U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,572,762 times
Don't investigate a house in: most of Crafton Heights, most of Sheridan, most of Fairywood, parts if Mckees Rocks, as well as Elliot, West End, Esplen, Caritier's City. This places are not very safe, while Crafton is fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM

1,043 posts, read 654,790 times
I recognize that it's a different neighbourhood than the thread title, but it's been brought up a few times. Is Crafton Heights really that terrible? My husband and I are interested in a few housing listings there, and the houses themselves seem lovely. Keep in mind that we don't have children, don't ever plan to have children, and we're homebodies that keep to ourselves for the most part (we wouldn't go walking at 2 am, that sort of thing). And there's usually at least one person home at all times since my husband works from home, so the house wouldn't be guaranteed to be empty from 9-5 every day, etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM

Now I don't live any ware near Crafton Heights so I could be very wrong. Here us what I think... If you don't plan to have kids than sure... Use street smarts and be aware though that it is a neiborghood with more than the norm of "riff raff"... Although you could find much safer nieborghoods. Yet if you do find your self living there wear green if you're going out, because it's the Westside Convitctz hood. It's not as bad as Sheradan or Fairywood but slightly worse than McKess Rocks & Elliot. Again I don't even live on the west side so I could be a little off.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 PM

3,891 posts, read 3,699,375 times
Hi Sparrow,

I live on the west side of town (McKees Rocks) and I can give you some insight into these neighborhoods.

You do not have anything to fear in Crafton, Crafton Heights, or Ingram. These are all reasonably nice areas. Crafton Heights has more of a blue collar, working class vibe. It's a safe and quiet area.

The neighborhood of "Fairywood" is extremely small, only a couple streets in size. I would hardly call it a menace. It just has some of the poorer, section 8 residents living there.

McKees Rocks and Stowe Township (where I live) varies from run-down and poor, to well maintained older housing (depending on the block). Again, this is not an unsafe area (for the most part). It just lacks vibrancy.

Elliott & West End Village are the two oldest neighborhoods on the west side of town, and have the most historic buildings. They are mostly working-class, blue collar communities, but again they are quiet and safe. Windgap is a suburban-like neighborhood with lots of 1950s style brick homes. Esplen is a run-down, but generally safe (and tiny) neighborhood located along route 51.

Sheraden is the largest neighborhood on the West End. This neighborhood varies by block. There are some really nice areas in Sheraden, but some parts of the neighborhood seem to me very sketchy, and most of the crime that happens in the West End occurs here. If you were buying in this neighborhood, it would be wise to check out the street in person.

I don't think you will have a problem in Crafton Heights. It seems like a reasonably stable (if not vibrant) neighborhood. The most vibrant neighborhoods on the west side of town are Crafton and Ingram. These neighborhoods also have the most impressive housing stock.

The West End neighborhoods are great, especially if you are looking for a slower pace (and less traffic) in the city.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 AM

3,891 posts, read 3,699,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Don't investigate a house in: most of Crafton Heights, most of Sheridan, most of Fairywood, parts if Mckees Rocks, as well as Elliot, West End, Esplen, Caritier's City. This places are not very safe, while Crafton is fine...
I disagree with this post. I live on the west side of town, and I'm not afraid to go into any of these communities. West End, Elliott, Esplen, Crafton Heights are all reasonably safe and quiet. I have walked around all of these neighborhoods when taking pictures for my neighborhood photo tours, and I travel through them frequently. I work in a genuinely rough part of town (Lincoln-Larimer). The West End is very tame (and quiet!). Esplen and McKees Rocks may look rough, but they are not as bad as they look.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 AM

20 posts, read 59,823 times
I'm over 50 and i live in Crafton now and grew up there. i spent time away in the military and working in several parts of the country. On a map, Crafton and Crafton Heights are right next to each other. Fortunately, b/c of the hills and geography of the area they actually seem farther apart. I would not live in Crafton Heights, even w/o kids. It's not like there are drive-bys there every week, but it does end up on the evening news alot for typical "low life" reports. Better to move on a half mile for a better neighborhood.

Overall, i agree w/ alleghenyangel though. you'll probably be safe there, but if you're making a move, why move to a place that doesn't seem to be getting better and could get worse? Crafton has an involved community and residents who care about where they live.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM

656 posts, read 658,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon19sun79star View Post
My husband & I currently live in Biggert Manor in Crafton and like many of the homes we've seen for sale but need to be aware of what we can spend and how much work we're willing to put in. Thanks-
I loved Biggert Manor as a kid, I always thought that it was so neat. My grandparents' house bordered Biggert Manor (it was the last house on Hawthorne, my grandfather lived there until he passed away in 2003). As much as he cursed the buckeye trees from the Manor that dropped tons of buckeyes in his yard, it was a neat place.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 AM

925 posts, read 1,985,313 times
Crafton Heights is no Homewood , Hill District or even Mt. Oliver as for as crime is concerned. While it is not exactly without it's problems , I do not foresee CH going into full scale decline. There are still many stable blocks with people that do care and maintain.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM

1,043 posts, read 654,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse58 View Post
I'm over 50 and i live in Crafton now and grew up there. i spent time away in the military and working in several parts of the country. On a map, Crafton and Crafton Heights are right next to each other. Fortunately, b/c of the hills and geography of the area they actually seem farther apart. I would not live in Crafton Heights, even w/o kids. It's not like there are drive-bys there every week, but it does end up on the evening news alot for typical "low life" reports. Better to move on a half mile for a better neighborhood.

Overall, i agree w/ alleghenyangel though. you'll probably be safe there, but if you're making a move, why move to a place that doesn't seem to be getting better and could get worse? Crafton has an involved community and residents who care about where they live.
Because we're buying a home outright with cash, and we haven't seen any homes in Crafton that meet our needs/wants in our price range. It is not, however, the only area we're considering.

Thank you everyone!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Again I am a none west sider
Well I had one homeboi De Andre who lived in Sheradan... He was tuff, clownish, getto what ever you call it and his older brother was a westside convict. It's a notorious gang represented by gangsta rapper/ producer Ray Zellous from Westgate Villige(amongst the most dangerous housing projects in the city). Now Fairywood is much safer cause westgate & broadhead meaner were destroyed and now rebuilt. Parts of Fairywood & Sheradan are not that safe because of the westside convictz. That same gang a few years ago linked up in parts of Crafton Heights, this may explain the noteable crime increase... I'm not saying any part of the west side is close to being a horrible part of the city( fairywood was if you know your crack epicidemic history though).

The west end and Elliot's streets are very clean as you can see in the video Pittsburgh Hood Living as some kids rep the trap boyz... A Pittsburgh version of a gang (10-15 people wearing white T-shirts, with jeans, and white shoes.

While if you were to live in the southern part of McKees Rocks you would notice the edgyness and crime.
No nieborhood on the west side is very bad. Some are could be better, but most people are reluctant to say that parts of the westside are bad but not that bad... Not just blue color or non vibrant, yet some and parts of nieborhoods are not nieborghoods if you are raising a family. The west end is truly quite though. The gangs and crime don't effect the whole community either maily the users, dealers, and their family's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh