Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 65,676 times

Advertisements

thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 AM

20 posts, read 91,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofem44511 View Post
Yes you have it right. I commute from Youngstown to Coraopolis currently. I am looking to move closer and just trying to figure out where. I want to do a land contract or rent something. I heard Crafton was a good area , along with Swissvale, Aliquippa and others versus where I am going to look at a house in Mckeesport on Sunday.
I really don't think Swissvale would be a good choice for your commute. you would have to traverse a notorious tunnel twice a day which is responsible for most traffic jams on that side of the city. you would be adding at least an hour to your daily commute w/ little benefit. i'm sure alliquipa has some nice areas, but i'm just not sure about where they are. alliquipa generally has a reputation for being crime-ridden and blighted.

Mckeesport may be a better commute than youngstown, but if you're moving anyway (for a better commute, I assume) i sure wouldn't be looking at Mckeesport. way too far. maybe you are thinking of McKees Rocks? That is near Coraopolis but no where near McKeesport.

the areas immediately surrounding Coraopolis (indeed, Corrie itself isn't so bad) offer some very nice areas to live. Robinson, Kenmawr, Crescent, Crafton, Ingram, Carnegie, Scott, etc. It depends on the type of neighborhood you are looking for: quasi-urban, dense residential, mixed use, suburban, etc.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 53,686 times
Replying to RachelleP's post...

I'm originally from San Diego and currently live in the Riverside County area. I have family who still live in Pittsburgh and have visited them on an off for the last 30+ years. My wife and I plan on moving there as soon as the kids are out of school. I have an aunt who lives in Crafton. The neighborhood is quiet and everyone seems to know each other. I was amazed just how neighborly everone was as compared to Southern California. It is not uncommon, if you have family there, to be referred to as "so-and-sos" son, daughter, etc...I was known as "Jimmy's" son by everyone I met. Love the place and the people!! I would gladly trade Pittsburgh traffic for LA or SD traffic anytime- not to mention the air quality and changing seasons. As you know already, there is no comparison when talking about cost-of-living.
I have family all over Pittsburgh, but will probably move to Crafton when the time comes.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 18,019 times
Default crafton

I can tell most of ya are looking for a neighborhood that suits the style of homes and areas. I think by far the same type of homes in Crafton are in a neighboring community like Bellevue and Emsworth, which North of the city of Pittsburgh.
I was never that excited about Crafton ...it's too close to Sheraden (very bad neighborhood) I have worked as a waitress while in college... In Bellevue, Emsworth and West view... you got the option of some of best that area has to offer. ( Highland golf course) It's very close to 279 that will take to one the fastest growing town in America Cranberry township, PA.
It's nice here in Bellevue because there are no bars. It is still close to the city ( never mind Rt. 65 traffic during rush hour) I like that I live in Charlotte, NC and a small town in Georgia because I found a home like the south with partial wrap around porch like those in the south. everyone I talk to locally love Bellevue, Emsworth( alittle more expensive) and even more expensive 10 minutes further up 65 N is a beautiful and exclusive area called Sewickley...

Old 04-28-2007, 09:23 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghgirl89 View Post
I can tell most of ya are looking for a neighborhood that suits the style of homes and areas. I think by far the same type of homes in Crafton are in a neighboring community like Bellevue and Emsworth, which North of the city of Pittsburgh.
I was never that excited about Crafton ...it's too close to Sheraden (very bad neighborhood) I have worked as a waitress while in college... In Bellevue, Emsworth and West view... you got the option of some of best that area has to offer. ( Highland golf course) It's very close to 279 that will take to one the fastest growing town in America Cranberry township, PA.
It's nice here in Bellevue because there are no bars. It is still close to the city ( never mind Rt. 65 traffic during rush hour) I like that I live in Charlotte, NC and a small town in Georgia because I found a home like the south with partial wrap around porch like those in the south. everyone I talk to locally love Bellevue, Emsworth( alittle more expensive) and even more expensive 10 minutes further up 65 N is a beautiful and exclusive area called Sewickley...
Don't leave out Ben Avon -- my sister lives there -- in fact, when she and her hubby broke up and they sold the big old mansion in Ben Avon, she told the realtor she was only looking in Ben Avon. It's between Bellvue and Emsworth...

Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
<snip>
I was never that excited about Crafton ...it's too close to Sheraden (very bad neighborhood) <snip>
huh? <scratching head> "it's too close to Sheraden"?? yeah, sheraden is not the best neighborhood and it's "close" to crafton--with Ingram and hill b/w it and crafton. really now, what areas near the city are NOT "close" to other bad areas? the other areas you mention are just as close or closer to other bad neighborhoods.

Quote:
... In Bellevue, Emsworth and West view... you got the option of some of best that area has to offer. ( Highland golf course) It's very close to 279 that will take to one the fastest growing town in America Cranberry township, PA.
Cranberry might be the one of the fastest growing town in America, but it can't be compared to Crafton. For one thing, it's pretty far from the city. it's in another county and you need to get on the highway to get to Pittsburgh. Actually, you need to get in your car to go or do just about anything in Cranberry. it's a typical late 20th century suburb. if you want to live far out from the city center, in a place where everything was built in the last 10 years and all your neighbors houses look just like yours then Cranberry might be what you are looking for. Personally, it feels very sterile to me.

Crafton is a little gritty, a little blue collar, mixed in with very well groomed and well kept streets. it's a mixed use neighborhood with very little commercial activity--mostly residential, but there are professional offices, barber shops, beauty shops, churches, schools, a library, small local restaurants, etc. that you can WALK to. People know each other and are eager to help newcomers become integrated into the neighborhood. you can walk through any part of crafton at any time of night or day w/o feeling threatened. AND you are about a 10 minute bus ride from the center of the city.

Quote:
all nice places--maybe there's a thread on the forum called "Tell us about Bellevue, PA"?

Old 10-27-2007, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 28,430 times
crafton hts is it the same as crafton, pa. I am looking into moving to pittsburgh and notice on the search engine crafton has a lot of unit housing. are these project, apartment, senior citizen building.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthing View Post
crafton hts is it the same as crafton, pa. I am looking into moving to pittsburgh and notice on the search engine crafton has a lot of unit housing. are these project, apartment, senior citizen building.
Hi Missthing, Crafton Heights is definitely NOT the same as Crafton--a distinction that is sometimes also missed by locals and even the local tv news teams. Crafton Heights is w/in the City of Pittsburgh, while Crafton is a separate municipality from the city. Crafton has its own mayor, council, police force, etc. Have a problem w/ something going on in the borough? Walk down the street and knock on your councilman's door and let him or her know.

On a map, Crafton and Crafton Heights share a border, but b/c of the hilly terrain there is more than a line on a map to define the boundary. Yes, there are a couple streets where Crafton and Crafton Heights mingle very closely, but the majority of Crafton is very separate from the heights.

Crafton Heights is not really too bad of an area, but it is lower on the socio-economic level.

As for your last question, yes, Crafton does have a bit of unit housing. There are two senior towers that are well maintained, and a lot of 4-plex type apartment units scattered throughout the residential neighborhoods. These buildings are older and blend in very well w/ the single family homes that surround them. Many of these residents are long time tenants. There are a few larger apt complexes w/ 20 or more units and some of these have section 8 assisted tenants, but there is nothing that could be described as "projects" in Crafton. many of the assisted units house older tenants or those w/ disabilities.

just a point of trivia: if you remember the movie "Silence of the Lambs" --the apt complex where the girl was abducted in the parking lot--that was in Crafton.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,346 times
I'm not sure if anyone is still active on this forum, but if so...is it reasonable to think you could find a well-maintained larger home on one of the streets mentioned above for $180-200? My husband & I currently live in Biggert Manor in Crafton and like many of the homes we've seen for sale but need to be aware of what we can spend and how much work we're willing to put in. Thanks-

Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
For that price range you should be able to find a well-maintained 4/2 in Crafton with fairly recent mechanical and cosmetic upgrades. You may not get the "latest and greatest" in the form of granite countertops and stainless appliances and all that, but you should find a home with decor that is not horribly out of date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh