the crime spilling over from Broadhead. Working class blacks weren't exactly in a hurry to live there either, so the owners opened it up to Section 8 tenants, making it the equivalent of a housing project, though it remained a private development.[quote]
- Wow I stand corrected... OP nm what I stated about the conditions of the apartment buildings... Thanx Herodotus

[quote]It might have been a one-year blip, but in 2010 (the crime data available in PGH SNAP), Fairywood had one of the lowest crime rates in the city.
Quote:

Shadyside, Oakland, Bloomfield, Mt. Washington & the Southside all have high crime rates, are they some of the most dangerous places in the city? Fairywood is in-between sketchy & ghetto; there's gang activity, yet there's rarely ever violence... IMO it isn't as bad as even part of Sheraden these days, but it's definitely worse than Uptown/Soho, East Dutchtown or Elliott. To me it's in the same category as parts of: South Oakland, West Oakland, Lower Hill, northetn East Liberty, "Columbia Park", Upper Manchester, and "HoodTown"
Yeah. At this point, Fairywood only has a handful of residential blocks left. There are really not enough people left to make it a really dangerous area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh