Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times

Advertisements

Living in Lawrencevale or Millvale like has been suggested would probably be best to save you both from crossing over inbound and outbound traffic during the same commute...since you're both working practically at opposite ends of the County. Finding the neighborhood is easy. Finding the individual apartment is the hard part. Especially if one of the factors is pets...you just have to check the classifieds, call property management agencies, etc.

Finding the right community is easy, because nowhere is safe. This is the Big City and strangers are always targeted - Be afraid!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Finding the right community is easy, because nowhere is safe. This is the Big City and strangers are always targeted - Be afraid!!
Shame on you!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Lawrenceville and Millvale are dead center---both 25 minutes for both people.

Maybe in the morning. I'd love to see you get from Robinson to millvale or Lawrenceville that quick in the afternoon. You must have some sort of flying car or a secret passage if you think it's possible.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Maybe in the morning. I'd love to see you get from Robinson to millvale or Lawrenceville that quick in the afternoon. You must have some sort of flying car or a secret passage if you think it's possible.
When was the last time you were on Route 28? Even though the north bound lane is reduced to a single lane during construction, traffic moves rather quickly now that the bridge lights have been eliminated. Once the construction is complete, commuting north on 28 will be an absolute breeze. The easy commute going south right now, even during construction, is proof of that. Route 28 north is only bad from 3pm to 5pm in the afternoon. The odds of the OP traveling north at those times are slim since she is working at the mall. Mall stores generally open at 10am. If she's working an 8 hour day and starting at opening, she won'tlikely be getting off until 6pm when there is literally no traffic. I'm always amazed at how quickly I can get to/from Robinson via Route 28. It mentally seems so far away but it's not. And keep in mind, you're wanting the husband to travel route 28. It's only fair they both have fair commutes and contend with the same traffic issues.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,412 times
Thank you everyone for your replies!! I really appreciate the help!!

I'm not working at the mall, but somewhere nearby that I might have to stop in daily for a short period of time even if I'm not scheduled... that's why we'd prefer (and my husband is OK with) being closer to my work than his. I'll also be working varied shifts...sometimes day shift, sometimes until midnight, etc, and would like the shorter commute at the late night.

His shifts will likely be 9-7 in Tarentum, so I appreciate the traffic info for his possible routes to take into consideration while picking an area to live.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM

He won't have any traffic coming home regardless of where you live. In the morning, he'll have traffic on the Parkway West at Greentree Hill (the hill going from Greentree to the tunnels) and a slow down on Route 28 at Heinz factory until construction is completed on route 28. If you want to live on the western side of all rivers, Mt. Washington would be the optimal neighborhood because he can avoid Greentree Hill and the tunnels but he'll still have to contend with traffic on the 528 bridges. The West End bridge isn't a good alternative commute for the other areas you mentioned. If you stay on the west side of the rivers, he'll have serious traffic in the morning because he will need to leave the house during the peak of rush hour. You won't have the same problem in the morning from Millvale or Lawrenceville because you'll be going against traffic for the most part.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 PM

116 posts, read 216,082 times
Quote:
When was the last time you were on Route 28? Even though the north bound lane is reduced to a single lane during construction, traffic moves rather quickly now that the bridge lights have been eliminated. Once the construction is complete, commuting north on 28 will be an absolute breeze. The easy commute going south right now, even during construction, is proof of that. Route 28 north is only bad from 3pm to 5pm in the afternoon. The odds of the OP traveling north at those times are slim since she is working at the mall. Mall stores generally open at 10am. If she's working an 8 hour day and starting at opening, she won'tlikely be getting off until 6pm when there is literally no traffic. I'm always amazed at how quickly I can get to/from Robinson via Route 28. It mentally seems so far away but it's not. And keep in mind, you're wanting the husband to travel route 28. It's only fair they both have fair commutes and contend with the same traffic issues.
Agree with most of this, but 28 North traffic around the Heinz plant is bad much later than 5pm. I've driven it recently around 3 PM and its not bad at all. Last week I was leaving Mt Washington to head north on 28 around 7 PM and I was in traffic from the Veterans Bridge exit ramp to the merge point for a solid 45 minutes.

To the OP, Mt Wash to Tarentum at 9am it shouldn't be bad at all and the reverse commute for him will be fine (maybe a little traffic if he has to go through the tunnels and up Greentree hill at late rush hour if you're living west.)

Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Heinz is hit and miss during this construction. I usually hit traffic at 3pm, but sometimes the traffic isn't bad. Interestingly, there's an amazing about of northbound traffic backed up there in the morning. When I'm flying south inbound in the morning, I'm always shocked at the backup going north. With the bridge lights eliminated, it does move fastr than prior to construction. No more cops controlling the lights (we all know how they can screw things up!). It's just that merge from two lanes into one lane that bottlenecks everything. But it does seem to move quicker than it did when there was a light at the bridge.

Since the will be renting, it's a chance they can take because they'll be able to move in a year if it doesn't work out.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
When was the last time you were on Route 28? Even though the north bound lane is reduced to a single lane during construction, traffic moves rather quickly now that the bridge lights have been eliminated. Once the construction is complete, commuting north on 28 will be an absolute breeze.
At 8 am this morning, and then again at 5 pm this afternoon... same thing as every day.

I wasn't talking about rt 28 when I said it's impossible to make it in 25 minutes. Rt 28 is and will be a moog point when the construction is done. Her husband will have no problems at all driving to and from work in Tarentum... the only issue that MAY come up is near the Highland Park bridge in the afternoon. People don't understand how this interchange works and the exit ramps before hand slow things down a bit. It's never too bad, but being one lane definitely causes some small issues.

The issue comes with driving from Robinson to the Millvale/Lawrenceville area in the afternoon. There is NO WAY you will make it through the Ft Pitt tunnels in 25 minutes. Even going through West End, you will not make it that quick. Even closer to 7pm, traffic still exists and though it may be lighter, it's still there. When's the last time you drove this road in the afternoon/evening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh